Sonoma Historics

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I attended Saturday of the Sonoma Historics at Sears Point Raceway (aka Infineon) with Triheart. Another GT, non-forum member, went with us making a total of 3. I usually go with my club, the NorCal Shelby Club; but, they had to park in the dirt so I went with a local Viper club that actually parked in the pits. The person who has run the Monterey Historics every August has left & is now in charge of the Wine Country Classic which is now the Sonoma Historics. It sure is bigger than in the past. It'll be interesting to see how different the event at Laguna is compared to previous ones. I hope you like the photos. The weather was California perfect.

Ed

Attachments

• IMG_2376.jpg
    IMG_2376.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_2388.jpg
    IMG_2388.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_2393.jpg
    IMG_2393.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_2366.jpg
    IMG_2366.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_2371.jpg
    IMG_2371.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 206

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Wish You Were There!

One of the Viper owners that parked with us commented how he likes our civil & informative our Forum is compared to other forums. He said everyone posting is respectful & nice to each other. You guys are!

Ed

Attachments

• IMG_2398.jpg
    IMG_2398.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_2374.jpg
    IMG_2374.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_2367.jpg
    IMG_2367.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_2385.jpg
    IMG_2385.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_2420.jpg
    IMG_2420.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 206

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Don't get me started.

Aug 25, 2006
Very nice Ed

Shadowman

teej

GT Owner
Jan 12, 2010
West Los Angeles
Ed: nice. I saw those GTs parked there. I was about to drive past the shelby parking area when the attendant flagged me over and said that a Ford GT shouldnt have to be parked with all the other cars, so I got to park down the hill from where the shelby club was.

Nice pics, I wish I had more time to walk around the paddock. I got there at noon and took off at 4:30. I posted some pics in the Sound and Vision section.

Did you happen to buy an event program? Still have it? I am looking for some specs on the cars I took pictures of.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Nice pictures. Fun day!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Great pictures Ed. The trio of FIA Cobras is perfect.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Thanks Ed for the update and great pictures.
Did the Trans Am guys run? A buddy of mine from Nor Cal owns and races #15, the original race car George Follmer drove for most of the 1971 season. Do you know Brian Ferrin?

H

HHGT

One of the Viper owners that parked with us commented how he likes our civil & informative our Forum is compared to other forums. He said everyone posting is respectful & nice to each other. You guys are!

Ed

Is that EP with that mustache.

jim gibson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 13, 2009
warren, ohio
Fantastic photos. Check your CP

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Some beautiful hardware there. Thanks! :thumbsup

:usa

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
I saw you guys coming down the highway with the Vipers. I was in a Boxter on my way to Sonoma for some wine tasting and lunch. I was racing Thursday, Friday, and Sunday in a GT-350, so Sat was a pass day (see photo on left). It was a good weekend, but not up to par with the Monterey event. It was the first year so next year will likely be better. I do really like the track, though.

Craig

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
there is some nice iron!

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I saw you guys coming down the highway with the Vipers. I was in a Boxter on my way to Sonoma for some wine tasting and lunch. I was racing Thursday, Friday, and Sunday in a GT-350, so Sat was a pass day (see photo on left). It was a good weekend, but not up to par with the Monterey event. It was the first year so next year will likely be better. I do really like the track, though.

Craig

This event has been going on for years, but this year was the first for the management group that runs the Monterey event.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
program

Ed: nice. I saw those GTs parked there. I was about to drive past the shelby parking area when the attendant flagged me over and said that a Ford GT shouldnt have to be parked with all the other cars, so I got to park down the hill from where the shelby club was.

Nice pics, I wish I had more time to walk around the paddock. I got there at noon and took off at 4:30. I posted some pics in the Sound and Vision section.

Did you happen to buy an event program? Still have it? I am looking for some specs on the cars I took pictures of.

Teej - I gave my program to Shadowman. PM him & he can probably look up the info you need.

I saw your GT on the hill. Next year come with us.

Ed

PS Do you want to go to the Rally with us?

Ed

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Trans Am

Thanks Ed for the update and great pictures.
Did the Trans Am guys run? A buddy of mine from Nor Cal owns and races #15, the original race car George Follmer drove for most of the 1971 season. Do you know Brian Ferrin?

KJRGT - I don't know Brian. I didn't see the Trans Am races but they did race sometime during the weekend. I'll keep my eye out for # 15 next time! I love the pre-War cars the best.

Ed

PS Kip - check out the pre-War yellow hot rod in my photos of this thread! I took it for you. It's a 1915 Ford.

teej

GT Owner
Jan 12, 2010
West Los Angeles
Teej - I gave my program to Shadowman. PM him & he can probably look up the info you need.

I saw your GT on the hill. Next year come with us.

Ed

PS Do you want to go to the Rally with us?

Ed

Thanks - I think I found info on all the cars from a couple of different websites. I added their descriptions to a photo site I have.

Unfortunately I have to pass on the Rally this year - pre planned family vacation

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
OK Ed. Thought you two may have run across one another, he is from the the SF area.

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
This event has been going on for years, but this year was the first for the management group that runs the Monterey event.

Actually the Wine Country Classic has been going on for years and has always been run by Steve Earle, who started the Monterey Historics in 1972, and has run it ever since. This year the Monterey event will be produced by Laguna Seca, and run by HMSA. I hope both events succeed as they are different and both fun to run. I will be in the Monterey event this August.

Craig

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Ed -

Sorry to miss seeing you at the Sonoma vintage races, as I've always enjoyed them very much. Did you see my friend Ed Matsuishi from San Rafael there - he brought his lightweight 911 this year, a reddish-orange Porsche.

Unfortunately I couldn't make it as I had a previous engagement planned here in France with a few others of the Forum.

Ralphie