So Cal Ford GT Rally to Las Vegas

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
I do believe AlohaGT and HiloDave will be in the pack

Yes, that's the plan, AtomicGT. I'll be driving her on the 747 next week for Kendall's special massaging.

Kendall, did you have some other plan in mind?

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
Back roads

Hi all. For those from San Diego/Orange County, if anyone wants to come over early for my back road route, we live in Rancho Mirage. For those coming over the mountains from So. OC and S.D. via Hwy 74. We can host a pit stop, plenty of off street, private parking. We can supply restrooms, bagels, espressos, coffee, etc.

Some may want to come over the day before and stay overnight to make it an easier drive as it will be about 5 1/2 hours from here. If so, we can host a B-B-Q here.

Of course, anyone coming this way is welcome to stop in for a break and meet up with the group here at the house. We are about 10 miles out of the way for those coming out the 91 and 60.

What time do you all want to leave from Palm Springs area (or want to get into Vegas)?

For those that don't want to meet at our house, I will find a meeting spot for everyone and then, all we need is a start time.

Jim and Barb

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
SYCO, why not buy a GPS?

Thanks Doc. I have the Nuvi 660, it works great and is definitely a huge timesaver. I'm terrible as a route leader, since I just blindly follow the GPS or whatever car is in front on group drives.

Sometimes the GPS route is not always the best, but again, give me an address, and I can get there. Beats using maps for me... :thumbsup

somelee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 9, 2007
New York & SoCal
since you've touched on this....i was wondering....there is no power port to plug a GPS into huh? The charge port doesn't work for that I assume. So what do all you guys do for power?

I'm keeping my eyes open here for a meeting spot to caravan from....I'll do whatever you all decide on.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I leave mine connected to the AC charger, then just drag a long extension cord behind me....

:lol:lol

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
since you've touched on this....i was wondering....there is no power port to plug a GPS into huh? The charge port doesn't work for that I assume. So what do all you guys do for power?

I've been using the accessory plug next to the POWER button, factory equipped outlet.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
My Tom Tom works get in my cigarette lighter power port. Also have a Garmin that also works. Hasn't been a problem. JimF, appreciate the offer to meet in Rancho Mirage. Since I am coming from Brentwood, will probably avoid the traffice and hassles normally associated with getting to PS and will try to meet someone on the I-15 and make it a straight shot into Lost Wages. Anyone still planning on hooking up on Wednesday AM on the I-15 in Hesperia above the Cajon Pass?

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
I'm in....

My Tom Tom works get in my cigarette lighter power port. Also have a Garmin that also works. Hasn't been a problem. JimF, appreciate the offer to meet in Rancho Mirage. Since I am coming from Brentwood, will probably avoid the traffice and hassles normally associated with getting to PS and will try to meet someone on the I-15 and make it a straight shot into Lost Wages. Anyone still planning on hooking up on Wednesday AM on the I-15 in Hesperia above the Cajon Pass?

Just got in from Maui.......I'm in for an early am drive to LV...Wed.

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
San Diego to Las Vegas

I will be leaving San Diego Wednesday AM, to go to Las Vegas !!! I would like to meet up with a group going to Las Vegas; Either through Palm Springs or ??? :confused

Jones

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2007
Orange County, CA
JimF- What time do you think you will be arriving at Baker? Stopping for lunch?

AtomicGT- What time are you planning to leave Hesperia?

somelee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 9, 2007
New York & SoCal
are we getting any closer to a decision? I know I haven't really chimed in on this....personally I'm not sure I want to take 8 hours to get there....I'm all for hitting the pool and chillin' a bit. But if that's the consensus than so be it. I've done this Vegas drive a ton and I can say depending on time the most direct route shouldn't take more than 4 hours..from where I am (Malibu)..or 15 to Baker then through Death valley (127 to 178) to hwy 160 through Pahrump is kind of nice because you get a pretty good taste of the death Valley thing and it doesn't add a ton of time to the trip.
guess we need to figure it out soon huh?

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
JimF- What time do you think you will be arriving at Baker? Stopping for lunch?

AtomicGT- What time are you planning to leave Hesperia?

I could do lunch in Baker, if anyone is planning to meet there.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
It doesn't matter to me where the stop is, I will be at the IN & OUT by 10:00 AM, plan on leaving there by 10:30 - 11:00. Ontario Mills mall is okay but I don't want to get off the freeway, surface streets, lights, parking lots, etc. I will be on the road at IN & OUT in Hesperia. Can easily make Baker by Lunch. I am not in for Death Valley, temperature is brutal, anyone having over heating problems will likely be delayed a considerable amount of time and I am not sure what kind of services are there at this time of year. Can't put my GT hauling my behind through that kind of heat. Plus it is, to me, way out of the way. If you are meeting at Ontario Mills Mall, pick me up in Hesperia.

Jones

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2007
Orange County, CA
Wednesday's plan v2.0

No problem, no need to have meeting points 30 miles apart.

Ontario Mills - scratched
10am - IN & OUT, Hesperia
12pm* - Baker, lunch
3pm* - Somelee = Poolside :cheers

Following lunch, one direct caravan to Vegas, one by way of Pahrump with the Palm Desert group.

*all times are approximate and based on previous driving trips at legal speed limits.:driving:

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
JimF

Anyway you can bring your group into Baker around Noon on Wednesday? Maybe us costal guys can hook up with the PS FGTs and either take I-15 into Vegas or Vegas via Pahrump, sans Sherrie's Ranch, of course.

Would suggest picking up a set of Motorola Waklie Talkies, at local Best Buy or Camera Store. Channel 7, sub channel 11 (Vegas Lucky Numbers). These are excellent and quick ways of keeping up communications between cars. We can designate a sweeper and a lead car. That way we know where everyone is.

Last edited:

somelee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 9, 2007
New York & SoCal
so is the In-&-Out where we're all meeting? And if so I'd like to confirm the address is it 13704 Main St, Hesperia, CA?
10 ish? to leave by 10:30 or 11? And at that point people will decide which route to take?

the walkie talkie idea is a pretty good idea. waddya all think? we'd all have to make sure we bought the same ones right?

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
I'm cool with the Pahrump idea since it will give the guys that want a taste of "Death" a good out. With the temps estimated at 115 through the valley some of the cars might not like the heat.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
so is the In-&-Out where we're all meeting? And if so I'd like to confirm the address is it 13704 Main St, Hesperia, CA?
10 ish? to leave by 10:30 or 11? And at that point people will decide which route to take?

the walkie talkie idea is a pretty good idea. waddya all think? we'd all have to make sure we bought the same ones right?

Somelee, Somelow Yes wise grasshopper! Map below. If you buy the Motorola Citizen Band Walkie Talkie. They will all work.

InandOutHesperia.jpg

motorolawalkietalkie2.jpg
motorolawalkietalkie.jpg

somelee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 9, 2007
New York & SoCal
alright so it is......I'm going to have to leave butt early to get there in time....thats about a 2 hour trip for me......I'll be there though don't leave without me! :biggrin

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Anyone from So Cal planning on an early Thursday AM departure drive to Vegas?