Starting problem. Could someone please help. Would appreciate it.

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Guys, my 2005 FGT has 4300 miles. Up to today it started flawlessly and strongly. Put a new battery in a couple years ago. Keep on a battery tender. The tender light was green today. Went out to start it and it turned over very slow. My temp gauge now doesn't work. Ugh. My boost gauge crapped out a few years ago but I don't get into boost much any way. :facepalm: I just left it. Now I have two gauges that don't work.

Drove the car around the block and came back and tried to start it. It won't turn over and clicks like the battery is dead.

What do you think the issue is????

:confused
Thanks.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Guys, my 2005 FGT has 4300 miles. Up to today it started flawlessly and strongly. Put a new battery in a couple years ago. Keep on a battery tender. The tender light was green today. Went out to start it and it turned over very slow. My temp gauge now doesn't work. Ugh. My boost gauge crapped out a few years ago but I don't get into boost much any way. :facepalm: I just left it. Now I have two gauges that don't work.

Drove the car around the block and came back and tried to start it. It won't turn over and clicks like the battery is dead.

What do you think the issue is????

:confused
Thanks.

Sure sounds like the battery is dead. Pull it and have it load tested at Auto Zone, etc.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Battery

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
And you have to check the ground attachment on the frame.

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Thanks guys. Where is the ground attachment on the frame???

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Strong possibility it's the ground. The ground wire is only about a foot long. Follow it from the negative post on your battery to the frame. Unbolt it from the frame, clean the area with some sand paper or a scuff pad to ensure its getting a good connection with the ground wire. Reconnect it and make sure it's tight. I bet this fixes your problem. If not, it's most definitely a bad battery

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Thanks Shelby! :thumbsup

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
I had the same problem at the Rally last year. Make sure the ground bolt is really tightened down after you sand it as Shelby said. If you have jumper cables and another battery close by connect the car and see if doors open, etc. If that happens you do have a bad battery. I had that happen the day before they were coming to load my car for the Sonoma Rally.

Good luck.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Waxer,

You got good advice above. You should also look into getting an inexpensive multimeter. You can get one at any of the big box home-improvement stores or chain auto parts stores. The Internet can teach you everything you need to know about how to use one, even if you're not very mechanically inclined.

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Thanks guys. I checked the ground. It appears tight and the original marks from production are still lined up on the bolt to the chassis.

I'm not at all mechanically inclined and this car especially intimidates me.

Can I disconnect the ground from the chassis with the positive still connected? Didn't want to touch it before I asked.

Also, had on the battery tender again for a couple hours and it now had enough juice to turn over but s l o w l y.

My windows and doors open though and my lights work but I'm sure they are not full power.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Waxer, go after that ground bolt. Leave the positive connected to the battery and clean up the mating surfaces of the cable and chassis. My car got stuck a few years ago and this was the problem. I bet it's yours, too.

Howard

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
It's your ground strap...being on minor incline or lip can sometime flex and strap pulls.

Esp after that clicking sound and guages.

Remove ground strap bolt with 10mm ratchet; doesn't matter if lines are still matched.

Put blanket over fender and DONT lean arms, palms, elbows on fender; will damage!

Remove bolt and clean nut-set hole; add star washer and dialectric grease; retighten.

Sounds like your on a battery tender; those fail even when green light is on; surges fry them. Try OEM ford GT charger.

My battery lasted another 2yrs after such incident for total of 6yrs.

Keep 10mm ratchet in seat pouch; don't want to retighten when out in wild

Last edited:

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Thanks. Appreciate very much the help!!!

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Make sure you leave it overnight for a charge so you don't risk messing up one to all of your gauges. They are particular to having sufficient juice. Before you hit the starter, make sure your gauges are powered up. Usually I wait for odometer to show mileage before I try to start car. Gauges are unbelievably expensive. Good luck.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Just as an addded note: if you are doing a full charge overnight and you already have access to the battery area, leave the negative cable off the battery or frame while giving it a full charge. my local Ford dealer charged his own GT's battery that was shorted out dead and overcharged it, makeing the battery bulge out and break. put in a new battery but in the process had fried the gauge check module under the dash above the driver's left leg. cost of the module wAs $8200.00. just a precaution in my opinion.