Steering wheel squeak

ETW

GT Owner
Jan 16, 2006
As odd as it sounds, lately the steering wheel in my GT has been squeaking whenever you turn it left or right an inch or so. Anyone have an idea of what to do?
Thanks

Gordo

GT Owner
May 27, 2009
Did you ever find out what was causing the squeak in your steering wheel. I have the same problem and its driving me crazy !:frown

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I did a search but was unable to find the TSB

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
One of my GTs had a squeak around the plastic clamshell under where the key goes in on the steering column. I could put my knee or apply upward pressure to the bottom half and it would disappear. Just a matter of tightening/ lubricating the 2 halves. Another time the actual column had a "pop" noise when steering or hitting a bump. They replaced the steering column under warranty. Said it was the same part as a Focus.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
One of my GTs had a squeak around the plastic clamshell under where the key goes in on the steering column. I could put my knee or apply upward pressure to the bottom half and it would disappear. Just a matter of tightening/ lubricating the 2 halves. Another time the actual column had a "pop" noise when steering or hitting a bump. They replaced the steering column under warranty. Said it was the same part as a Focus.

Bet it wasn't priced as a Focus part!:lol

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
so the whole steering and "key" system is Focus?

Funny what that little "FordGT" tag costs - isn't it

Gordo

GT Owner
May 27, 2009
I solved the steering wheel squeak:thumbsup The steering column shrouding was rubbing on a small piece of rubber under the steering wheel. Zip zam zoom with an exacto knife and I removed the rubber tab with the skill of a surgeon.:banana

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I solved the steering wheel squeak:thumbsup The steering column shrouding was rubbing on a small piece of rubber under the steering wheel. Zip zam zoom with an exacto knife and I removed the rubber tab with the skill of a surgeon.:banana
Can you expand on the precise location; perhaps post a few photos?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Are you sure there are no glasses caught in your steering shaft? Has Kendall worked on your car? Ever?