So.... anybody ready to start talking about alternative gauges for the FGT?

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Mac all working last week.

H

HHGT

It has been 4 years since I have turned my radio on. No gauge failures.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Mac, 2 guages gone bad.

Starting to look like a pattern. :bored

Shoot, I love the mac (after sub relocating).

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Mac and my fuel gauge somtimes stays at empty, but turn car off and back on and it will work....Love the stock Mac system!

DLKGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 10, 2005
Southern CA & Hilo, Hawaii
Recent 100 % Dead Tach & 50/50 sometimes dead boost / Mac (but NEVER turned on in last 4 years)

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
No Mac. The tach started acting sluggish and sticking with the 5-year old OEM battery. Once I replaced the battery with another Optima, the tach began working normally. No issues with any of the other gauges.

JAYGT

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2010
MIAMI
Non mac with no gauge failures just replaced the original black top not too long ago with the die hard. Only problem was the gas gauge acted up after a fuel up. No problems since but funny enough all my toggle switch led lights don’t work (already replaced) except for the hazard?

H

HHGT

Non mac with no gauge failures just replaced the original black top not too long ago with the die hard. Only problem was the gas gauge acted up after a fuel up. No problems since but funny enough all my toggle switch led lights don’t work (already replaced) except for the hazard?

Originally Red Batteries came with the car if I am not mistaken. Warranty replacements were Black. Both had the Ford GT stickers on them.

NJF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Even if you don't have the Mac turned on it may power up the amp regardless which in turn could put a surge on the electronics in the cockpit. Not saying this is the cause, however it may be the smoking gun, or at least a place to start. I have watched a lot of threads. I had my original battery go dead after 2 month of taking delivery in 2006. I jumped I with a battery tender, and have since replaced the OEM battery. I replaced the factory tender with an aftermarket purchased on the Forum. My car sits from October thru may due to proximity.

Just trying to find a potential solution to this nagging problem. A surge of electrical impulse by turning the amp hot, even if switched off could fry delicate electronic instruments. I am assuming that the Mac puts out in excess of 100-200 amps minimum.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Originally Red Batteries came with the car if I am not mistaken. Warranty replacements were Black. Both had the Ford GT stickers on them.

My OEM Optima has a black top...it's an '06.

H

HHGT

My OEM Optima has a black top...it's an '06.

Both of mine came with Red Tops. Dealers did change batteries before they sold new cars after doing stupid stuff like jumper cables.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Even if you don't have the Mac turned on it may power up the amp regardless .....
It does not. When the amp powers up you can hear the muffin fans spinning. When it's all said and done, the gauge problem will be just that, a gauge problem, not caused by anything other than the fact that the gauges are junk.

NJF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mine came with a black top and is an 06 as well.

JAYGT

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2010
MIAMI
My black top with the gt sticker is also an 06

JJayB

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Orange Park Acres, CA
I've had three failed gauges and like many would like a miracle cure. However the premise that the RF signal may cause a voltage spike is like a galvanic battery bringing life to Frankenstein. It works in the movies but not in real life. As the desperation for a fix increases the wilder the theory's become.

Here's what we know. It takes 10 volts to the gauge control module for the gauges to come on line. It's been frequently reported that a new battery revives the dead gauges. No, it's just that you need 10 volts and the old lead slug is putting out about 8. I don't subscribe to the battery theory. Just like a computer sometimes the system needs to reset. There are some that believe in the voltage spike issue. Usually there is a voltage protection circuit, but I haven't been able to get my hands on a wiring diagram, only the workshop manual that basically allows the technician to replace the parts rather than find the cause.

Autometer the manufacturer of the gauges hides behind the proprietary agreement with FoMoCo. Many on the board have tried to contact them for service or information and have been ignored myself included. Hollywood Speedometer an icon in the gauge business for as long as I can remember, have tried to buy the gauge movements in large quantities and have been denied. Hollywood's electronics' guru has had the gauges apart and he's critical of the cheap Chinese movements. Autometer supplies the parts and refuses to give technical information to the consumer. Why is that, because their still selling the crappy gauges to Ford who's making a killing on the margins.

Ford has several of our gauges and I'll be happy to send mine in also, but I can't believe any manufacturer would give a rip about a non safety issue on an out of warrantee parts. Ford knows there is a gauge issue, their parts department is selling the $200 tachs for $1100 and more in some cases. Did you know the parts computers have a program that tell the bean counters how many high margin parts are being sold!

Ok, if there is no circuit related problem for the instruments, then what? I've come to the conclusion these are poorly made gauges relying on chinese technology, probably the same high quality control that put poison in pet food. We are just dead dogs on this issue.
Jimmy

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Can Hollywood Gauges or anyone else for that matter build good quality gauges that can be used in place of the stock units? :confused

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Can Hollywood Gauges or anyone else for that matter build good quality gauges that can be used in place of the stock units? :confused

How many people and how much would they spend for stock looking gauges that lasted longer and had a lifetime warranty?

My guess is not enough to make a solid business case to makes a replacement set.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
JJayB, interesting post. I agree on the battery and Mac not being the issue, as for the rest of your assessment I hope your wrong but fear you may be right.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
How many people and how much would they spend for stock looking gauges that lasted longer and had a lifetime warranty?

My guess is not enough to make a solid business case to makes a replacement set.

These guys make fairly sophisticated gauges for boat builders all the time. They even do one off sets for individual boat owners. Either mechanical or electronic, GPS incorporated speedo's etc. They have to be tough to take the harsh environment and beating a HiPo boat dishes out.

http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/gauge_styles.htm

http://www.livorsi.com/gallery_cu.html

Last edited:

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007

All cars came with a black top. Replacements had a red top.