Stereo Install Ford GT Done - Rear view Cam

Exoticare

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Jul 18, 2006
Great White North
Hey All...

We just finished modding 2 of our clients GT's...

1. Head-unit Replacement (JVC EXAD with 3.5" LCD Display / DVD player / MP3 DVD/ Satellite Radio)
2. Rear View Camera ( Full color wide Angle Pioneer Camera - display wired to reverse switch as well as hidden switch to turn on at any time)
3. ALPINE MRP F450 - 4 Channel Amplifier
4. Alpine 6 1/4" Type-R Component Speakers with Tweeters

The factory head-unit has been replaced with the JVC EXAD unit.
The factory GT speakers have been replaced with the Alpine Component speaker system
The Tweeters were custom mounted into the doors - following the same specification as the U.S. model GT option
A rear view camera was flush mounted to the rear valence, above the license plate - looks like stock
The Alpine Amplifier is mounted behind the passenger seat - and does not effect seat travel.

The system sounds very clean and crisp - the stereo can be cranked up to full volume without distortion.
For those that may want a bit more bass - we can install a sub in the passenger foot-well
The head unit is able to tilt for optimal viewing - the head-unit also has a screen saver that matches the aluminum interior.

The rear view camera display is activated when Reverse gear is selected - or with a hidden switch below the steering wheel.

Optional Sirius or XM Satellite Radio is available.

A conventional Flip up display will not work in this car as of the hump in the console.
The rear view camera is a nice to have to help in the rear view and great to keep track of who's behind you
This system sounds much better than stock and allows more enjoyment as it also plays regular DVD's and you can play a burned DVD with over 3000 MP3's on it to listen to.
I-Pod connection is also available.

DSC02974.JPG

DSC02975.JPG

DSC02976.JPG

DSC02978.JPG

DSC02979.JPG

DSC02982.JPG

DSC02983.JPG

DSC02969.JPG

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
That is extremley PIMP! I am going to see about that today.

It's hard to imagine being able to see what you are backing into!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Very clean installation! Great job.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I am not a JVC fan at all, but I like the functionality of it. I will still wait for Eclipse or someone to come out with one. It is only a matter of time.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I really want a camera for backing up, Already cracked a rear spoiler.
So I guess the pic where the girl is would be from the camera?

I don't want to change any speakers, amps or anything else, is there a wire harness available so I can do this with no changes at all the the GT.

How about a wireless backup camera that I can just stick a screen in one of my dozen or so storage spaces? :wink

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Someone had an Audiovox monitor rear view mirror that attached over the existing mirror. Really looked normal, I was very surprised (can;t remember who, but it was white with blue stripes). This way you would not have to mod the head unit at all and deal with the amps in the sub etc.

Note when camera is off, the monitor "disapears" and you have a full rear view mirror.

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/...&langId=-1&page=&urlString=&productId=&brand=

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
nice job...part numners for the JVC?

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
Specracer said:
Someone had an Audiovox monitor rear view mirror that attached over the existing mirror. Really looked normal, I was very surprised (can;t remember who, but it was white with blue stripes). This way you would not have to mod the head unit at all and deal with the amps in the sub etc.

Note when camera is off, the monitor "disapears" and you have a full rear view mirror.

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/GenProductListCmd?type=nprev&catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&categoryId=5085&langId=-1&page=&urlString=&productId=&brand=

That is pretty cool, but the camera looks bulky. Looks very useful though!

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
Was this car equipped with the RF basic stereo or McIntosh? Just curious as mine will have McIntosh and I've had a lot of systems built in other cars. I will be evaluating the systems performance, but I'm hoping to be able to keep the head as I've used a McIntosh head and amp in the past(was back in '97 though) with good results.

jasper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2006
australia/ 51st state
ozgt; what part of oz are you from?

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
The JVC looks nice, but I want to keep my Car Stock. Also, I like the idea of the image on the rear view, so I can see out the front and sides as well.

I saw the Audiovox at Circuit City, they have them in stock, but the rear view is hugh and I was affraid it would block too much front vision, and look terrible. I couldn't find any info about sized for the rear views, Audiovox has multiple models, but no info on size.

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
jasper said:
ozgt; what part of oz are you from?

Hi jasper, I'm just south of Sydney.

Interesting comment from my friend who owns a car audio biz and has done my work for the last 5 years. He sells the same JVC heads and made the following comment on the install:

How bad must the factory sounds be? Nothing against the JVC as it it easily the top of the bottom group.

Nothing a pioneer head http://www.pioneer.com.sg/storefront/ProductDetail/default.asp?ProductId=349&CatId=2,24,32 (exclusive independant model) and some Focal BE won't fix. and just to top that off have a look here http://www.focal.tm.fr/accueil_en.htm

I have to agree with him there. I don't quite understand the logic of putting JVC/Alpine in a $150k+ car when you could easily justify using higher end components instead.

jasper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2006
australia/ 51st state
ozgt
pm sent

Last edited:

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
OzGT said:
I don't quite understand the logic of putting JVC/Alpine in a $150k+ car when you could easily justify using higher end components instead.

In a previous car, I had Focal BE's and a big Audison amp, and it frankly wasn't worth the money. And that particular car was double the price of my Ford GT. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you spend on an audio set-up, good sound is good sound.

The black GT in this thread is my car, and I can tell you that I am very happy with the result. The idea of the project was to integrate good sound, rear-view camera and a stealthy install. My feeling is that all points were acheived, and the products chosen are well-suited to the goals. I chose not to have a sub, but with a sub the audio would be improved somewhat.

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
centerpunch said:
The logic is that it's the single-DIN unit with the largest (3.5") LCD screen.

Why is the LCD size more important than the SQ of the unit, sorry I don't get it? It's not like you can see that much on that size unit anyway, I've seen them in the showroom. You might as well have gone full A/V and put in a KW-AVX706 in if the screen was so important.

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
Clax said:
In a previous car, I had Focal BE's and a big Audison amp, and it frankly wasn't worth the money. And that particular car was double the price of my Ford GT. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you spend on an audio set-up, good sound is good sound.

The black GT in this thread is my car, and I can tell you that I am very happy with the result. The idea of the project was to integrate good sound, rear-view camera and a stealthy install. My feeling is that all points were acheived, and the products chosen are well-suited to the goals. I chose not to have a sub, but with a sub the audio would be improved somewhat.

Clax, I've never used Audison myself, let alone forked out for Focal BE's. But in 2 car's I've used Focal Utopias in, I've been able to appreciate the resulting SQ. That's after having used Focal Poly Kevlars for some years prior. The most expensive speakers I've used were Boston Z6's in my SL55 along with the A/D/S amp that came out of my 850csi when I sold it. Frankly, I'm hard pressed to say I'm getting the results out of the Z6's to justify their cost. On the other hand the complex integration with the factory electronics is probably the biggest hinderance to them in that install. I did hear them demo'ed in a very ordinary car/basic setup owned by the BA rep and they really shone.
I started building SQ comp systems 12 years ago and used to hand pick the components I used, often upgrading or changing bits. I've listened to many brands at many price points over the years and what it boils down to is what pleases your ear and what you can afford. I've put together several great budget system in cars for myself(that didn't justify expensive gear) and for friends(recycled my old gear), that weren't greatly expensive, but needed to lift the poor factory sound. I've always been very pleased and often surprised with the results. Worth noting that good quality installation can really make all the difference there too.

Townshend

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
OzGT said:
Why is the LCD size more important than the SQ of the unit, sorry I don't get it? You might as well have gone full A/V and put in a KW-AVX706 in if the screen was so important.

Again - the logic is the largest single-din screen.

Find a GT and sit in one - you will quickly see that putting in a double-din KW-AVX706 is a recreational impossibility without serious modifications to the dash.

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
OzGT said:
Why is the LCD size more important than the SQ of the unit, sorry I don't get it? It's not like you can see that much on that size unit anyway, I've seen them in the showroom. You might as well have gone full A/V and put in a KW-AVX706 in if the screen was so important.

There is only room for a single DIN unit the in GT. You can't even have a flip-screen due to the hangover above the head unit.

Surprisingly, the 3.5" screen is very very clear, and easily viewable. For the GT, I don't think there is a better solution. If you don't want a rear backup camera, then there are a whole host of other options for single DIN units.

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
Townshend said:
Again - the logic is the largest single-din screen.

Find a GT and sit in one - you will quickly see that putting in a double-din KW-AVX706 is a recreational impossibility without serious modifications to the dash.

Ok sorry, got me there totally(dang I hate missing the obvious!), I just saw that model in passing on an awarded list of A/V related car components (Euro EISA awards list). I looked at it way too quickly and assumed it was a flip out, like the Pioneer model I use in my truck. I see can see now from pics how hangover would kill that idea as well. I might note sitting in one is a virtual impossibility till I get mine, that is unless I want to get on a plane and fly 1.5 hours to the Ford Performance Vehicle offices in Melbourne, as they are the only people who have one here at the moment.
I guess if the reverse camera is the priority then you put up with the JVC SQ. I think if I were going to try reverse cam, I'd get one of those mirrors with the built in screen. Then again, I didn't buy the GT with the idea of adding those kind of features, so I'll live poor rear vision.