stalling when coasting

rick430

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
boston
Getting on it in 1st 2nd and then 3rd gear to say about 4-5000 rpm I put the clutch to the floor to coast. The rpm's came down to between 2-300 and returned to normal. I was surprised by this in that I've never had a stalling problem with the car in the past.I repeated this exercise and have gotten the same response and one time the car actually stalled.If I drive normally and downshift normally the stumbling does not occur. My ? is have I prompted this situation by the "exaggerated coasting exercise"
As I said before I've never had a problem in the past after refueling or with other known culprits of this affliction.The milage is 3300.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The 1st thing to try is datalogging if you have an SCT or Diablo tuner, or the device the Torrie is selling. You can monitor the idle control valve, MAF, etc to get a better idea of what may be causing the problem. It could be a vacuum leak, incorrect setting of the throtte blades, bad ICV, MAF, etc. The data will lead you in the right direction. Does this problem only occur during decels from higher RPMs and the idle is smooth otherwise? Also a custom tune can play with coasting idle settings that may have this effect.

Last edited:

Blue GT

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2007
Washington State
Another suggestion

If you have the opurtunity try and run the car on a dyno. Pay close attention to air fuel mixture. Are there any mods to the car? If no mods consider reflashing the PCM. Good luck, Dan

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
You said you put your clutch in and coasted, wouldn't that make a drastic change in load. Maybe the computer isn't designed to compensate for that maneuver, could be just a normal reaction to stall.

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
GT Joey had a great old post on this - check codes for evap/vacuum leak
:cheers

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Yep , plug in a 80 dollar hand held run the codes, if its 442 its the fuel pipe...BE CAREFUL AS THIS IS OLD NEWS TO GUYS WHO BOUGHT THERE CARS NEW 3 YEARS AGO. Be very careful..........if your dealer is good let them run there cycle test/smoke test it will tell at once. Be careful and enjoy... gtjoey 1314:thumbsup

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Mine was acting like this and threw a P1000 code - not the 442.

What is the P1000 code? I thought this was the fuel pipe one?

Shadowman / Torrie - where are you guy's

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Yes its an overiding cycle code, thats why it go t to go on the cycle test, on the old post you will see ,it goes through the cycle ALL HANDS FREE AND BY THE WAY IT STARTS THE CAR UP BY ITSELF:eek RUNS IT UP AND DOWN THE RPM RANGE. You will see a vaccuum chart if the vaccumm number goes through the roof , you are done....old school is the smoke test which it can do as a backup and also pressure test for vaccuum/egr/evap return lines etc.... yes 1000 means something is up. REMEMBER THE TANK MUST BE 3/4 FULL OR LESS......FOR THE CYCLE TO RUN..... NOT A FULL TANK , IF A FULL TANK THE ENGINE LITE AND CYCLE WILL NOT RUN.......ENJOY GTJOEY 1314:thumbsup

Aug 25, 2006
Mine was acting like this and threw a P1000 code - not the 442.

What is the P1000 code? I thought this was the fuel pipe one?

Shadowman / Torrie - where are you guy's

I am here

P1000 states that the OBDII readiness codes are not set as such a smog test cannot be performed.

This typically occures after a tune or a battery having been disconnected and the gal not driven for 50 ish miles.

Takes care

Shadowman

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I am here

P1000 states that the OBDII readiness codes are not set as such a smog test cannot be performed.

This typically occures after a tune or a battery having been disconnected and the gal not driven for 50 ish miles.

Takes care

Shadowman

Car's been off the Deltran for two weeks and only driven last weekend.... [Note to self Plug In Tonight!]

Thanks Shadowman!

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Rick called last nite, he did have a tune, backed it out. All IS FINE SO FAR, GREAT NEWS. Mad are you going to vegas? THE GTJESUS VAN IS COMETH. Are you in? :thumbsupgtjoey1314

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Rick called last nite, he did have a tune, backed it out. All IS FINE SO FAR, GREAT NEWS. Mad are you going to vegas? THE GTJESUS VAN IS COMETH. Are you in? :thumbsupgtjoey1314

Praise to GTJOEY:banana......

Gino, you and me hmmmm. what a trip it will be :thumbsup Let's get Gordo also..... He has a huge camper/ apartment full of Heineken kegs!