Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
In Tempe AZ:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T43LtGNFLPw

Santa Impersonators Wrap Tempe Cameras
by Lisa Halverstadt - Dec. 23, 2008 11:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

"Some local Santas have ordered lumps of coal for those behind the photo radar and speed cameras in Tempe.

A YouTube video posted Monday shows four people dressed in full Santa attire, complete with beards and red clothing, wrapping -and covering up -- three cameras in Tempe. To the tune of the Jackson 5's "Santa Claus is Coming to Town," the video featured the group placing gift-wrapped boxes over cameras at McClintock Drive and Rio Salado Parkway and Priest Drive and Fifth Street. They wrapped what appeared to be a red sheet over another camera.

As the video nears to an end, the group shared footage of one of the covered cameras, apparently still wrapped up two hours later.

Tempe police believe the wrapping session, which appears to have taken place during the day as cars drove by, occurred within the past two weeks.

This appeared to be the first case, at least in Tempe, where the cameras were covered, Tempe police Sgt. Steve Carbajal said.

Although police initially didn't plan to investigate the case because the cameras weren't damaged and disorderly conduct wasn't reported, Carbajal said they changed their minds Tuesday morning.

Detectives now plan to investigate the case as a violation of the criminal damage statute which states that it is illegal to impair the function of another's property.

"Obviously, (the camera) isn't photographing people when it's covered," Carbajal said.

Anyone with information is asked to call Tempe police at 480-350-8311."

http://www.azcentral.com/community/tempe/articles/2008/12/23/20081223photo-santa1223-ON.html

:cheers

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
hope they do those damn cameras around Paradise Jan 10-15 when Bony is coming to towne... Merry Christmas

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Wait for those calls!!!!

Yeah right. Those of us who live here and have to deal with those stupid cameras every day are gonna call right up and turn in Santa!! I'd like to see the rest of the cameras covered in Reindeer dung for the rest of the Holiday Season. Merry Christmas!

Chip

H

HHGT

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
Living in a police state

Tempe added over a hundred cameras just this year. They are everywhere! The state of Arizona has added cameras on all the interstates I10/I17 is loaded with them through the city of Phoenix. They have them parked beside the freeway between Phoenix and Tucson. I feel like we're living in a police state. Isnt that what we criticized the Soviets for...constant spying on the citizenry! Encouraging the people to rat each other out! I am appalled at the loss of fredoms we've suffered in the last 10 years.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Note to Shadowman: There now appears to be a need (in certain parts of the country) for a "James Bond" style, "revolving", multi-license plate frame...Hello?...Bill?...

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
What's there to prevent naughty people from just spray painting or bashing in the cameras? Seriously, if you put up speed cameras in Detroit they'd last all of one week because people would either obscure their view or destroy them.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Duct tape! If ever there was a PERFECT use for that stuff THIS is it! :lol

(Just leave no epa-THEE-lee-als for CSI to "send to trace"...)

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Did anyone see the speed camera episode of Mythbusters?

They tried the spray on plate blocker and other homegrown methods. None worked until Jamie rigged a James Bond LP flipper. They even ran a Lambo by the cameras at 170. It still snapped a perfect picture. DOH!!!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
None worked until Jamie rigged a James Bond LP flipper.

And even the "flipper" won't be of any use unless you know you're approaching a camera(s) and get the 'plate flipped before hand - OR you simply flip the plate the instant you leave your driveway and LEAVE it that way 'til you return. :wink

In my own case, I had the only FGT (of any color) north of Snohomish, so, the LEO's in my area would have known who to quiz about it anyway.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
And even the "flipper" won't be of any use unless you know you're approaching a camera(s) and get the 'plate flipped before hand - OR you simply flip the plate the instant you leave your driveway and LEAVE it that way 'til you return. :wink

In my own case, I had the only FGT (of any color) north of Snohomish, so, the LEO's in my area would have known who to quiz about it anyway.

Ah ..... note to Larry.... you need to get the car out of the garage before you can get in trouble with it.... :biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Ah ..... note to Larry.... you need to get the car out of the garage before you can get in trouble with it.... :biggrin

How come I jus' KNEW sumpthin' like that was comin'? :frown :slap

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Nah, just never clean the plate. Dirt obscuring a letter or two can do wonders. :biggrin

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
How come I jus' KNEW sumpthin' like that was comin'? :frown :slap

The cat beat me too it. I guess, you snooze, you lose.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The cat beat me too it. I guess, you snooze, you lose.

Ya, I was a little surprised by that too! :rofl

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Stormcat has the advantage, being on EST vs. PST.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Stormcat has the advantage, being on EST vs. PST.

Nice try, ICEman, but you forget - I'M ON PST JUST LIKE YEEEEW! So, that dog won't hunt! :rofl (Nice try though!)