Silver State Classic

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
I took the red GT to the Silver State Classic last week. What a blast. Entered the 150 mph class. We (navigator to assist) cruised at 162mph (165 max speed to avoid DQ) with the engine at 3950/4000 rpm in 6th gear. Averaged about 10 mpg with 10 gals of Chevron 91 and 6 gals of 100LL race gas.

At that speed, I did not need to use the whole road on turns, stayed in my lane after I settled down with the idea of the speed. In the narrows, we slowed to 120 - a BIG mistake. Again, I did not need to get out of my lane for the section. The car, with stock wheels and Goodyears, should easily handle 150 through there. I would want 3 runs to get there though as the penalty is severe. One mile every 22 seconds or so. WOW:banana

We were 14 seconds fast at the finish due to stop watch issues (knowing which button to push when:confused) and were 14th.

IMO the car should be in the 180 mph class to have any challenge. At 150 it is a Sunday drive with this car. Stable at speed and no issues in the turns. I will add stiffer springs for the next time though as I think it can use them even on the street.

We did a test acceleration run from 0 to about 150 to get an idea of the initial time we would lose at the start. We got there in less than 18 seconds with a very conservative start to protect the clutch.

Question: What will the car do over a measured mile? I think it should be close the magic 200mph. David, do you have any data for this? I chickened out on the Saturday contest as I did not want to risk hurting the car and missing the event. Sorry now that I did.

A great event for every GT guy and gal. There is even a Hookers Choice car show but I won't go into that one. They will accept our GT's into the 150 class without a roll bar as they belive the roof section is strong enough from the factory:biggrin Now I just need to convince them to let us into the 180 class for the spring event.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Great post. Nice info good for 150 in stock trim.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i raced my viper at this event again this year in the 150 mph class. i got 11th place this year as a result of being 2.7 seconds fast. i did see that a viper took 1st in our class. i was hoping to see more ford GT's this year as last year there were only 3. i will be racing my ford GT at this event next year in the 150 mph class again. i hope to get a chance to meet you next time. i see that you were running stillens X-pipe. have you increased your boost or tuned your computer?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Sounds like fun!!!!

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
How far do you run at that speed?

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Thanks for posting. This is an event I have always wanted to do as the pilot. Can you run the GT in this class even if you have not run with them before do you have to start at a slower target speed ?

96 miles is about the run one way, right?

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
Answers to several querys:

Other than the Stillen exhaust and cat delete, the car was stock. I added the harnesses and fire ext. as required.

The course is 90 miles long and is run one way, of course.

I was a rookie but was allowed to run the 150 mph class because of my competition licenses. While the 150 class normally requires a roll bar, Steve W. accepted the car as is because of the strength of the structure inside the roof.

Anyone on this side of the country should run the event in their GT. The car is just rock solid at 150. For the next time, I will have the Stillen front splitter and larger rear diffuser, lower it, corner ballance, different (larger) wheels, different tires and stiffer springs. I think the car would be improved even on the street with stiffer springs. With these changes, the car will be even better though it is great as is. Bone stock is great for this event.

Does anyone know what the car can do over a measured mile in stock contition?

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Answers to several querys:

Other than the Stillen exhaust and cat delete, the car was stock. I added the harnesses and fire ext. as required.

The course is 90 miles long and is run one way, of course.

I was a rookie but was allowed to run the 150 mph class because of my competition licenses. While the 150 class normally requires a roll bar, Steve W. accepted the car as is because of the strength of the structure inside the roof.

Anyone on this side of the country should run the event in their GT. The car is just rock solid at 150. For the next time, I will have the Stillen front splitter and larger rear diffuser, lower it, corner ballance, different (larger) wheels, different tires and stiffer springs. I think the car would be improved even on the street with stiffer springs. With these changes, the car will be even better though it is great as is. Bone stock is great for this event.

Does anyone know what the car can do over a measured mile in stock contition?

on a runway at sea level road & track magazine (september 2005) tested a bone stock ford GT and got 171.4 mph in the mile. at the silver state classic this would be about 156 mph as the static elevation is way above sea level at 6,500 feet. according to my tag weather station the corrected density altitude on saturday at the 1 mile top speed shootout was 8,200 feet above sea level. all of the cars speeds would have been 15-20 mph faster at sea level.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
For a 1st time non-racing licensed driver, what is the top speed class a GT would be allowed in?

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
[QUOTE Does anyone know what the car can do over a measured mile in stock contition?[/QUOTE]

A Hennessey 700 GT (basically a pully and tune) did 185 consistently at the Texas Mile into a stiff 15 mph headwind.

I understand there will be several twin turbo GT's there next weekend so new records should be set.

I hope to do over 190 with my Whipple since I was able to hit 190 into the same 15 mph headwind. Hopefully we'll have calm conditions for the runs.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
[QUOTE Does anyone know what the car can do over a measured mile in stock contition?

A Hennessey 700 GT (basically a pully and tune) did 185 consistently at the Texas Mile into a stiff 15 mph headwind.

I understand there will be several twin turbo GT's there next weekend so new records should be set.

I hope to do over 190 with my Whipple since I was able to hit 190 into the same 15 mph headwind. Hopefully we'll have calm conditions for the runs.[/QUOTE]

how much boost are your runnin and what other modz do u got?

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
how much boost are your runnin and what other modz do u got?[/QUOTE said:
19 lbs on 93 octane. Accufab x-pipe and throttle body, Heffner installed the Whipple and dyno tuned the car. 732 rwhp.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
damn good numbers!

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
19 lbs on 93 octane. Accufab x-pipe and throttle body, Heffner installed the Whipple and dyno tuned the car. 732 rwhp.

get some long tube headers and ditch the cats. turn up the boost to 21 psi and get a tune for 104 octane unleaded race gas and you should be at 800 rwhp. i bet this would be good for at least 200 mph on the stock tires and close to 210 mph with nitto drag radials. what kind of tires are you runnin?

Last edited:

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
I don't know what the maximum class a non-competition dirver can run. I suggest you contact Steve W. and make your case for high speed driving.

As to top speed in a measured mile, I did a timed acceleration run to see how long it took to get to 150 mph so we could see how much time we would lose at the start. We started slow to get the clutch out prior to hard acceleration and timed the run to 150 at just under 18 seconds. At 150 mph, one mile takes 24 seconds to travel so we were well less than one mile at 150 on the speedo. A corvet clocked 183 in the mile competition so I would expect the GT to get much closer to the magic 200.

Has anyone done a measured mile acceleration run? I will next time I run the Classic but, since it was my first event there, I did not want to risk anything that might keep me out of the race. I know, I chickened out. Next time.