Shim Kit

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
About a year ago someone mentioned that some body around here was milling shims for the GT's alignment since the GT tax was a bit steep. Any news on that?

New local owner is needing a full set for front and rear.

thanks

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
You might have just said "bigglie, bogglie, scroodle, boogie, bigglie" :biggrin

What are shims?

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
I believe he is referring to the alignment shims that are mounted between the control arms and the frame. They are machined to different thickness' so that you can dial in your alignment.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
I believe he is referring to the alignment shims that are mounted between the control arms and the frame. They are machined to different thickness' so that you can dial in your alignment.

BINGO! Give that man a quipee doll! :lol thought someone said somebody was doing aftermarket shims in kits. You need up to 5-6 pairs per corner ... depending on what setup you are running and at 18-25.00 a pair it gets nuts fast. especially since there is three different sizes ... so thats 18 pair sets a corner for a full kit. (if memory serves me correctly ...)

Not a big deal if your local source stocks them .. if they don't they usually want you to buy them when ordered.

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
Camber Shims

color coded for thickness. Two per wheel. 3 different thincknesses available through Ford, I believe. I have no data on thickness matched to color yet, but I can say there is a Red and a blue. And I can say I am after slightly more positive camber as my tires are cool on the outer edges after hot laps. Plan to talk it over with Rich and Denis in southern Maryland at the garage of PE2UNIA in a couple of weeks.

Pete S.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I stock a variety of them always have. We sell them in all sizes QTY 1

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
" cobrar1339 " aka Wally was working on some shim kits

Aug 25, 2006
There are 6 parts numbers and the shims are different for the front and the rear and yet they are available in the same red, blue, black for both ends of the gal

The sizes are as follows;

Front black = 2mm
Rear black = 4mm
Front blue = 3mm
Rear blue = 5mm
Front red = 4mm
Rear red = 6mm

I hope that this helps

Takes care

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC04182.JPG
    DSC04182.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 452

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
Thanks

For the color chart to size, Shadowman. So when a Red is in place, would you go up 1mm by changing to a blue and a black, or is Red the limit?

Or make a one piece and create a new color?

Pete S.

Aug 25, 2006
For the color chart to size, Shadowman. So when a Red is in place, would you go up 1mm by changing to a blue and a black, or is Red the limit?

Or make a one piece and create a new color?

Pete S.

Hi Pete

On the rear you can stack shims just verify that the bolt inserts far enough and then on the front for the same results you are removing thickness.

FYI: the combination that you shared will work fine.

If you create a stack that you are confident will remain then the idea of creating a solo shim would be easy enough .

Takes care

Shadowman

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
What are the dimensional differences between the front and rear shims?

Aug 25, 2006
What are the dimensional differences between the front and rear shims?

Different OD and ID

Front OD 23mm ID 10mm
Rear OD 20mm ID 8MM

Shadowman

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Different OD and ID

Front OD 23mm ID 10mm
Rear OD 20mm ID 8MM

Shadowman

Thanks! :thumbsup

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
I stock a variety of them always have. We sell them in all sizes QTY 1

P.M.Sent

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
GTSHIM01.jpg

Is this possible?

Pete S.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
The stock shims have 360 degrees of support a slotted shim has less engagement. Is this significant? I don't know, nor do I have the skills to analyze it. Therefore I will stick to the stock style shims to remove any doubts.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Pete, you need to send a PM to CobraR1939 (Wally). He comes up with some pretty trick items, but he hasn't been on the Forum much lately.

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
GTSHIM01.jpg

Is this possible?

Pete S.

Pete,
I have a wire edm in my shop which can easily create that design. Since with a wire edm you can easily stack the material up to 6" high I can produce large numbers without a problem and the stack can have different thicknesses.

John

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
I would like a set of these if you make them.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Sounds like Pete is going into the shim business! :thumbsup