So What Other Cars Did You Consider?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...Ralphie, you remember those days? Enjoy Tomy.

I could tell some stories, but I'm sworn to secrecy....

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
If I was a man of means (or less tight with a dollar saved), I think my other consideration (assuming we are talking late model exotics) would be a 12C. I don't think it is a particularly stunning body, nor a design that will truly stand the test of decades, but...I think it represents the pinnacle of current automotive technology. And, it does satisfy the emotional attachment that many of us desire...the name McLaren.

To be clear...the 12C would be in addition to the GT, not instead of the GT. :wink

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...And, it does satisfy the emotional attachment that many of us desire...the name McLaren....

Such as...
View attachment 27215

View attachment 27216

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Glad your OK RPM....I used to drive in early Nov and remember the deer, narrow westchester roads, shoulders, etc.

Real hazards...

You will be in a GT soon

GTHunter

GT Owner
Feb 14, 2012
Houston, TX
I have heard a few stories about a few of them nothing super major though... -HB

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
The GT on our showroom was Dk. Blue/white and in 1967. One of the 5-6 cars sent around the country on tour to Ford Dealers for 30 days each for display. We has it 3 months as it got lost and noone picked it up. It went back to Detroit then sold to Edsel Ford, then to John Mecom and Steve Forrestall in Houston where it was painted white then to Europe. I purchased my 2006 Ford GT 39 years and two weeks to the day after having the 67 GT-40 in Texas City. When people ask me "how long did it take you to get a Ford GT, I tell them 39 years and 2 week and a lot of hard work". I have many pictures of the 67 GT40 at different stages after we had it. Makes for a great story board for my GT with pictures in the same spot on our showroom.

OnLy Me

Jun 26, 2008
Also the Scud will LIVE in the maintenance shop... Good luck finding you dream car! -HB
FWIW, this couldn't be further from the truth. I own one, and know many others that do as well. The Scud is pretty much bullet proof.

tmctguer

GT Owner
Jan 11, 2010
dana point, CA
to answer the original posted question about which OTHER cars I considered prior to purchasing my Ford GT: a). Ferrari 360, b). Ferrari 430, c). 1966 - 1970 Shelby Mustang, d). Lamborghini Gallardo. My fiance liked the Ferrari 430 best, and i was really tempted, but i decided that the Ford GT was such an awesome beast that I would never tire of owning it. Plus, i liked the fact that they were holding their value. it was interesting to compare the list price of the cars above (less the Shelby) compared to their depreciated used value.

The orginal GT i looked at was a Tungsten one -- i really liked that color. then i did some research and decided to hold out for a Heritage. i figured if i was going to own an awesome beast of a machine, i might as well get the most audacious color scheme which seemed to match its racing history.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
to answer the original posted question about which OTHER cars I considered prior to purchasing my Ford GT: a). Ferrari 360, b). Ferrari 430, c). 1966 - 1970 Shelby Mustang, d). Lamborghini Gallardo. My fiance liked the Ferrari 430 best, and i was really tempted, but i decided that the Ford GT was such an awesome beast that I would never tire of owning it. Plus, i liked the fact that they were holding their value. it was interesting to compare the list price of the cars above (less the Shelby) compared to their depreciated used value.

The orginal GT i looked at was a Tungsten one -- i really liked that color. then i did some research and decided to hold out for a Heritage. i figured if i was going to own an awesome beast of a machine, i might as well get the most audacious color scheme which seemed to match its racing history.

I had 2 Shelby Mustangs in the 80s, one was a '68 KR-500 convertible. Really didn't think they were that great, so I migrated to Corvettes. Amazing to see how sought after they are now. The LP Gallardos are really nice, but they're still new-ish so the depreciation will be poor. Was disappointed in the 430, could only imagine how much worse a 360 would have been. The Scuderia is amazing, but gets a thumbs down for high interior noise and resonance.

So I'm down to a head vs heart decison. My budget really shouldn't exceed $170k, but I really would want a 5k mile YELLOW GT. Am I just dreaming here?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
My budget really shouldn't exceed $170k, but I really would want a 5k mile YELLOW GT. Am I just dreaming here?

I would not get hung up on mileage.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I would not get hung up on mileage.

I respect your opinion, but all exotics are mileage sensitive. I guess my goal would be to be able to drive the car for 3-4 years and still be less than 10k miles. I think I can do that in a red car for $170k (????), but my preference would be yellow.

Chicago Motorcars has a 2k mile yellow, but has a BIN of $200k.

Fracman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Houston, TX
PM Sent

gtforme

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2009
I would think that there are a tremendous amount of guys / girls thinking about an exotic purchase and I am sure that everyone one of them is not ignoring the fact that the GT was only made in 2 years and is holding its value better than 95% of the other exotics

I looked at others but it was the history of the GT and the limited production that got me to pull the trigger , same reason I pulled the trigger on my stunning cobra

I tell my freinds if you want to buy an exotic and that same car is made next year with a newer model you are throwing 50% of your money away minimum

Get the GT it will not dissapoint and I doubt you will see the values drop any time soon

Also get a shelby cobra to keep the GT company , they are quite a pair

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I respect your opinion, but all exotics are mileage sensitive. I guess my goal would be to be able to drive the car for 3-4 years and still be less than 10k miles. I think I can do that in a red car for $170k (????), but my preference would be yellow.

Chicago Motorcars has a 2k mile yellow, but has a BIN of $200k.

Pretty much a yellow low-mileage GT value these days - I paid that for an MSO "no-mileage-in-the-wrapper" car 10 months ago, but prices have escalated a fair bit since then. Many today are asking in the 200K+ range in a variety of colors, and are being sold in the same range. There are a few here and there that sell for quite a bit less, but you also have to know who you're buying them from. You're going to pay a premium to buy one from a reputable seller...but in the end, that may just save you a lot of grief anyway. I bought two cars site-unseen from a well known seller here and I have never looked back. My 1st (less than 2 years ago) one was a white 2K miler...and was under 160k (mint shape). Today, it's worth a perhaps about 40k more than what I paid. I don't do much mileage on the GT either...(no flamers please - LOL)

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I would think that there are a tremendous amount of guys / girls thinking about an exotic purchase and I am sure that everyone one of them is not ignoring the fact that the GT was only made in 2 years and is holding its value better than 95% of the other exotics

I looked at others but it was the history of the GT and the limited production that got me to pull the trigger , same reason I pulled the trigger on my stunning cobra

I tell my freinds if you want to buy an exotic and that same car is made next year with a newer model you are throwing 50% of your money away minimum

Get the GT it will not dissapoint and I doubt you will see the values drop any time soon

Also get a shelby cobra to keep the GT company , they are quite a pair
Which Shelby Cobra would be the best bet to purchase? I'm not talking about resale, but quality of car...

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
FWIW.

I wanted a low mile Blue car. When I finally made the decision to move forward, the market was moving. While I piddled around trying to decide whether I could get a 2400 mile car for $X or a 3900 mile car for $Y and wanting to get, of course the best deal, Several cars sold within days of listing and the prices were jumping upward.

Moral? If I had not stood around believing it was a buyer's market, I may have been able to get a better car or a better purchasing experience.

I went with the low mileage car and it immediately needed Battery (they installed the wrong battery), battery cables and hold down hardware, 3 gauges replaced and an expensive paint restoration by a qualified detailer to fix poor washing technique. I had a PPI done by what was reported to be "the" FGT dealer in the area. They missed all that. I guess they just confirmed no accident History. Shipping was also a hassle and the shipper chunked the rear diffuser.

There was a no questions, "nothing needed" car, with a 1500 miles more at the same asking price from forum sponsor (Shelby). I got hung up on the miles and ended up with some minor grief and several thousand $ in extra expenses. I know the mileage/price #s are different but the theme is still the same.

If you want a FGT, and you see one that fits your needs, now is not the time to piddle. :wink

gtforme

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2009
The best cobra in my opinion for value , looks , reliability and authinticity would be the Superformance , I attached a picture of my SPF beast

If you think the FORD GT is exciting to drive , you wont know what exciting is until you sit behind 600 horses in these cars , just plain scary but I love it

Attachments

• SPF 1698-1.jpg
    SPF 1698-1.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 174

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Which Shelby Cobra would be the best bet to purchase? I'm not talking about resale, but quality of car...

There is Kirkham and then all the others

Kirkhams are so authentic, they only stand out because they are perfect in every way.

http://www.kirkhammotorsports.com/

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
There is Kirkham and then all the others

Kirkhams are so authentic, they only stand out because they are perfect in every way.

http://www.kirkhammotorsports.com/

Kirkhams are aluminum body, and typically are not painted (somehow someone started the "bare naked lady" thing and others seem to like it - I do not). If you get a Kirkham painted it will end up costing you as much as a Shelby CSX car.

You can also build a SPF fiberglass car that will net out to within a few thousand of a Shelby CSX car.

Do not buy anything until you've sat in the seat. Different manufacturers will have different cockpits, notably the steering wheel placement was low in the SPF and the wheel rubbed my lap. The Shelby was angled higher and I never had a problem.

No matter what it is a finished roller, without an engine, and there are horror stories of "bad cars" with Shelby/SPF/ERA, etc. attached to them. It's BS. I know of no bad roller - when asked they generally say the roller itself is fine. The problem is the engine and quality of the power train install. If you get one be very careful about your choice of engine/trans and who does the installation. Stay away from Roush fuel injection. Look for a quality installer, lots of people have good stuff to say about Olthoff racing and a guy in Nebraska.

I would also recommend looking at a 289 car. The 427s are really overpowered and unless you race, not so enjoyable on the street. [I never felt I was exercising the 427 to its potential. A 289 FIA is a nice street car and can be raced too.

I speak from experience - I had a Shelby CSX4000 with a Roush fuel injected engine (I bought it that way). I wish I'd had room in the garage for it but the wife hated it - it was too hot, too smelly, too windy, too noisy, too uncomfortable, too (anything you could put too in front of). The GT has A/C and a place to plug an iPod into.

Be sure you get signoff from your significant other or you may be driving alone.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I agree on the paint and on the 289 FIA. Better weight, power and balance.

Steve asked about the Best hence the Kirkham reference. Are you saying the CSX cars are better? Or are they just glass replicas with an official license? (yes, some aluminum too.)

Didn't Shelby and Kirkham have a short Marriage too? Rumor I heard is there wasn't enough fat left in it for Shelby to continue the relationship. Kirkhams aren't cheap but you know the old saying.

Why did you not not like the Roush EFI?

Last edited: