Speed Hut Gauge Sset Replacement Pending - Need a Little Help From A GT Owner

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I ordered a complete set of Speed Hut gauges today and need a bit of information and photos to finalize the order. The issue has to do with having the voltage gauge customized to show actual voltage values rather than non-numeric index marks. Since my voltage gauge has failed, I cannot do this myself.

I'm hoping someone will assist me by measuring the actual voltage (using a seperate voltage gauge) and taking a photo of the voltage gauge with the ignition on (but engine not running), and then measure the voltage again and take a second photo of the voltage gauge only this time with the engine running.

The data and photos will be used to establish the relationship between the pointer location and actual voltage. As the gauge is linear, interpolation and extrapolation will be used to establish the full range of numerical values. As others on this forum have expressed the desire for specific indexing, this effort will facilitate the availability of a numerically indexed gauge.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. With three failed gauges (and probably more on the way), I will be so thrilled to finally put this failed gauge issue behind me.

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
There is another current thread under "General Discussion" regarding this topic ViperJoe; although, this is probably a more appropriate section.

Ed

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
There is another current thread under "General Discussion" regarding this topic ViperJoe; although, this is probably a more appropriate section.

Ed
Ed - I've read each and every post on this issue. The question of numeric indexing is raised in one post but there is no follow-up response or resolution. My order was placed with Speed Hut yesterday and is on hold pending resolution of what I consider a significant aesthetic issue. I have a backup plan to acquire the required information and photos, which apparently will need to be initiated. Thanks ..... joe

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I'll assume by your name you own Vipers, I think a simple layout like the viper gauge would work. It is mostly a matter of aesthetics and not pinpoint accuracy. Close enough should solve the problem. It just looks like something was left off.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
You are looking for gauge positions vs voltage on a Speed Hut gauge or on an OEM gauge?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
You are looking for gauge positions vs voltage on a Speed Hut gauge or on an OEM gauge?

I would guess that either would do, since Speedhut probably copied the OEM gauge on the initial design. Three points of reference would probably be good enough.

Measure battery voltage,

1. Car off nothing turned on.
2. Car off headlights on.
3. Car idling.

I would help, but I don't have a volt meter, have an a/f instead.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I would be happy to do the measurements/photos evening if its the OEM gauge positions that are needed. Might take me til Friday to find the time. I thought ViperJoe needed pics of the SpeedHut voltmeter at various voltages as it may be different.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I am only interested in the OEM voltage gauge position. Ice's suggestion would be perfect. Reference points from more than one vehicle would be helpful as well.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Subscribing

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I'm doing some work on the car tomorrow. I'm curious. I'll fool around with it a bit and send some pics.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Another GT owner has volunteered his car for this project and I plan on generating data and photos tomorrow night. Still, it would be great to have confirming data! Results to be posted here and of course shared wit speed Hut. This will be a great benefit to all that purchase the Speed Hut voltage gauge since going forward it will be numerically indexed.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I'll have some time in the garage tomorrow (friday) and will take the readings/photos you ask and post them here. Will likely be me buying the Speed Hut gauges one day.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I'll have some time in the garage tomorrow (friday) and will take the readings/photos you ask and post them here. Will likely be me buying the Speed Hut gauges one day.
I will be taking photos and recording voltage tonight under the aforementioned conditions. Hopefully our results will agree, thereby negating the need for a third set of reference points. Thanks ..... Viperjoe

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Sorry, but you need three points to define a line. Two points only gets you a segment.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Sorry, but you need three points to define a line. Two points only gets you a segment.

:confused

The more points the better. Do a regression plot.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I agree, the more data points the better. I will be posting the photos and data from last night's testing later today. In a nutshell; 1) with the key on / engine off, the pointer is about 20 degrees to the left of the verticle center line; 2) with the engine running , the pointer is about 20 degrees to the right of the verticle center line. Can't recall the exact voltage readings but something like 12.2 and 14.5 respectively. Key on / engine on / headlights on low beam same as with engine running lights off. More later ..... Viperjoe

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
You would think that Speedhut is very capable of applying at 12v signal to their own gauge to calibrate the dial. Duplicating the OEM gauge output from the digital input had to be more challenging than identifying the 12v point on the voltmeter.

Howard

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
OK so here's the data and photos .....

Test #1 / Photo #1 - Ignition Off, Everything Else Off - 12.275 volts
Test #2 / Photo #2 - Ignition On, Everything Else Off - 11.970 volts
Test #3 / Photo #3 - Engine Running, Eevrything Else Off - 14.530 volts
Test #4 / Photo #4 - Engine Running, Headlamps On (Low Beam), Everything Else Off - No voltage measurement taken - Gauge pointer position same as Test #3 photo

Attachments

• DSC03851.JPG
    DSC03851.JPG
    317.2 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC03852.JPG
    DSC03852.JPG
    277.6 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC03853.JPG
    DSC03853.JPG
    271.8 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC03854.JPG
    DSC03854.JPG
    293.1 KB · Views: 144
  • Voltage.pdf
    90.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I would nice to get a lower reading with the key turned on, but engine off, headlights and a/c fan turn on to load the battery.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Is this thread about a Ford voltmeter or an interociter from Metaluna?