Spectre 341(Nevada City Hill Climb)

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
Few videos from last weeks Spectre 341.

Sadly one of the competitors lost his life gunning for the top speed record during the event.

Winner: LG ZR1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IHI8P_LXao
Second place: GTR(no vid of run yet)
Third place: EVO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVxt7WzGsk4
Fourth Place: Griggs Mustang GT(making about 450rwhp)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzYbRWt9Q6s

Edit: Record for this hill climb is 3.10x from a modded f40 back in 2002
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ybahw79Muw

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Virginia City Hillclimb

It's not the Nevada City Hillclmb but the Virginia City Hillclimb. Nevada City is in CA while Virgina City is in NV (is California City in VA?).

Almost every September my club, the NorCal Shelby Club, has a time trial against the Pacific Region of the FCA in Virginia City. We race up 341 from the south & finish 5.2 miles in the middle of town on a truck bypass route. The linked videos are of our route. The info I have was the Spectre race was on the Geiger Grade of 341 which is north of Virignia City. Yes, I read that a car guy from Vegas, Alex Djordjevic, died while racing. The cliffs are rocky & steep with no guard rails so it's best done at 75% speed. I drive 341 in my GT all the time & have done the Viriginia City Hillclimb also. Alex was not the first to die on this road & not the last.

Ed

PS The FCA members that participate in the Hillclimb are losers. Very, very few drive their Ferraris at the event. They have Vettes, Vipers or some Asian import. The Shelby Club on the other hand flog our GTs, Cobras, original Mustangs, etc up the hill every year!

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Great links...Thanks

The F40 is one BadAss car...one of my fav's

Too many people held Alex in high regard for it not to have been true....RIP

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
That guy Alex was on Tanner Foust's show several times with his hot rod Porsches, and always loaned him cars when he needed them. Seemed like a nice guy on TV. Too bad to lose someone like that.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Interesting to watch the videos. LG, driving the ZR1 Vette with a record time made it look like a Sunday drive, which it definitely was not, whereas the Mustang Driver made it look like the work that it is to take their car to the limit.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
We had a really good time at this event and we plan on going back next year. Unfortunately the tires we were running aren't very good but the Dunlop's that we wanted were out of stock in North America so we had no other choice. We'll head back next year with the GT R and some Dunlops and we should be able to pick up another 5 or 6 seconds at least according to Steve. I'm hoping to take one of our supercharged 370Z's next year also.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Virginia City Hillclimb

Here are some photos from the 2006 Hillclimb where I drove the GT.

EdDSC03111.jpgDSC03110.jpgDSC03118.jpgDSC03104.jpgDSC03113.jpg

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Kyle - bring a Ford powered vehicle to the Shelby vs Ferrari Club Hillclimb on Sept 18-19, 2010. I would be there driving my GT but I'll be getting ready to send her back to th Rally on that weekend.

http://www.norcal-saac.org

Ed

We had a really good time at this event and we plan on going back next year. Unfortunately the tires we were running aren't very good but the Dunlop's that we wanted were out of stock in North America so we had no other choice. We'll head back next year with the GT R and some Dunlops and we should be able to pick up another 5 or 6 seconds at least according to Steve. I'm hoping to take one of our supercharged 370Z's next year also.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
We do have a couple of Mustangs that would be fun to take up there. They have never been to the track and have not been sorted so they wouldn't be competitive but it's always a good time! I might try to convine Steve to let me take one of them!

ObeyMyFast!

GT Owner's son
May 5, 2009
San Diego
How did that e36 M do?

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
Interesting to watch the videos. LG, driving the ZR1 Vette with a record time made it look like a Sunday drive, which it definitely was not, whereas the Mustang Driver made it look like the work that it is to take their car to the limit.

First I do want to say yes I made a mistake it is Virginia City in Nevada on state rte 341!

The story that I heard was that LG dropped 6 seconds after he went up the hill in the Griggs Mustang and did some last minute suspension tuning. Remember LG was not acquitainted with this course like Guy Cunningham(Griggs driver) who has been driving it for a few years now. There is still time to be dropped from a propperly spec'd/driven zr1. The mustang was down 200hp and yet still was hitting below 2:30 is an accomplishment. That same mustang pulled a 1.55 peak g in one of the corners in an 08 run. The Griggs 98 cobra vert with 600rwhp has run a 2:20.

KMillen better luck with the tires next year! What type of numbers were you running(power/weight) up the hill this year? Do you have an in car vid of any of your runs?

There was also a new gts from dodge that I heard was running 2:19 but was running 80 wear tires which were not legal for this race. Competitors needed to be on 100 wear rated tires or higher.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
There was a write up in Autoweek about this year's event.

Sounds like they had more participants. The article also gave the impression they are now the Ferrari-Shelby event or at least trying to supplant it. (my interpretation)

Either way it would be cool if one our our esteemed road coarse drivers could take their (hopefully tuned) GT to the event and make us proud.