Shelby selling GT40's

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
The teams did not take into consideration that it was the distance travelled (McLaren was further back in the staring grid) when they went for the 'photo op' of all three crossing together. Thus the black GT of McLaren's didn't have to cross the line first to have travelled farther. I believe you are just mis-understanding the explanation.

I believe the 'distance' theme was already in the 'rule book', though that shouldn't take away from the understanding that the French would make up rules as they went along. Colin Chapman refused to return after a particularly difficult scrutineering one year.

BTW - the 'Heritage or Gulf' colors refer to the final 2 wins of the Ford GT40 while under John Wyer Team management and Gulf Oil sponsorship. 'Heritage' does not refer to the Mark II's.

I have always been entrigged by the Ford Racing History in the 60's from the Cobra's, GT40's to the Mustangs etc..

This site from the UK seems really comprehensive on the GT40 Lemans History. It lists all cars and numbers and drivers from 1964-1969, very detailed information.

http://www.gt40.org.uk/Le Mans/index.html

Last edited:

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
For my b-day a couple of years ago, a good friend gave me several GT40 books with fascinating history on these cars! :wink It's been awhile since I've read them & really enjoy reading posts about the history of these cars as it freshens my memory. Perhaps someone can clarify something for me...

You know how many races use qualifying times to determine what order you will start? I had thought w/LeMans 24 hr that your earlier races for the year (ie, how you placed at Sebring, Spa, Ring, etc) determined how close you were to the front at LeMans. In other words, those at the front "earned" a better position and had a better chance at winning first all other things equal. From these posts it sounds like I am wrong.

If place order (1st place, 2nd, etc) is determined by who drove the furthest distance by the time the first car crossed the finish line, no one starts w/an advantage. Is that the way they race?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
always good to have a few pals here and there :)

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
always good to have a few pals here and there :)

You're the best Dani! :cheers

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
SR71,

I imagine you go to all the car shows in and around Calgary. Have you ever seen an Orange 1968 Shelby GT350 at one of those shows? A fellow Shelby enthusiast has dedicated a lot of time to tracking these "special paint cars" down for the next Shelby Registry. He has found 15 of the 16 cars and someone snapped this photo of this Orange Shelby in September at the "bubble gum" car show in Calgary.

http://flickr.com/photos/sherlock77/1324540895/

Just trying to track down the owner to get the car in the registry. We have tried all the car clubs etc...

Here is some great history on the Shelby Special Paint cars of 1968:

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/SPECIALS.HTML

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
For my b-day a couple of years ago, a good friend gave me several GT40 books with fascinating history on these cars! :wink It's been awhile since I've read them & really enjoy reading posts about the history of these cars as it freshens my memory. Perhaps someone can clarify something for me...

You know how many races use qualifying times to determine what order you will start? I had thought w/LeMans 24 hr that your earlier races for the year (ie, how you placed at Sebring, Spa, Ring, etc) determined how close you were to the front at LeMans. In other words, those at the front "earned" a better position and had a better chance at winning first all other things equal. From these posts it sounds like I am wrong.

If place order (1st place, 2nd, etc) is determined by who drove the furthest distance by the time the first car crossed the finish line, no one starts w/an advantage. Is that the way they race?

I think this refers to the Lemans start. A driver in the front drives a shorter distance throughout the race than someone that starts 200 feet back. You should be able to see a picture of the lemans start from back then. The cars were lined up across the track from the drivers. The doors were open and the cars were off. When the starter signaled the start (with a starters pistol if I remember correctly) The drivers ran to their cars, got in, strapped in, started their cars, closed the door and took off.

This is why the Ford 123 finish had to be flip flopped. The driver that crossed second, but only a few feet behind the first place car started far enough back in the field to have traveled a further distance in the 24 hour run.