Shifting difficulty…

05redrich

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
MA
I have always had the first to second shift issue and am very comfortable avoiding it. Lately I have noticed that it can be difficult to put the car into first (mostly while it is cold I think). What I mean is with the clutch fully depressed with the car at a stand still, there is resistance pushing into first gear. Once I get it there, and let up the clutch, everything engages just fine like always, no grinding no slipping no nothing.

I do not push through the resistance. To clear it I can usually shift forward and back from 3 to 4 a few times and it tends to remove the tension to get to first and it feels like normal again. It doesn’t happen every time, and it seems that it doesn’t happen when it is warm (though I need to pay more attention to that). When I am doing the 3 to 4 trick I will occasionally feel the resistance in other gears but I am certain that ONLY happens at a stand still as I have never had issues shifting while moving (other than the first to second).

So to me it seems like something in the linkage. Any one seen similar things (maybe on higher mile cars as mine has ~11k).

thanks,

rich

Aug 25, 2006
I have always had the first to second shift issue and am very comfortable avoiding it. Lately I have noticed that it can be difficult to put the car into first (mostly while it is cold I think). What I mean is with the clutch fully depressed with the car at a stand still, there is resistance pushing into first gear. Once I get it there, and let up the clutch, everything engages just fine like always, no grinding no slipping no nothing.

I do not push through the resistance. To clear it I can usually shift forward and back from 3 to 4 a few times and it tends to remove the tension to get to first and it feels like normal again. It doesn’t happen every time, and it seems that it doesn’t happen when it is warm (though I need to pay more attention to that). When I am doing the 3 to 4 trick I will occasionally feel the resistance in other gears but I am certain that ONLY happens at a stand still as I have never had issues shifting while moving (other than the first to second).

So to me it seems like something in the linkage. Any one seen similar things (maybe on higher mile cars as mine has ~11k).

thanks,

rich

Hi Rich

I do not necessarily have the very answer for your gal however as most have to experience the Ricardo transaxle like to be fully warm before she plays well.

The knotchiness (no such a word) in the lower gears is a well known character trait. The only issue that you share that leaves me a little concerned is the difficulty getting her into first gear when cold. Certainly others will have other opinions however if my gal I would likely bleed the clutch system and verify that you are getting full disengagement. The symptom shared resembles a clutch not fully released.

One way to verify this would be to roll the gal ever so slightly during the engagement process.

Please keep us posted.

All the best

Shadowman

05redrich

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
MA
Shadowman,

If I understand what you are saying, with the clutch fully depressed, and the resistance felt trying for first, roll the car forward to confirm that the clutch is full in (ugly sounds or chatter on the shifter if it is not). Not sure if I have inadvertently tried this or not from starting on a down hill, certainly don’t remember feeling it.

The felling I get is one of extreme ‘knotchiness’ (I like your word). I am sure I could push through it (and have on an occasion). That provided the same remedy as the 3 to 4 trick as things moved fine after, but is just wrong to do. When I get normal ‘knotchiness’ when cold into the low gears, I can often 3 to 4 a few times and clear it up at least for a bit in the same way. That is why it seems similar but more extreme.

thanks,

rich

Aug 25, 2006
Thank you for the reply

For my own peace of mind I would still bleed the system and then if nothing changes consider it normal and take a bit more time letting her get warmed up. In my case by the time I get my gal out and then through three gates on the property my gal is close to being happy

All the best

Shadowman

Shadowman,

If I understand what you are saying, with the clutch fully depressed, and the resistance felt trying for first, roll the car forward to confirm that the clutch is full in (ugly sounds or chatter on the shifter if it is not). Not sure if I have inadvertently tried this or not from starting on a down hill, certainly don’t remember feeling it.

The felling I get is one of extreme ‘knotchiness’ (I like your word). I am sure I could push through it (and have on an occasion). That provided the same remedy as the 3 to 4 trick as things moved fine after, but is just wrong to do. When I get normal ‘knotchiness’ when cold into the low gears, I can often 3 to 4 a few times and clear it up at least for a bit in the same way. That is why it seems similar but more extreme.

thanks,

rich

05redrich

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
MA
found this post by Jay:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11957&postcount=6

and after going out for a quick drive to test some of this out I found two things. Going to fifth (not third) as Jay describes makes it possible to shift to 1st. Second if I am on a down hill, and I let up on the break, it goes right into first with no grinding sound if I continue to roll or feel on the stick.

rich

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Make sure the clutch reservoir is full. The system may need to be bled.

glord

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Los Gatos California
Linkage Cables

You might have your dealer check the linkage cables under the center console. I had a "mushy" feel going into first gear. Turns out a couple of the retaining clips for the cables were broken.

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
rev the engine when it is cold , and it slides right into 1st

Last edited: