So.... anybody ready to start talking about alternative gauges for the FGT?

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I haven't logged on in several days and was surprised by the level of activity and emotion this topic has generated. I indicated to DBk that I would send my 2nd failed gauge to him. While I greatly appreciate DBK's willingness to extend himself, I did not follow through - my car hasn't even been uncovered since October. Perhaps when I finally take the cover off and go for a drive I'll feel reinvigorated - right now I just don't.

I'm in the camp of it makes no sense to replace a failed gauge with another that may likewise fail inexplicably. I'm past the emotion, and getting myself all worked up over the insensitive comments made by those fortunate enough to not have experienced the problem would be as foolish as the comments themselves. One day I'll wake up and it will all be clear ..... we all have options; some more profound than others!

H

HHGT

Some guy is selling a used Temp Gauge on eBay for $30... He is out of Placentia, CA. I sent him a message and have not heard.

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I am again asking the question, does anyone know if I pull my two bad guages and run the car with out connecting the new guages, will this cause a problem? Don't want to connect the new guages until we have a better idea of what is wrecking them. I would like to send them to DBK to help out the cause, but still would like to be able to drive the car while waiting for a solution. It may be that no one knows the risk, if any, to running the car with some guages disconnected.

hollywoodstunts

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2009
Venice, CA
I am again asking the question, does anyone know if I pull my two bad gauges and run the car with out connecting the new gauges, will this cause a problem?
Wish I could help you. I have no idea. Thought there were people out there more knowledgeable on this topic and have no idea why they aren't chiming in.
DBK, can you please post the address to send failed gauges? Don't want to be "part of the problem" in the process of addressing a problem, so I'll ship it out tomorrow.
Thanks.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Has anyone had a guage fail while using a battery other than an Optima?

I know there are many posts about trickle chargers, batteries, etc., but I don't remember (and can't find) a post for a guage failure occurring with a non Optima.

laniakea

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 11, 2009
Some guy is selling a used Temp Gauge on eBay for $30... He is out of Placentia, CA. I sent him a message and have not heard.

I bid 100.00 on the gauge so I can hopefully analyze it when I have a few minutes to spare. If there is nothing apparent to me I will send it to a friend who is a design engineer at Intel and much smarter than I am for his opinion. If we both strike out I will forward it to DBK so he can turn it over to SVT. Let’s not all compete against each other, I am doing this on the Forum’s behalf.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I am again asking the question, does anyone know if I pull my two bad guages and run the car with out connecting the new guages, will this cause a problem? Don't want to connect the new guages until we have a better idea of what is wrecking them. I would like to send them to DBK to help out the cause, but still would like to be able to drive the car while waiting for a solution. It may be that no one knows the risk, if any, to running the car with some guages disconnected.

Rick,

Although I can't say with absolutely certainty, I doubt that operating the car without the gauges would cause a problem. Perhaps it would throw a code but I would imagine nothing more.

laniakea

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 11, 2009
Without having a schematic for the gauge circuit nobody can say for sure whether or not you will do any damage. If there is a voltage/current regulator that controls all gauges simultaneously, having two missing may allow more current to travel to the remaining gauges causing them to fail. My gut feeling agrees with Sinovac’s post about generating an OBD code but a definitive answer cannot be given. I would not be willing to do this experiment with my car.

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I agree, not worth the risk, and a perfect catch 22. Unless I want to play roullette with my new guages.

hollywoodstunts

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2009
Venice, CA
DBK: Can you please publish the address where to send my failed tach?
Thanks!

JLG

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 24, 2008
Miami, FL
Late to the thread--I have had three gauges fail: oil pressure, boost and temp. One with brand new optima battery installed prior to gauge replacement with failure two weeks later of another gauge.

I have been driving with speedo, tach, boost "unplugged" to preserve them until the gauge gods determine a root cause--no additional gauge failures over the past 6-8 months.

Ford replace gauges out of warranty--they were not very helpful in filling out paperwork on the issue to Ford headquarters or in diagnosis.

Have one gauge will send to DBK, if can get the addess.

As stated by many --need a fix so we can continue to enjoy the ride for years to come.

NJF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Has anyone experienced gauge failures on radio delete cars, or are the gauge failures been isolated only to cars with the Macintosh? Is it possible that the amp places a surge on the electronics that the gauges just can't handle?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Has anyone experienced gauge failures on radio delete cars, or are the gauge failures been isolated only to cars with the Macintosh? Is it possible that the amp places a surge on the electronics that the gauges just can't handle?

I have a non-Mac car and never (knock on wood) had a gauge failure. I don't know if there is any connection.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
As I recall, some one posted about gauge failures in Ford E series vans related to RFI from some source on board.... the amp would seem to be a plausible source to me.

mardyn

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I had an Mac system but removed all of it except for the speakers and replaced the head unit and sub-amp with a Pioneer Z3. I didn't see any need for a better sub-amp than the one built into the Z3 with my FRPP cat deletes. :biggrin

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
As I recall, some one posted about gauge failures in Ford E series vans related to RFI from some source on board.... the amp would seem to be a plausible source to me.

mardyn
i have a canadian car, no subwoofer and no gauge failures. knock on wood.

post #74
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...native-gauges-for-the-FGT&p=268698#post268698

Last edited:

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location

Non-Mac car here, just replaced the still working OEM black Optima w/ a Ford GT red-top Optima. All gauges are go.

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Copying my input to this topic- since it does answer has any one had a gauge failure with another battery (and radio is always off):
At the Mojave mile I had some interesting gauge issues. After several intermittent gauge failures when I bought the car in 2006, for several years now, on battery tender, I would always turn on the key and wait until the odometer showed it's mileage, figuring all handshaking with computer and gauges was done. Then press start and this seemed to work. Got a new Sear platinum a month ago. With rushing to get off the start grid at Mojave I may have pushed the start button a little earlier. Had my speedometer start sticking during my qualifying runs (output shaft speed sensor replaced once under warranty for the same failure before it completely died). Went too fast and slowed down and had speedo at 160, and the laser trap said I was going 138. Next run same thing, but 160 was 148. Calibrating the speedo with GPS on my drive down my speedo was consistently 3 mph high over the GPS, at 75-100. Getting low on gas, at one start up, my oil pressure dropped to zero, along with some odd rpm changes (that did occur as I heard and felt the changes.) Immediately shut it off, and started up again waiting for the odometer to read (to the consternation of the starter who was waiting for me to get off the line). Oil pressure was then fine and gauges all were reacting. I'm also going ahead and maintaining that my highest speed (195.1) was due to speedo error ( I was reading 202-204 on speedo) and max speed limiter.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
No Mac. No gauge failures.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
No Mac. Gauges all fine.