Silver State Classic anyone?

Rob Ferretti

May 2, 2006
NYC area
it was nice to meet you. we met at the shootout on saturday. i see that your car did very well in the shootout. i ran the 150 mph class again in my viper. like you i only got 1 run in at the shootout before the evo wrecked. unfortunately my g-force trans is a peice of sh*t and i missed my 5th gear shift. i was doin 140 mph at the half mile when i went for 5th and it cost me 5 mph at the 1 mile mark. i will be back next year in my ford GT. i am already stock piling parts and i will mod it this winter.

Its a shame the viper threw down oil as did the evo. A lot of people were like me, and figured we would get 5 or 6 passes. I just did a nice easy run to see what the road was like, I wished I could have gotten atleast 1 more pass. I plan on heading back out next year as well. What mods do you have planned for the winter?

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Its a shame the viper threw down oil as did the evo. A lot of people were like me, and figured we would get 5 or 6 passes. I just did a nice easy run to see what the road was like, I wished I could have gotten atleast 1 more pass. I plan on heading back out next year as well. What mods do you have planned for the winter?

i am taking my car to www.musclemotors.com in california this winter to have the following parts installed:

2.76 pulley for the stock supercharger (15-16 psi)
mmp x-pipe cat back exhaust (jett-hott coated with corsa tips)
accufab throttle body and air inlet support
mafia maf sensor
ngk tr6 spark plugs
sct tune for 91 octane and 100 octane
B&M short throw shifter
cooltech transaxle cooler
ford racing 6 point restraints
fire extinguisher

if you race your GT in any of the grand sport classes at the silver state the most important thing you will need is the trans cooler. beyond that the only thing the car needs in order to pass tech for the 150 mph class is 5 point restraints and a fire entinguisher :thumbsup

Rob Ferretti

May 2, 2006
NYC area
my ford GT recently became a project car. I had most of the mods you listed there and the car made 617 rwhp. Only problem was I rent it out and someone put it into a highway divider causing $90k in damage. Going to start the rebuilding process at Gennadi designs I think after I settle the insurance.

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
Harness

IMHO the way to go for a harness is to use a six point harness that does NOT use an anti-sub strap. No holes in the bottom of the car and the seat does not allow an anti-sub strap without a new hole.

The 6 point provides an anti-sub solution that is very superior to a 5 point. The best of the best is from Team Tech.

If the Texas mile allows our GT's to run without roll cages, we need to get Steve W. to allow us to run unlimited as well. The 150 class is a bore with our cars. The narrows at 120 is a no brainer. I believe, with some test runs, the GT can do the narrows at 150 and the rest of the course at 200+.

Lets get Steve the info. he needs to give us an exemption.

Jim:banana

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I just finished reading this thread as I am interested in running the Silver State Classic this year. Glad to hear I already have the recommended trans cooler as well as a fire extinguisher and six point harness. Sure will be great if the Rally III date allows for a simple extended stay.

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Kevin,

If you have any questions about the Silver State or any of the other Open Road Racing events in Nevada, I'll be happy to help you. I won the Unlimited Class at this past years Silver State at an average speed of 198.54 mph. I have been running the Nevada open road events for nine years.

Richard Hille
The GT School

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
http://www.silverstateclassic.com/

Richard any thoughts on the below would be helpful.

Sept 18-21

What classes do you recommend for open road newbies with basic saftey gear
Belts
Fire Ext
Helmet

What prep should we do to the car for an event like this?

Should we consider the date above weather wise or is a May event better. I thought this was a higher altitude, so perhaps the weather is cooler, but Vegas in Sept is almost always well over 100 deg.

Also maybe your experiences, if you had a chance to run the GT yet.

And 198mph avg , well that is just insane, WOW ! :eek

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Thanks Richard....I did see your Unlimited win last year when I was reading through that website prior to reading this thread last week. VERY IMPRESSIVE!
My first questions would be similar to Wally's...and first off, I'd like to know what class you think would be the best place to start. I'm really thinking this would be a great way to further enjoy the GT beyond open tracking.

Much appreciated.:thumbsup

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
http://www.silverstateclassic.com/

Richard any thoughts on the below would be helpful.

Sept 18-21

What classes do you recommend for open road newbies with basic safety gear
Belts
Fire Ext
Helmet

What prep should we do to the car for an event like this?

Should we consider the date above weather wise or is a May event better. I thought this was a higher altitude, so perhaps the weather is cooler, but Vegas in Sept is almost always well over 100 deg.

Also maybe your experiences, if you had a chance to run the GT yet.

And 198mph avg , well that is just insane, WOW ! :eek

Ok guys, I'll take these out of order, It doesn't matter whether you run the May or the September events, they both can be either boiling hot or almost freezing. When you, as rookies leave the starting line the wind should not be too bad. Being that they will not let you run very fast your first event (read the rules carefully) you don't need to do anything to your cars except install a fire extinguisher and wear a helmet and gloves. I personally would recommend harnesses. I would suggest you change the oil before the event.

I have not run the GT but my friend Larry Garuti has and he had a blast, but he has run these events many times in is Cobra R Mustangs.

198.54 mph average was just a nice Sunday drive that came up about 1.5 mph too slow for my goal.... ;-)

Richard Hille
Silver State Lifetime Member #198

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Thanks for taking the time to reply Richard. :thumbsup
So are you going for 200 this year?:eek

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Thanks for taking the time to reply Richard. :thumbsup
So are you going for 200 this year?:eek

I'm happy to help encourage participation in the most fun form of racing I've ever done, and I've been racing for about forty years.

As far as going for 200, I am most interested in finishing the events, but in the background, I am always looking for the "Deuce"....

Richard Hille
2005 Ford GT #916 - (The GT School)
1996 Z28 Camaro, 409 cu in, 216.9 mph top speed - 198.54 average 2007 Silver State Classic Challenge

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Richard you are quite an ambassador for the Silver State Classic. I am going to continue researching the event and will work toward my first run in September.
Thanks for offering your vast experience, in advance.:thumbsup

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
Silver State

OK guys, the spring version of the Silver State Classic is coming up in May.

Those of you in the western US should consider this event and get your feet wet prior to the September extravganza with the GT show. Learn the course and get your speed up for September.

I will be there with the Red 322. I know, I know, but it is the fastest color.

Let me know if you are coming and we will coordinate the GT contingent. Hope to see you there.

Jim

Cell 760.578.6103

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Well Guys,

I'll be running my Unlimited Class 700 HP 1996 Camaro again and hoping to improve on the 198 avergage speed from last September. I hope to see a whole bunch of Ford GTs at this event. You will definitely have a real blast. No pressure, just a fun four day party with a lot of diverse automotive lunatics, in a town that REALLY appreciates us coming there. Welcome to Ely, NV.

Richard Hille
The GT School
2005 Ford GT #916
1996 Camaro Z28 - 216.9 MPH max so far....

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
Out of curiosity, if a GT was running in the upper speed range for 90 miles, would it run out of fuel? Are there pit/gas stops?:confused

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
Pit Stops

No pit stops. The last 18 miles are downhill though so I was able to coast the rest of the way in when I ran out.:cheers

Actually, I was concerned about that very thing. At 150 mph, I was concerned with fuel milage. NO PROBLEM. Our cars get 10 mpg at 150.:banana:banana

I was at 3,900 rpm in 6th at 160 so, come on out. You will have fun and will not run out of gas.

Jim