Smog / drive cycle

mlane

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 27, 2008
Coto de Caza, CA
Hey Guys looking for a little help-
I took my car in to get a SMOG cert. The car (100% stock) passed everything BUT the catalytic converter read "not ready". The guy working the machine asked if I had changed the battery recently (which I did a week prior to taking it in). He said, because I took the battery out I have to complete a number of "drive cycles" or put a certain number of miles on the car in order for it to get a reading. Has anyone come across this and if so how many miles or "drive cycles" did it take to get a good reading?
Thx

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Try here:

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

Do all of the steps in order from start to finish. Then if you don't have a system ready for all of them do the specific sequence for the missing ones to make up. When it says "drive to x MPH then stop without using brakes" etc, do it exactly as it says.

You won't be able to tell though unless you get an OBDII reader. I got one from Amazon.com that is a bluetooth that attaches to the OBDII port and an app on my android phone called Torque (free one).

Remember to take your driver's license with you when you do it because all of the stopping stuff and pulling off to the side of the road three times in a mile gets cops attention. Don't ask me how I know that.

Note: You are allowed one "system not ready" to pass. One of them cannot be evap though (the gas cap seal has to be good.)

Also, if you have any check engine codes other than P1000 or the ones related to the evap system it will have to be cleared before the cycle. Clearing the code also clears all system ready indicators, so as you work through them DO NOT CLEAR CODES or you have to start all over.

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Note: You are allowed one "system not ready" to pass. One of them cannot be evap though (the gas cap seal has to be good.)

I am speaking only of California. In previous years, when car were tested on the rollers and with a sniff test, you were allowed to have one Monitor not set. It didn't matter which Monitor this was.

In the current testing - where it is only a connection to the OBD2 port, the ONLY monitor that can still be in an un-set stage is the EVAP monitor. ALL other monitors must be set.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I am speaking only of California. In previous years, when car were tested on the rollers and with a sniff test, you were allowed to have one Monitor not set. It didn't matter which Monitor this was.

In the current testing - where it is only a connection to the OBD2 port, the ONLY monitor that can still be in an un-set stage is the EVAP monitor. ALL other monitors must be set.

My statement was what I was told for Nevada (and I still have a Catalyst not ready). I'd heard the rules were changing and that CA was going to zero not ready soon.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Our legislators are mentally deranged.