Stillen's races pipes replace the cats

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Stillen's race pipes replace the cats

Here is a photo of the Stillen's race pipes that fit between the stock exhaust manifolds and muffler, or cat back system. They replace the cats and bolt on as the standard cats do. I believe these are mufflers with packing around the pipe section with holes in it. Ford racing also makes cat delete pipes that are only a pipe. For those of us that value our hearing and already have a cat back muffler less system, this may be a useful option. The Ford cat delete pipes with a cat back system probably would be louder than the FRPP rear exit headers!

Attachments

• GT race pipes.jpg
    GT race pipes.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
if you keep your cats in place those mufflers will be about the same DB level. they are either glass packs or resonators.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Freddy they replace the cats and fit in the same location. Stillen says the sound is louder than with the cats in place.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I was at Stillen last week checking out their race FGT and Kyle Millen said those replacement race pipes for the cats are EXTREMELY loud with their X pipe.
I'm getting their X pipe installed tomorrow. :banana

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I was at Stillen last week checking out their race FGT and Kyle Millen said those replacement race pipes for the cats are EXTREMELY loud with their X pipe.
I'm getting their X pipe installed tomorrow. :banana

I've already got an Accufab x-pipe. How much are the stillen cat replacements and whats the advantage over just replacing the cats with straight pipes?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
In the stock GT, I believe the cats do as much "muffling" as the muffler. Remove/replace them and the car will be LOUD!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I've already got an Accufab x-pipe. How much are the stillen cat replacements and whats the advantage over just replacing the cats with straight pipes?

The list price is $1,175.00.

I was hoping that the Stillen cat replacements were going to muffle the sound much like the cats, but it seems that they will be much louder than the cats. A straight pipe with a cat back (no muffler) would be the loudest exhaust! I would guess it would make the FRPP rear exits seem quiet.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007

The factory cats do quite a bit of muffling. Running straight pipes would be EXTREMELY!!! loud. On our cat-delete race pipes we have included a resonator which helps cut down on some of the noise.

The race pipes definitely put out a more aggressive sound and are a bit louder than a GT equipped with the factory cats. Most people really like the sound, but some might find it a bit loud.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
I don't know if anyone else plans on going to the Irvine car show this weekend but we will be there with our car. We could fire it up if anyone wanted to hear it.

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
They look very similar to the FRPP parts. I have a set but have not installed them yet. I have heard that indeed they will be quite loud. I think several others on this forum may have the Ford parts, and I would like to hear from them regarding the sound level.

43h7pea.jpg

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
The cat replacement pipes with resonators keep the sound volume at an acceptable level. I have had them for over a year. If you want to save some serious $$$ on cat replacement pipes, let me know. Another manufacturer made these a couple years ago.

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006
Michigan, Upper Peninsula
They look very similar to the FRPP parts. I have a set but have not installed them yet. I have heard that indeed they will be quite loud. I think several others on this forum may have the Ford parts, and I would like to hear from them regarding the sound level.

I just installed my FRPP cat delete pipes after getting them back from being Jet-Hot coated. I'm using the cat delete pipes with the Ida exhaust, which I also had Jet-Hot coated. I got a chance to run the car today before winter returns to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. HOLY S--T!! I thought I loved this car before, but now I'm seduced! Compared to the Ida exhaust with the factory cats, the Ida and the FRPP cat delete pipes are not just louder, but lower pitched, throatier, and have a wonderfully more defined rap. Took the car to two of my more critical car friends who reacted with a few appropriate HOLY F--K's. I wasn't sure what the outcome would be prior to the install, but the Ida and FRPP cat delete pipes have a wonderful synergy.:cheers

Attachments

• GT 3.jpg
    GT 3.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 237
  • GT 5.jpg
    GT 5.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 237
  • GT 1.jpg
    GT 1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
I just installed my FRPP cat delete pipes after getting them back from being Jet-Hot coated. I'm using the cat delete pipes with the Ida exhaust, which I also had Jet-Hot coated. I got a chance to run the car today before winter returns to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. HOLY S--T!! I thought I loved this car before, but now I'm seduced! Compared to the Ida exhaust with the factory cats, the Ida and the FRPP cat delete pipes are not just louder, but lower pitched, throatier, and have a wonderfully more defined rap. Took the car to two of my more critical car friends who reacted with a few appropriate HOLY F--K's. I wasn't sure what the outcome would be prior to the install, but the Ida and FRPP cat delete pipes have a wonderful synergy.:cheers
Thanks, and thanks for the good pics. So, not TOO loud? How about drone, or did you get a chance to run at low, constant throttle on the freeway at 60 - 70? That's usually where the drone sets in. I love the look - very nice. Maybe I will go ahead and put mine on!

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006
Thanks, and thanks for the good pics. So, not TOO loud? How about drone, or did you get a chance to run at low, constant throttle on the freeway at 60 - 70? That's usually where the drone sets in. I love the look - very nice. Maybe I will go ahead and put mine on!

I will not get a chance to take her out for some steady highway cruising until after the current snow-front clears, so I can't comment yet on drone. It is definitely louder than the Ida with stock cats, but not as loud as the FRPP rear exit headers ( at least as I remember them from hearing Shoboat's at the August Rally). The loudness could be modulated by judicious throttle use. However, the rap so so seductive in quality, that it was difficult to want to be judicious!:biggrin Bear in mind that this was my first impression today. Too bad local weather is calling for snow for the next five days. I will post again after I've had some more extensive listening. But the first impression was WOW!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.

Looks great jet coated:banana

LUKE

GT Owner
Apr 7, 2007
WY
where to get set of pipes ?

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006
where to get set of pipes ?

I purchased mine from Jeg's High Performance. jegs.com or 800-345-4545.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I purchased mine from Jeg's High Performance. jegs.com or 800-345-4545.

Are yours the same ones listed on the Ford High Performance site for $700?

Were there any issues with o2 sensors or check engine lights?

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006
Are yours the same ones listed on the Ford High Performance site for $700?

Were there any issues with o2 sensors or check engine lights?

Yes, they are the Ford Racing part (part# 5230-GTX).
I had the downstream o2 sensors turned off last year via an SCT tune when I had a 2.7" pulley installed.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Yes, they are the Ford Racing part (part# 5230-GTX).
I had the downstream o2 sensors turned off last year via an SCT tune when I had a 2.7" pulley installed.

How much louder would you say the m-5230-gtx are than using the cats with the Ida? Any drone?