Starting problem

paul uk

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2011
I start the FGT every 2 weeks , but today I turned on the ignition, all lights came on as normal, pressed clutch pedal down, pushed start button......... and ABSOLUTELY nothing happened at all. I reset the remote conrol and tried again several times but still nothing. I,ve checked battery fully charged... any ideas?????

H

HHGT

Welcome to the forum Paul. Check your Battery Ground.

paul uk

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2011
Welcome to the forum Paul. Check your Battery Ground.
ta!!

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Same thing happened to me this summer. It was the battery ground despite (because of?) my cleaning of the frame connection three years earlier. While I was down there I added a redundant ground cable nearby.

Howard

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Check the relay junction box next to battery; press down or slightyly move it.

Sometime a relay un-seats and need to be pressed down.

Horns & lights may come on if you relocked or reset remote

Gerry

Oct 13, 2006
Dearborn, Michigan
You can use Motorcraft XG-12 Electrical Grease to protect the connection from oxygen and corrosion. That is what we use in our electrical connectors for grease. Do not use XG-3A Di-Electric Silicone grease. It is for high voltage ignition circuits only.

Gerry

paul uk

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2011
Check the relay junction box next to battery; press down or slightyly move it.

Sometime a relay un-seats and need to be pressed down.

Horns & lights may come on if you relocked or reset remote
Thanks everybody, I'll try all these things tomorrow cheers

paul uk

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2011
just a thought, has anyone had trouble with the clutch pedal switch or even the starter push button itself being faulty which could prevent starting?

paul uk

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2011
can the factory fitted tracker system prevent the engine starting?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
can the factory fitted tracker system prevent the engine starting?
only if the car is in the UK....

kidding, but there is no "tracker" unless an owner added it as aftermarket in the US.

I believe that the Top Gear guy had problems with the UK mandated tracker when he had a FGT where they dsiabled his car at one time but I might be wrong....

paul uk

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2011
thanks all, .cleaned battery earth , reset relays, checked clutch pedal switch, checked start button ok, but 'chuck' as the FGT is affectionately known still won't start. The man from the Tracker company is coming over Monday , but failing that ' chuck' is in big trouble. I'll give it a sound thrashing and then send it off the Roush Revolve boys (now called Mountune) over here in the UK, and get them to deal with it. (Mega Bucks!!!)I'll post the result in case it helps anyone else in the future.............cheers for now paul

H

HHGT

Did you check corrosion on the Starter leads?

Question for the experts? How is the block grounded? Is it possible to have corrosion at that point of contact?

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
just a thought, has anyone had trouble with the clutch pedal switch or even the starter push button itself being faulty which could prevent starting?
A few months ago after spinning out during a track day, I had the opposite problem, i.e. I didn't need to push the starter button; just pressing the clutch made the starter engage! A forum member suggested disconnecting the battery for ten minutes so the clever stuff could reset itself - problem solved and car has been perfect since.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
You may be having the same problem Jeremy Clarkson had with the UK mandated alarm system. :ack

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I doubt that your problem is the same as mine, but at Rally VI, I melted the small connector to the starter due to the heat from the exhaust system, after running on the track. This resulted in the inability to start the car. However, it might be possible that your wire or connector are defective.

paul uk

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2011
thanks Ralphie, now I know this is a stupid question but I had a quick look for the starter motor yesterday to check it's leads but I wasn,t able to find it!! Can you point me in the right direction. cheers paul

paul uk

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2011
Hi 'Tex' ta! worth a try cheers paul

paul uk

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2011
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
Probably won't help you boys in the States, cos it turned out to be the wiring in the tracker system shorting out the engine mobiliser, despite being electronically isolated by the control room at the tracker company. The wires were cut and removed............... BINGO!!! the car started. For any UK guys the only thing I've lost is the facility for the tracker company to immobilise the engine from their control room. All other alarms, tracker, and immobiliser systems are still fully operational...............Cheers paul

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
Probably won't help you boys in the States, cos it turned out to be the wiring in the tracker system shorting out the engine mobiliser, despite being electronically isolated by the control room at the tracker company. The wires were cut and removed............... BINGO!!! the car started. For any UK guys the only thing I've lost is the facility for the tracker company to immobilise the engine from their control room. All other alarms, tracker, and immobiliser systems are still fully operational...............Cheers paul

Congrats. I wonder if that was the same issue JC had, and if resolution of that issue would have resulted in Jeremy Clarkson still being a Ford GT owner?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Congrats. I wonder if that was the same issue JC had, and if resolution of that issue would have resulted in Jeremy Clarkson still being a Ford GT owner?

I like the ownership roster as it is today...............