Speeds in gears

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
I know I've seen the list somewhere, but I've done a search here and on Google and I can't find it now. What speed, assuming a standard red line, can you get in each gear?

Cheers

Phil

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
3.jpg

Word.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
That graph shows why I think some of the pullied/tune cars have been able to bury the speedo in 5th. Minus the 205 limiter and with an extra 100 or so horsepower, they seem to be able to run out 5th. I doubt it has enough without an extra 250-300 to pull 6th. I believe max speed in 6th is 180ish with the stock power.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
So does that mean the twin turbo guys can potentially hit 260?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
speed limited GT

I hear there is a speed limiter & I also hear that there isn't one. Is there one?

Ed

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Probably not if they value their lives. The tires are rated for 205 but have been tested to 226. Not a risk I'd be willing to take 30 mph higher. With appropriate tires? Only one way to find out.

Plus you run out of fuel maxed out in a stock car in about 17 minutes. I don't even want to guess how long your fuel would last running 1200+. :lol

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I hear there is a speed limiter & I also hear that there isn't one. Is there one?

Ed

Yes. 205mph.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Probably not if they value their lives. The tires are rated for 205 but have been tested to 226. Not a risk I'd be willing to take 30 mph higher. With appropriate tires? Only one way to find out.

Plus you run out of fuel maxed out in a stock car in about 17 minutes. I don't even want to guess how long your fuel would last running 1200+. :lol

Does anyone know how fast you can drive on,

the Hoosiers on stock rims sizes?

Michelin's Pilot Sport PS2 (front 265-30-19 rear 335-30-20)?

The PS2 seem to be a good setup with after market wheels. But I don't know what a safe limit is for those tires or the Hoosiers.

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Thanks DBK! I've got a 1 mile shootout with various cars coming up. Looks like I might just have to use 5th unless there's a big headwind.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Thanks DBK! I've got a 1 mile shootout with various cars coming up. Looks like I might just have to use 5th unless there's a big headwind.

Is your car stock or modified?

A Whippled car will do over 190 in a standing mile in 5th gear.

A pullied car will do about 180 and I believe a stock car can turn just over 170 on a good day.

What cars are you running against?

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
DKB - Can you post the graph as a pdf?

Last edited:

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
When trying to accelerate quickly, extra time spent shifting gears, is time lost not going faster.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX

heh.... you said "word"

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Does anyone know how fast you can drive on
the Hoosiers on stock rims sizes?

I am leaning towards trying the Hoosiers myself, and I know they will be very sticky. The only question in my mind is that it appears they are Z speed rated (which means they are rated "in excess of 149mph" - how much in excess is not known on the typical Z rating). The unknown rating in excess of 149 is why they came out with the W and Y ratings, and our stock Goodyears are Y rated (tested in excess of 186mph). The ultimate high speed capability of the Hoosiers is the only question I might have.

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Is your car stock or modified?

A Whippled car will do over 190 in a standing mile in 5th gear.

A pullied car will do about 180 and I believe a stock car can turn just over 170 on a good day.

What cars are you running against?
Stock. Well, the pully wheel might be slightly smaller than normal...but I wouldn't know about that ;)

Various cars. TVR 4.5 Cerbera is first then an LP640. That one will be a challenge me thinks...