Sparkplug Longevity?

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
As I near the 10,000mi mark I am thinking about having the GT Guys change out my sparkplugs when they update my axle bolts. The car runs absolutely great so far, no complaints. Has anyone else with some miles on their car looked at the plugs? If so, how did they look?

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Iridium plugs

As I near the 10,000mi mark I am thinking about having the GT Guys change out my sparkplugs when they update my axle bolts. The car runs absolutely great so far, no complaints. Has anyone else with some miles on their car looked at the plugs? If so, how did they look?
isaakgt,

I replaced mine early on, at about 1,000 miles. I used plugs with an Iridium electrode, since the electric field strength is higher (due to the smaller diameter electrode). I am probably going to reduce the gap to .032", since I think I have felt some very subtle misfiring on a few occasions at >5,000 RPM. Right now I have 6,600 miles on the odometer. I will take images of the plugs and post them soon.

Stay away from plugs that shroud the center electrode, such as Splitfire and Bosch. Those plugs with the multiple ground electrodes are completely silly and can hurt performance!

Jay

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
Thanks Jay for the helpful information.:wink

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I thought the stock plugs were iridium. They are for the Terminator cobra.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
They could be

I thought the stock plugs were iridium. They are for the Terminator cobra.
Silverbullit,

They could be. I liked the smaller center electrode of the Denso plug, which is 0.4mm in diameter. This allows for better odds of firing under marginal conditions. The Denso plugs have some rhodium alloyed in with the iridium. These are lower work function materials when compared to platinum, meaning better ability to shed off electrons.

Please advise if I am incorrect on this info.

Thanks, Jay

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Silverbullit,

They could be. I liked the smaller center electrode of the Denso plug, which is 0.4mm in diameter. This allows for better odds of firing under marginal conditions. The Denso plugs have some rhodium alloyed in with the iridium. These are lower work function materials when compared to platinum, meaning better ability to shed off electrons.

Please advise if I am incorrect on this info.

Thanks, Jay

You are preaching to the choir. I even have densos in my waverunners. They are killer solutions to 2 cycle fouling. I put a set in my Terminator, then had problems with 2 coil packs. I took the car back to the dealer under warranty and they pulled all of the densos and lectured me about inferior products and claimed to do me a favor by not charging me. Even though the plugs were fine. There was a TSB on the coil packs at that time. Thats when they told me that the stock plugs were iridium. I have not been back to that dealer for service since.