Standard Wheel Custom Center Cap

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Actually I'm in the process of selling a set of standard wheels as they are still new in the boxes. But now after seeing the center caps which I like a lot vs. the fake and cheap OEM centers which is one of the reasons I did want to use the wheels. Hummmmm.... maybe I just get the wheels painted orange......

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Thanks for the photos AZGT - just what I needed to see. Much appreciated.

I really like how that looks, it's also very easily reversible.

Torrie, what would that set cost to buy and send over to me in the UK?

I wonder if Ford parts over here have them? What truck are they from?

Thanks again for taking the trouble.... :cheers

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
What truck are they from?

Nothing special. From the aftermarket / add on department.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
A little bit of digging and I found these....

But I'm not sure of the size - does one size fit all I wonder?

ST150

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/image.php?url=/images/1333899.jpg

Mondeo

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/image.php?url=/images/1116573.jpg

Puma

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/image.php?url=/images/1064115.jpg

And a whole bunch more.

Last edited:

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
AZGT, very very clever. Looks good.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
AZGT, very very clever. Looks good.

Thanks

A little bit of digging and I found these....

But I'm not sure of the size - does one size fit all I wonder?

No. The center hub diameter has to be the right size. Don't know how many Ford has, but for example the center caps from a Mustang will not fit. I just happened to see those in the dealer display, and then physically tried them. Other problems could come from where they "grab" inside, etc. Measure first, then try before the buy if possible (or just buy one to see).

You want to measure across the outer edges of the hub hole, then back in just a little for size because you don't want the cap to extend over the edge.

Trust me, just easier to get these and not worry about it.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Neilda, you disappointed me. I expected some zingers hidden there.

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Thanks

No. The center hub diameter has to be the right size. Don't know how many Ford has, but for example the center caps from a Mustang will not fit. I just happened to see those in the dealer display, and then physically tried them. Other problems could come from where they "grab" inside, etc. Measure first, then try before the buy if possible (or just buy one to see).

You want to measure across the outer edges of the hub hole, then back in just a little for size because you don't want the cap to extend over the edge.

Trust me, just easier to get these and not worry about it.

I installed mine today and they look fantastic. I mean I like them better than optional wheels. Thanks for doing the research!!! :banana

John

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
I installed mine today and they look fantastic. I mean I like them better than optional wheels. Thanks for doing the research!!! :banana

John

Glad you like the look. I think it will catch on, and a lot cheaper than aftermarket wheels.

I took off the optional wheels on my car to put the standards on. I think the BBS wheels are a little to prissy for the car (PM me with that hate mail :bs ). The standards with the cap feel more in line with the original flavor of the car for me - it is the type of setup we ran in the 60's on the hot rods.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.

John

BTW - did you take the little tabs off the back so they sit flush?

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Glad you like the look. I think it will catch on, and a lot cheaper than aftermarket wheels.

I took off the optional wheels on my car to put the standards on. I think the BBS wheels are a little to prissy for the car (PM me with that hate mail :bs ). The standards with the cap feel more in line with the original flavor of the car for me - it is the type of setup we ran in the 60's on the hot rods.

If I wasn't at my limit to post a picture I would attach one. I was telling my wife about the mod (she was showing extreme interest :frown) and I told her I really like it better than I imagine.

John

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Sure with I could have figured out how to make these work... Picked these up a couple years ago.. They are old NOS Ford OEM lightweight metal caps, 2 15/16" inside diameter, 3 3/16 outside diameter, and the post in the middle is 5/8" inside diameter. They are oily so they didn't photo as well as they look. They are bright perfect chrome. They are only 7/8" thick, so they would not stick out.

Attachments

• IMG_1683.JPG
    IMG_1683.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_1685.JPG
    IMG_1685.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_1686.JPG
    IMG_1686.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 253

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Sure with I could have figured out how to make these work...

Threaded sleeve pinned to the inner nipple?

Fastened squared "U" on the inner nipple, threaded, then "T" and bolt into the "U"?

But still knockoffs on a wheel with lugs.

My .02

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
FYI I have set of these caps and correct lug nuts on hand if anyone wants a set.

cobraownr

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2007
Annapolis, MD
I will buy the caps and lug nuts, Torrie. Shoot me a PM or e-mail with total cost including shipping to ZIP 21037. Thanks!

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Don, I guess you would be putting them on the GTX1.

Can't wait to see them at Carlise !

I guess you'll be the only GTX1 there. :thumbsup

--

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I will buy the caps and lug nuts, Torrie. Shoot me a PM or e-mail with total cost including shipping to ZIP 21037. Thanks!

Will do