Shelby Super Snake... To Buy Or Not To Buy?

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Hello All:

I need advice/input. I received a call today from Shelby Automotive to inform me that my number has come-up and I’m good-to-go for a Super Snake. The cost is $28K after I’ve supplied a GT500. They haven’t capped the number of cars to be produced as yet. HP is 600 on coupe or vert with a 720 hp option (coupe only) for the same cost but it’s without a warrantee.

Questions:
Do I buy… is this pretty good value or will they make too many? What is the number of cars produced that would be too many and drive down future value?
Coupe or vert?
If coupe 600 or 720hp
What color (stripe is mandatory and only comes in matte black)?

Any insights would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Attachments

• SuperSnake.JPG
    SuperSnake.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
They called me yesterday also. They are supposed to produce fewer than the KRs. I heard the dealers were asking 125 for the KRs. The SS will kill any stock KR. I haven't called them back yet. I wanted to wait for the GT500s to drop to sticker and pick up an 08. I heard the tune and suspension was better in the 08. Both will probably be replaced with the Super Snake mod.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Buy the current issue (September) of Octaine magazine and read Carroll's comments.
Page 55. He states 6000 Sheby GT's, discussing upgrades to 725hp. Plans to build 1000 KR's. If you want one, buy it, if you think it will be an investment, I hate to tell you, "no way jose".

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
But that bad boy. They are re-stlying the next generation stang and these will be the only ones with that '68 BOSS, CJ, Mach styling and power to match.

Some Hemi Cuda vert buyers had this same dilemna in 1970.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Buy the current issue (September) of Octaine magazine and read Carroll's comments.
Page 55. He states 6000 Sheby GT's, discussing upgrades to 725hp. Plans to build 1000 KR's. If you want one, buy it, if you think it will be an investment, I hate to tell you, "no way jose".

Daniel,

Thanks for the input. It’s very helpful. I’m not one to ever consider cars as investments. If I buy the Super Snake, unlike my GT, I’ll almost certainly sell it at some point. With this in mind I really loath buying cars with significant anticipated depreciation. For me it makes the period of ownership somehow less enjoyable.

Thanks again for the input.

Rob

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
If you want one, buy it, if you think it will be an investment, I hate to tell you, "no way jose".

Bony, I disagree! It is an investment for the soul! :wink

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
They called me yesterday also. They are supposed to produce fewer than the KRs. I heard the dealers were asking 125 for the KRs. The SS will kill any stock KR. I haven't called them back yet. I wanted to wait for the GT500s to drop to sticker and pick up an 08. I heard the tune and suspension was better in the 08. Both will probably be replaced with the Super Snake mod.

Got a call from Shelby today also. I am debating what to send them...but, what do you guys think of a KR with the Super Snake package? how many of those will be made? For collectability sake, what could be more rare?

Gino

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Buy it because you have Blue Oval blood in your heart. Not for financial gains.

Our FGT's would be crashing in value if there would be a successor on the horizon.

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Mine is going because I like the look, (White/Black Stripes) and I want to see what Shelby can do. As far as Shelby Mustangs go why not drive one of the top of the breed. Confirmed #45.:thumbsup

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Do I buy… is this pretty good value or will they make too many? What is the number of cars produced that would be too many and drive down future value?

After discussing this with other forum members, we came to the conclusion that there will always be another upgrade. Super Snake. Mongoose. Mongoose Biter, etc.

It is not limited enough for investment reason - always an upgrade. Buy it if you want it - loose money if you don't.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Hello All:

I need advice/input. I received a call today from Shelby Automotive to inform me that my number has come-up and I’m good-to-go for a Super Snake. The cost is $28K after I’ve supplied a GT500. They haven’t capped the number of cars to be produced as yet. HP is 600 on coupe or vert with a 720 hp option (coupe only) for the same cost but it’s without a warrantee.

Questions:
Coupe or vert?
If coupe 600 or 720hp
What color (stripe is mandatory and only comes in matte black)?

Any insights would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob, I just lead a tour through Shelby last week, and have a red GT500. Your stripes will definitely be Black, no other choice. Numbers at this time will not be capped, yet this is still undetermined based on capacity. If you live in the East, they are seriously considering and are close to setting up one of their dealers in the East as an official installation point to make room for the work they do on Las Vegas. I am still waiting to learn more before I commit. I may even do the suspension and add a Kenne Bell for about $10,000, get the same results, but no "Super Snake" designation. It's a tough call.

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Bony, I disagree! It is an investment for the soul! :wink

I have to say it sure beats the hell out of the current stock market conditions!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Tim,
Interesting to see how the market might impact the Monterey car auctions this weekend.
Cheers,
Daniel

cmoody32

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 8, 2006
When will people learn that traditional market investing is a roller coaster. There are always cycles. There are ups and downs. Everyone has been spoiled of late and they think that markets only go up. It amazes me how quickly people forget that markets can and will go down.

Bony, I think you may be right about Monterey, but all it takes is two bidders with egos to make high price even higher.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Rob, I just lead a tour through Shelby last week, and have a red GT500. Your stripes will definitely be Black, no other choice. Numbers at this time will not be capped, yet this is still undetermined based on capacity. If you live in the East, they are seriously considering and are close to setting up one of their dealers in the East as an official installation point to make room for the work they do on Las Vegas. I am still waiting to learn more before I commit. I may even do the suspension and add a Kenne Bell for about $10,000, get the same results, but no "Super Snake" designation. It's a tough call.

Tim,

Thanks for the input and please let me know if you pull the trigger on the Shelby.

Cheers,

Rob

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Tim,
Interesting to see how the market might impact the Monterey car auctions this weekend.
Cheers,
Daniel

Your right, it will be interesting. However I sold a Ferrari today only after listing it two days ago. I got the full price I was asking with no haggling! Go figure?!?

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
Your right, it will be interesting. However I sold a Ferrari today only after listing it two days ago. I got the full price I was asking with no haggling! Go figure?!?

Tim are you cleaning out the garage for another gt? :thumbsup :thumbsup :willy

dgussin1

Jul 6, 2006
Chicago, Il
As Tim mentioned, build your own car. With much less money spent you will have a better performer (coil over suspension and over 800 bhp) and a custom build.

KB 6K
suspension 4K
wheels 4K
brakes 2K
body/paint upgrades 3K
nav/interior dress up 2K

21K and you have a very complete car, inside to out.

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Tim are you cleaning out the garage for another gt? :thumbsup :thumbsup :willy

My goal is to own EVERY GT in existence. World domination I tell you!!! (Evil laugh deleted):banana

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
As Tim mentioned, build your own car. With much less money spent you will have a better performer (coil over suspension and over 800 bhp) and a custom build.

KB 6K
suspension 4K
wheels 4K
brakes 2K
body/paint upgrades 3K
nav/interior dress up 2K

21K and you have a very complete car, inside to out.

You've done the same economic analysis I have! I agree. I could forget the paid and nav, and focus only on performace, and save myself another $5K.