Socket sizes

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Does anyone know the socket sizes for both the fill and drain plugs for the transmission?
I'm trying to gather the right tools before starting the transmission oil change.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
transmission oil change

Does anyone know the socket sizes for both the fill and drain plugs for the transmission?
I'm trying to gather the right tools before starting the transmission oil change.
John,

Hope this helps, as I include it with the magnetic transaxle drain plug kit.

The 1 1/4" size is probably a 49 mm, however, I used a 1 1/4" on mine.

The drain plug is hard to locate, as it is covered up by a wiring harness. If you continue using the stock factory magnetic plug, make sure to clean it, as it will have a lot of very fine metal particles on it.

Jay

Transaxle%20plug%20detail%203.gif

Transaxle%20magnetic%20drain%20plug.jpg

Transaxle%20drain%20filter%20plug.jpg

Last edited:

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Jay, thanks for the info, just what I needed. I was not even aware of the drain on the passenger side! I thought the filter was the only drain plug.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Jay, thanks for the info, just what I needed. I was not even aware of the drain on the passenger side! I thought the filter was the only drain plug.
John,

I forgot the mention that on my car, the filter didn't really need to be serviced, as there was nothing stuck in it. I just wanted to see what everything looked like.

Good Luck,

Jay

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
Transmission Fill, Drain and Filter Plugs

In addition to Jay's comment on the stock wire mesh transmission filter, based upon my observation when I took mine out to look at it (supposition only), it appears the fluid is sucked in through the outside of the mesh and and therefore there should not be anything inside the mesh. I took mine out very carefully, and there was some material stuck to the outside of the mesh screen, which I cleaned off. If you don't mind, note the copper washer alignment on the filter assembly and post if the raised crush circle was on the transmission side or if the smooth side was toward the transmission. Mine came off before I noticed there was a difference in the two sides of the copper washer...Thanks if you will post. If you take the filter out, you can also sweep the inside of the pan of the transmission, particularly toward the rear of the case, with an extendable magnetic pickup tool to see if anything is sitting on the bottom of the casing. I used a large tool for the filter hole and a smaller tool for the drain plug side. Both picked up some very small particles. Use a funnel and a plastic tube and an assistant for the fill from the top of the engine compartment, with you watching the fill hole from the bottom of the car. This process makes things very easy. Pour slowly..., and good luck! FOR JAY...do all three plugs torque in at 20 ft.-lbs, as they are all different sizes? Thanks.

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Hi Richard,
Thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to take note of the copper washer installation and post here. I'll do the transmission and engine oil change after this Saturday when I take my GT to Sears point for a few laps around the track! I replaced once again my halfshaft bolts with the Accufab kit and the ARP bolts. Everything looked good I just wanted to do a bolt replacement before this Saturday's fun.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
FOR JAY...do all three plugs torque in at 20 ft.-lbs, as they are all different sizes? Thanks.
Richard,

Yes, it seems strange, however it's in the workshop Manual that way. I am sure that the filter could be snuged a bit tighter, especially if there is some seepage afterwards. Jay

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
Richard,

Yes, it seems strange, however it's in the workshop Manual that way. I am sure that the filter could be snuged a bit tighter, especially if there is some seepage afterwards. Jay

Jay...I noticed the same torque settings in the manual, as you mention. I just thought you might have come across another, perhaps more specific, reference for the three sizes which might be different... based upon actual thread size, pitch and plug size (Do you know what those are ?). Thanks!

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Jay...I noticed the same torque settings in the manual, as you mention. I just thought you might have come across another, perhaps more specific, reference for the three sizes which might be different... based upon actual thread size, pitch and plug size (Do you know what those are ?). Thanks!
Richard,

Let's speak tomorrow (Thursday) (949) 366-1211 or (949) 412-8889 cell, after 10 AM.

Also, I will run my Boltcalc software and get some better values, okay!

Another thing, thanks for mentioning the use of a magnetic wand to pick up metal particles laying on the bottom of trans case. There is a lot of junk in there!

Jay

Last edited:

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
Richard,

Let's speak tomorrow (Thursday) (949) 366-1211 or (949) 412-8889 cell, after 10 AM.

Jay

Jay...I assume that is 10 AM Pacific?.....

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Jay...I assume that is 10 AM Pacific?.....
Sorry, YES, you are correct! :thumbsup