Shipping our GTs to Europe for the 2016 Le Mans Classic

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Hi all

To clarify, the price quoted by the company on the initial post was for container, not RORO. Like most, I certainly would not ship my GT on a RORO basis.
In their responses to my inquiries, they mentioned they could arrange for insurance as well, but I hadn't gotten around to follow up on it. As other members have mentioned that this info posted was for the west coast..., the info in the initial post was intended to give members, who might be interested a general idea of the time/price to ship the car, and also to get this topic going for the 2016 Le Mans Classic.

larry21

GT Owner
Feb 13, 2006
Knutsford UK
hi all

to clarify, the price quoted by the company on the initial post was for container, not roro. Like most, i certainly would not ship my gt on a roro basis.
In their responses to my inquiries, they mentioned they could arrange for insurance as well, but i hadn't gotten around to follow up on it. As other members have mentioned that this info posted was for the west coast..., the info in the initial post was intended to give members, who might be interested a general idea of the time/price to ship the car, and also to get this topic going for the 2016 le mans classic.

way to go

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
It's perfectly safe to ship, but I would ship using a sealed container with 2 cars per container and nothing else inside. The time the cars are left waiting at either end of the journey is more of a concern. The tour I've been planning for Dave will have everything taken care of, including insurance for both the transit to Europe and the stay while in Europe. EVERYTHING will be taken care of so that those on the Tour will have zero worries, leaving maximum time for enjoyment. As Dave mentioned....it will be announced in due course and will be strictly limited in number.
Steve

Just another no brainer. Guess I'm 3 !!! :thumbsup:party:club:cheers

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Bony talked about a European GT trip & I told him I was in. Now it looks like it will happen - I'm still in!

Special Ed

PS Put me down ahead of Ralphie!

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
I ship several cars to the UK and back each year for European events and have done so for about 20+ years. My experiences follow:
1. Never ever use sea freight for a valuable car. Years ago a 40 ft. container with three of my historic Jaguars disappeared on its return to Charleston. Of course I under-insured the contents. Fortunately the container was "discovered" by customs a month later. Another 20 ft. container of mine was dropped pushing the floor of the container into the bottom the the car inside.
2. I use Cosdel in San Francisco for outbound airfreight and Customs paperwork. My cars depart and arrive the USA at the cargo center at Hartsfield Airport in Atlanta. The cars always arrive in the UK at Stansted airport north of London. My customs experiences in France or Italy have been less than successful. Upon arrival and customs clearance at Stansted the car can be driven or trucked anywhere in Europe.
3. Cars UK in Chedburgh does the inbound customs paperwork for me. US registered cars to be driven in the EU can enter the EU for a period of 6 months under a Tourist Entry.
4. Insuring US registered cars has been a problem and very expensive. Hagerty UK, though, has been very helpful and efficient insuring US registered vehicles in the EU and offers breakdown cover, too. I don't insure the cars in transit. I figure that the chance of a 747 freighter going down is extremely unlikely.
5. I reverse the procedure when returning the car to the USA. Cars UK for outbound shipping and paperwork and Cosdel for inbound paperwork.
6. Approximate airfreight cost outbound from Atlanta for a GT sized car $12,000.00. Inbound $20,000.00
I hope this information is helpful.

-GWB

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Thank you GWB. Insurance costs? Have you actually driven them there for any length of time?

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Thanks Gary for your input!
Glad to see you back on our Forum.

As Gary states, he has considerably experience in the across the pond shipping of autos...

Good information.

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
My primary USA policy for classic cars is with Chubb. Chubb covers everything except third party liability for my cars wherever they are located. I simply have to notify them of where the cars will be and when. Hagerty UK covers third party liability and breakdown cover. My annual premium with Hagerty for four vintage cars in Europe is about 700.00GBP ($1,100.00). it covers 100,000.00GBP legal expenses and 20,000,000.00GBP third party property cover. Third party liability is all that is legally required for driving in the EU.

And yes, I drive these old cars in Europe; a lot in England but down through France and Italy, too.

There are requirements for driving in the EU; safely vests, spare bulbs, a warning triangle and (for France) breathalyzers for the driver and passenger. Further, NO SPEEDING in Switzerland and getting caught talking on a mobile phone is a massive fine!

-GWB

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
There are requirements for driving in the EU; safely vests, spare bulbs, a warning triangle and (for France) breathalyzers for the driver and passenger. Further, NO SPEEDING in Switzerland and getting caught talking on a mobile phone is a massive fine!

-GWB

"safely vests." Hmm. I translate that as "first aid kits."

First I have heard about spare bulbs. Maybe that's for the Netherlands? If you're pulled over, you have to plant tulips?

Agree...Die Schweiz is as bad as Canada, eh? No fun allowed!

Last edited:

LOVE CHP

GT Owner
May 30, 2007
Central Calif.
Yes Ed, I was in on Bony's trip also. Love to see it happen! I'm in if it does! Even if I have to follow you and Ralphie!