Starting problem

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
:thumbsup
I like the ownership roster as it is today...............

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
Probably won't help you boys in the States, cos it turned out to be the wiring in the tracker system shorting out the engine mobiliser, despite being electronically isolated by the control room at the tracker company. The wires were cut and removed............... BINGO!!! the car started. For any UK guys the only thing I've lost is the facility for the tracker company to immobilise the engine from their control room. All other alarms, tracker, and immobiliser systems are still fully operational...............Cheers paul
The Lucas prince of darkness strikes again.........remember when Mercedes went cheap around 10 years ago with chrysler and went with lucas wiring instead of bosch......the warranty work was through the roof......pip ...pip...........gtjoey1314

paul uk

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2011
my dog could have parked that better!!! "roof" "roof" ................. 'ONLY KIDDING'

Last edited:

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
my dog could have parked that better!!! "roof" "roof"
Unplug the siren system my friend, as we will be driving past you the first week of july..........are you game for a photo shoot.....GTJOEY/NARDOCHRIS, will be invading europe in 360.........pm along the way......gtjoey1314

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Why do Brits drink warm beer?

Lucas refrigerators

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
I doubt that your problem is the same as mine, but at Rally VI, I melted the small connector to the starter due to the heat from the exhaust system, after running on the track. This resulted in the inability to start the car. However, it might be possible that your wire or connector are defective.

Just to add to this thread, I had starting problems today. I went to Jonesboro to pick up my Heritage GT that Shelby has been keeping for me. Beautiful day for a drive through Arkansas. Left his shop around 11:00 and figure it reached 102-105 F during my drive. Arrived in Hot Springs after a three hour drive with some "spirited" driving spots, but the most part within the posted speed limit. About 10 mins. from my destination I noticed my check engine light had come on. Car was acting normal so continued on to Hot Springs. Once I pulled in I turned the car off and in short time frame tried to start it. No Go! No Start!

Pushed the car into my inlaws garage and started checking things that I could think of. Went through my list very quickly. Finally called Eric at Shelby's to see if he knew what to look for. Got his suggestions and went down his list. Nothing was coming up as a possibility. Called Eric back and since I have switched my exhaust out to a FRRP Borla Muffler and FRRP cat delete pipes he suggested I check the wiring condition of the starter wires. So back out to the car, look on the passenger side near the back of the transmission and what do I see, but a melted plastic connection that I assume is the wire going to the starter.

Plans were to drive the car back to Houston tomorrow, but instead it looks like it will be headed in a trailer back to Shelby's for a repair and additional heat wrap around the starter and wires. Since Ralphie has had this problem and now I, seems like if you have altered your exhaust system you should check out the starter wires and make plans to protect them from what appears to be excessive heat.

Big Thanks to Eric at Elite Autos for his help over the phone and continued service excellence.

Magic

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I have the same FRPP cat delete pipes and during the install I fabricated a heat shield from sheet metal and attached it to semi-circular half-shaft heat shield.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
I have the Ford Racing Header system. Should I be looking into additional shielding in the starter area as well? ( Haven't had a problem to date, including Rally VI )

Also, pardon my ignorance, but what's up with this "tracker" system in the UK ? Sounds like the major downside is a Royal ( sorry, couldn't resist ) PITA: what's the upside? Is this more of big brother Government?

enrico

GT Owner
Jul 20, 2010
London, UK
I have the Ford Racing Header system. Should I be looking into additional shielding in the starter area as well? ( Haven't had a problem to date, including Rally VI )

Also, pardon my ignorance, but what's up with this "tracker" system in the UK ? Sounds like the major downside is a Royal ( sorry, couldn't resist ) PITA: what's the upside? Is this more of big brother Government?

quite neat actually... allows you to shut down the engine remotely in case of theft and locate the vehicle, you have a wireless key to keep in the pocket and you get a call straightaway if someone else start up your car. doesn't store vehicle telemetry (at least mine) so hopefully no big brother or other liabilities...

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I have the same FRPP cat delete pipes and during the install I fabricated a heat shield from sheet metal and attached it to semi-circular half-shaft heat shield.

Do you have any pictures?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Thank you,

You just tack welded an additional sheet metal screen to the CV joint shield, correct?

Great idea

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Thank you,

You just tack welded an additional sheet metal screen to the CV joint shield, correct?

Great idea

No, I used 3 sheet metal screws to attach it. The heat shield comes off 1st to make it easier to remove the OEM shield.

Besides, I don't have a spot welder, only a cheap flux wire feed. I would just blow a hole through the shields. :lol

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I suggest getting those cat delete pipes ceramic coated when time permits.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

To retain heat?

I ask because I thought they were stainless. Theoretically should not get ugly or corrode, in fact as the turn gold they can be beautiful. I love the look of my stainless boat headers as they age.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
To retain heat?

Exactly. You will reduce emitted heat SUBSTANIALLY.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
To retain heat?

I ask because I thought they were stainless. Theoretically should not get ugly or corrode, in fact as the turn gold they can be beautiful. I love the look of my stainless boat headers as they age.

Mine show signs of corrosion on the muffler cans, I would coat them because of that! As for the heat even uncoated they should run a lot cooler than what they are replacing but coating them would improve that even more.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
As for the heat even uncoated they should run a lot cooler than what they are replacing

Heat-wise, eliminating the cats is a good thing but the OEM catted pipe has a built-in heat shield so that it will not melt the starter wires.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Heat-wise, eliminating the cats is a good thing but the OEM catted pipe has a built-in heat shield so that it will not melt the starter wires.

Yes you are correct. I meant that that the engine compartment will be cooler with even uncoated cat deletes pipes, but the starter would be worst off. That is why I made a heat shield. To my knowledge beside OEM, only Stillens has a heat shield on the exhaust. I would recommend shielding the starter in all cases when the OEM cats/pipes are removed.

Last edited:

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX

Mine have been coated. Still had a problem!