Starting problem

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Mine have been coated. Still had a problem!

Do you mean they still corroded?

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
Do you mean they still corroded?

I was refering to the fact that my FRRP cat delete pipes were coated and they still got hot enough to cause wiring issues with my starter.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I was refering to the fact that my FRRP cat delete pipes were coated and they still got hot enough to cause wiring issues with my starter.

You gunna have a heat shield made? Keep us posted.

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
Just to add to this thread, I had starting problems today. I went to Jonesboro to pick up my Heritage GT that Shelby has been keeping for me. Beautiful day for a drive through Arkansas. Left his shop around 11:00 and figure it reached 102-105 F during my drive. Arrived in Hot Springs after a three hour drive with some "spirited" driving spots, but the most part within the posted speed limit. About 10 mins. from my destination I noticed my check engine light had come on. Car was acting normal so continued on to Hot Springs. Once I pulled in I turned the car off and in short time frame tried to start it. No Go! No Start!

Pushed the car into my inlaws garage and started checking things that I could think of. Went through my list very quickly. Finally called Eric at Shelby's to see if he knew what to look for. Got his suggestions and went down his list. Nothing was coming up as a possibility. Called Eric back and since I have switched my exhaust out to a FRRP Borla Muffler and FRRP cat delete pipes he suggested I check the wiring condition of the starter wires. So back out to the car, look on the passenger side near the back of the transmission and what do I see, but a melted plastic connection that I assume is the wire going to the starter.

Plans were to drive the car back to Houston tomorrow, but instead it looks like it will be headed in a trailer back to Shelby's for a repair and additional heat wrap around the starter and wires. Since Ralphie has had this problem and now I, seems like if you have altered your exhaust system you should check out the starter wires and make plans to protect them from what appears to be excessive heat.

Big Thanks to Eric at Elite Autos for his help over the phone and continued service excellence.

Magic

I was lucky enough to have Shelby vacationing in the area so he stopped by my inlaw's house to see if he could help get the car started before going to the trouble of having the car towed to his shop. Didn't take long to confirm what Eric thought was my problem that my starter was not getting any current. We unhooked the air box on the passenger side and moved it over slightly so that someone could reach down and feel the starter connection from reach into the area from above. Found that the starter plug connection had melted and was not connected to the starter hence my problem. Luckly we were able to get the connector back into the starter and the car started. No idea how long it would stay connected since it was melted. Shelby said he would drive my car back to Jonesboro right then and take care of fixing the connector and adding a heat shield to the starter. So Shelby's wife in their car and he in my GT set off for a 3 hour drive back to Elite Autos. We did discuss have the car towed back to his shop and he had someone lined up that afternoon to come and get it, but when he saw how steep my inlaw's driveway was he said he'd better just get in it and go as we might not be able to get it up the hill and into a trailer. Hopefully It will be arriving in Houston this week. Looked forward in driving it back from Arkansas this last weekend, but will probably just settle on having it trailered back.

My view is if you have done anything to the existing exhaust system where you have changed anything to do with the existing cat setup you should check or be aware of potential heat problems to the electrical connector to the starter.

Thanks to Shelby, Eric and Elite Autos for all they did for my car. Talk about service after the fact!

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Now that is one of a kind service from Shelby.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Rock solid Shelby.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

Add a heat shield or insulate the wires and starter.

wonkawonka

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Lebanon
Same thing happened to me this summer. It was the battery ground despite (because of?) my cleaning of the frame connection three years earlier. While I was down there I added a redundant ground cable nearby.

Howard

Hear hear! I just solved my ignition problem that was plaguing me for years tonight, by removing the battery ground bolt, cleaning the connectors with alcohool and sanding them a bit and simply reconnecting it. The car is fixed!!!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
This sounds like a good preventative maintenance measure... On the list for next weekend.

FLASH

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 29, 2006
Atlanta, Ga.
I also had the no start problem and some of the symptoms where that when I did start it sometimes the check engine light would come on. I would turn it off and re-start it and the check engine light would be off and everything seemed fine. However without any warning I would attempt to start and it acted as though the battery was dead. I brought it to Team Ford in Marietta and Jason Adams who is very familiar with the GT performed some tests and luckily in acted up for him. He discovered that when he put his voltage tester on the positive side of the battery and touched the top of the bolt going into the frame of the grounding strap of the battery he had full 12 amp voltage but when he touched another part of the frame he only had 5 amps of voltage. He unscrewed the bolt from the grounding strap and noticed a very slight amount of corrosion on the bolt that actually goes into a nut set which was firmly attached to the frame. He cleaned it up and put some of the anti-corrosion grease on it and had 12 volts on all parts of the frame.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
This happens quite often. The GT must have a good ground to the battery which needs to be checked often as our cars are 6 & 7 years old. Many posts on this problem have been made.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I had cleaned the OEM connection a couple of years ago and thought I'd never get stuck...but I did. After solving the problem I re-cleaned the OEM connection again and then installed a new, redundant cable between the battery post and a new, threaded location on the frame. I also now carry a small selection of tools.

Howard

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I was lucky enough to have Shelby vacationing in the area so he stopped by my inlaw's house to see if he could help get the car started before going to the trouble of having the car towed to his shop. Didn't take long to confirm what Eric thought was my problem that my starter was not getting any current. We unhooked the air box on the passenger side and moved it over slightly so that someone could reach down and feel the starter connection from reach into the area from above. Found that the starter plug connection had melted and was not connected to the starter hence my problem. Luckly we were able to get the connector back into the starter and the car started. No idea how long it would stay connected since it was melted. Shelby said he would drive my car back to Jonesboro right then and take care of fixing the connector and adding a heat shield to the starter. So Shelby's wife in their car and he in my GT set off for a 3 hour drive back to Elite Autos. We did discuss have the car towed back to his shop and he had someone lined up that afternoon to come and get it, but when he saw how steep my inlaw's driveway was he said he'd better just get in it and go as we might not be able to get it up the hill and into a trailer. Hopefully It will be arriving in Houston this week. Looked forward in driving it back from Arkansas this last weekend, but will probably just settle on having it trailered back.

My view is if you have done anything to the existing exhaust system where you have changed anything to do with the existing cat setup you should check or be aware of potential heat problems to the electrical connector to the starter.

Thanks to Shelby, Eric and Elite Autos for all they did for my car. Talk about service after the fact!

Just treat all our customers the same way I would want to be treated if I were the customer. Anyone can sell a car, but the relationship after the sale is what earns a lifetime customer....
Thank you for your Business Gary. We would be nothing without our customers :)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The GT must have a good ground to the battery which needs to be checked often as our cars are 6 & 7 years old.

Good advice where GTs are concerned, Tomy.

But, my DD (truck) is eleven years old...'has 40-some-odd-thousand miles on it now...'have changed the battery once & have never touched the battery terminals other than that ('have never cleaned the neg-to-frame connection). 'Truck starts each time, every time, all the time. 'Always has. The same general thing can be said of every other vehicle I've ever owned whether foreign or domestic, econo box or 'luxury liner'. 'Never had even ONE gauge fail on any of them either - ever.

That's why I can NOT understand why the FGT seems to be the only car in the world with constant ground problems/gauge failures (at least to my knowledge). I'm well aware of all the theories regarding same, but the fact remains the FGT is the lone resident on an alien planet where this stuff is concerned.

There has to be something that's totally unique to the design of the FGT's electrical circuitry/gauge circuitry design, or some component(s) therein (or both) that is/are the root cause. Toss it/them and replace them with the standard items that all other cars use and the problem should evaporate. (Regarding the battery thing: It should be noted that millions of cars use gel cells and none of them have caught the same ground/gauge 'plague'.)

I'll shuddup now...

Pockets the Profound

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Good advice where GTs are concerned, Tomy.

But, my DD (truck) is eleven years old...'has 40-some-odd-thousand miles on it now...'have changed the battery once & have never touched the battery terminals other than that ('have never cleaned the neg-to-frame connection). 'Truck starts each time, every time, all the time. 'Always has. The same general thing can be said of every other vehicle I've ever owned whether foreign or domestic, econo box or 'luxury liner'. 'Never had even ONE gauge fail on any of them either - ever.

That's why I can NOT understand why the FGT seems to be the only car in the world with constant ground problems/gauge failures (at least to my knowledge). I'm well aware of all the theories regarding same, but the fact remains the FGT is the lone resident on an alien planet where this stuff is concerned.

There has to be something that's totally unique to the design of the FGT's electrical circuitry/gauge circuitry design, or some component(s) therein (or both) that is/are the root cause. Toss it/them and replace them with the standard items that all other cars use and the problem should evaporate. (Regarding the battery thing: It should be noted that millions of cars use gel cells and none of them have caught the same ground/gauge 'plague'.)

I'll shuddup now...

Pockets the Profound

first off I see know you drive? ~4k miles per year? thats enlighting to many.....

2nd - FGT does not have constant ground problems... OK aluminum frame etc but the scoring and dielectric greaae solves most of the ground problems... guages, different story outside of who knows what... must be the Lucas heritage which was an upsell as the jag's no longer have these issues...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
2nd - FGT does not have constant ground problems...

'Figure of speech, yeeeeeeeeew nitpickin'...:slap

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Agree with Mad. If your truck were all aluminum, you might have an occasional issue.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
NSX's are all aluminum and don't have this problem, or any other really......

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Agree with Mad. If your truck were all aluminum, you might have an occasional issue.

NSX's are all aluminum and don't have this problem, or any other really......

The ZO6 has an alum frame and a fiberglass body and it doesn't have these issues either.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I give up.

We know the NSX is the perfect car and the Z06.............Well it is a Chevrolet, Right Bowtie Pockets? :wink