Shelby's connection to the GT

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Guys, does Shelby have any connection to the GT beyond his historic conneciton to the GT40?

I have a chance to have my visor signed by him for the GT. Is this worthwhile or out of place on the car???

Just wondering. :confused

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Yes, according to Larry Edsall.

Guys, does Shelby have any connection to the GT beyond his historic conneciton to the GT40?

I have a chance to have my visor signed by him for the GT. Is this worthwhile or out of place on the car???

He wrote "The Ford GT: The Legend Comes to Life".

Sheby was a consultant ("senior technical advisor") on the Petunia project. How much he actually did I don't know. In any event, I would want the man's signature on my car.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
In any event, I would want the man's signature on my car.

That's what it's all about.

I have three signatures on my car. Dan Gurney, Camilo Pardo, and Carol Shelby. Each one of these signatures I really wanted to have.

It is great that you are considering, before just slapping something on your car. Ultimately, though, just do it because you want to, not because of what others think or expect.

It is my understanding that Shelby's role with the GT is more significant than people know.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
IMO Shelby is as big a part of the current GT as anyone because of his deep involvement in the GT40, although Ford elected not to include him on the podium for the GT. I believe it was 1965 that Lee Iacocca turned the entire GT40 program over to Shelby. I also think he was as honored to be included in the Petersen Museum Event as we were to have him there. What an incredible guy.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
I agree with thinking about who you have sign your car. after a few hours thought I asked Steve Millen to sign my heritage. Not for what he did on the petunia project... but for what he is doing now and that he's out there running our series of Gt's adding to IT'S legend. I'm hopeful that Stillen (the company) will help all of us who want to race this car ... get it out there to make some history.

S

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Let us never forget that Ford Won LeMans when Carroll took over the GT-40 project! I know that when Edsel and Bill Ford were trying to come up with a car for Fords 100 Centennial Celebration Carroll was called and was a BIG BIG part of the decision for the GT. The man is ausum and we're very lucky he was able to attend our Dinner on Friday night. He told me "these are my kinda people and Cleo and I have enjoyed the evening".Tomy Hamon

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX

I sent my visor off to his Children's Foundation address along with a $200 donation. Got the signed visor back within 3 weeks along with a COA. Now I need to get Andretti's and Gurney's autographs. Foyt refused to sign my visor when he found out it was off a Ford GT. He's got some axe to grind with FoMoCo, even though he personally owns a GT. Camillo's autograph is also nice to have. The one rare autograph I have is Lloyd Ruby's. He's actually the 1st driver (along with Ken Miles, deceased) to win a race in a GT40. He won Daytona in '65 and '66, in addition to Sebring in the GTX-1 open topped car. Shelby's signature definitely fits in with the car.

AC

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
cool signatures

I would like to have those signatures on my GT also. So far I just have Bony's signature but that's cool also!

Ed

What exactly did that do to Bony's ego??

I had a panic attack after Camillo visibly signed our GTX1 without permission, but then I read they might fade and had a similar reaction. Which is worse??? Ack.... it just seems like Carrol's siggy is everywhere..

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ed, you are also graced with my signature on your fire suppression system! Look for the For Sale sign too! Nice to meet your wife. Frank