Shelby selling GT40's

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Shelby Auto is selling special GT40's for his 85th birthday. 85 cars of each of the three winning colors will be made (add says heritaqge, red, black). Rollers in either street or race version, can fit 427. See the Shelby website.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
How about a link big guy ???

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Shelby Commemorative GT40s

Gentlemen,

One of these cars, the Ken Miles pale blue replica was on display at Barrett Jackson this year. It was absolutely stunning. These are Superformance GT40s specked out by Shelby and built with right-hand drive. They are set up to take the Shelby aluminum block 427 FE engine. They can be ordered either through a Superformance dealer or directly from Shelby automobiles in Las Vegas. There is a tremendous price premium for one of these cars over and above the cost of the Superformance GT40 which can be built, right-hand drive and all, nearly identical to the Shelby cars minus the Shelby signatures on parts like the headlight lenses. Like the new Shelby Cobras you must take delivery of these cars minus the engine and transmission as they obviously don't meet 2008 new car requirements. Here's the link you asked for.

http://www.shelbydistributionusa.com/commorative.htm

Chip

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
............. Here's the link you asked for.

http://www.shelbydistributionusa.com/commorative.htm

Chip

The pictures they use on the Shelby site sure look like they came from the Exoto GT40 Mk II diecast advertising - http://www02.exoto.com/Collectibles/index.asp

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Thanks for link Chip. Didn't have it handy when I posted. Sorry Stormy, I'll try to be more complete next time (please notice my sincereness so I don't get pushed down the bottle holder list).

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
The pictures they use on the Shelby site sure look like they came from the Exoto GT40 Mk II diecast advertising - http://www02.exoto.com/Collectibles/index.asp

Yes, isn't it odd that these models would be used on the Shelby site?

Mark IV

Sep 8, 2007
Western New York
:biggrinModels work quite well when you have no real cars to photograph! I find it quite amusing that CS ranted a couple months ago in the July 2007 issue of OCTANE that there is "no such thing as a 'GT40', it was always the Ford GT and the English press made up the "GT40" title" and here he is selling them? Of course the Ford press releases and parts manual with "GT40" in them is of course, wrong, as well as the fact they cast "GT40" into several components................this was just the doing of the English press!:bs

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Gentlemen,

One of these cars, the Ken Miles pale blue replica was on display at Barrett Jackson this year. It was absolutely stunning.

img2469nl8.jpg

It was a nice looking car. Too bad they wouldn't take the wife's Freestyle in on trade.

Best Regards,
Waldo

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Mark Gerisch had the opportunity to do this with commemorative Shelby Ford GT and Shelby Ford GTX1 Editions but couldn't pull it off. The Superformance GT40 is a very exacting replica and good product. My guess is they will sell a lot of these regardless of price. :cheers

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
GT40's are nice...but the FGT's are "nicer" 'far as I'm concerned.

C.P. really hit the mark with the subtle changes he made to the "origional".

'Just MHO.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
img2469nl8.jpg

It was a nice looking car. Too bad they wouldn't take the wife's Freestyle in on trade.

Best Regards,
Waldo

What a beauty! :thumbsup

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Garage Art.

img2469nl8.jpg

Best Regards,
Waldo

Attaboy Waldo!! I did not have my camera available to take a photo but even if I did it wouldn't be as nice as the one you display here. The car is so beautiful it could be purchased and put on display up on a lift in one's garage without even bothering to put in the engine and transmission!! Just to look at it every morning before you crawl into your daily driver and head off to work! :thumbsup

Chip

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Kirby, they might sell all of them, but not a lot. Only 85 in each color to match Mr. Shleby's age.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Actually Frank, I was thinking "a lot" would be some number less than 85 of each color. :cheers

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
I'm confused. All the photos I have seen of the 1966 Lemans finish show a black GT40 (ironically bearing the #2) as first across the line, followed by the blue/orange gulf GT40 (ironically bearing the number 1), with a gold GT40 #5 in third. Now here is a quote from Carroll Shelby himself as written in the forward to Larry Edsall's book -Ford GT the Legend Comes to Life---"Ken's car was leading the race by a couple of laps when we in all our wisdom at Ford Motor Company said that we should have all three of the cars cross the finish line together. So Ken was told to slow so the others could catch up, and then the officials at LeMans made up a rule that gave the victory not to Ken and Denis Hulme but to the car that had covered the most distance since the start because it had started farther back on the grid. That was fine because Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon were wonderful people, but Ken really deserved that victory, and he wouldn't get another opportunity because he died in a crash during testing a few weeks later."
This would mean Bruce McLaren driving Gulf colors bearing #1 ,second across the line awarded the 1966 win, Co-driver, Chris Amon.
Ken Miles driving black GT40 bearing #2 , given second place (although first across the line), co-driver Denis Hulme. team Shelby.
I've seen a number of sights which put Ken in the Heritage colors, but we know that the heritage won, and that the win team was McLaren/Amon.
Or does someone know something I don't? What a fascinating history this car has.

Last edited:

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
Incidentally for history buffs the third place car was the Holman & Moody team with Ronnie Bucknum and Dick Hutcherson driving the gold car bearing #5.

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
I also saw them all at Barrett Jackson and I agree they look awesome and I like their smaller size better than the new cars as well. That being said however I think the interiors need some better quality material and more detail. If you look at an ERA replica they are totally superior in every way! I researched the GT40 replica's before Ford announced our GT's and was ready to buy one and the ERA was just unreal quality and attention to detail. The Cav's or Superformance or whatever name they go by now are good cars, and I would like to have one myself, but they want as much for one of those as they do the New Ford GT. To me thats a joke and not a very good one, I would say for under a 100k, like around 80 to 85k they aren't a bad deal IMO and thats about what you can find used ones for as I have found recently.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I'm confused. All the photos I have seen of the 1966 Lemans finish show a black GT40 (ironically bearing the #2) as first across the line, followed by the blue/orange gulf GT40 (ironically bearing the number 1), with a gold GT40 #5 in third. Now here is a quote from Carroll Shelby himself as written in the forward to Larry Edsall's book -Ford GT the Legend Comes to Life---"Ken's car was leading the race by a couple of laps when we in all our wisdom at Ford Motor Company said that we should have all three of the cars cross the finish line together. So Ken was told to slow so the others could catch up, and then the officials at LeMans made up a rule that gave the victory not to Ken and Denis Hulme but to the car that had covered the most distance since the start because it had started farther back on the grid. That was fine because Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon were wonderful people, but Ken really deserved that victory, and he wouldn't get another opportunity because he died in a crash during testing a few weeks later."
This would mean Bruce McLaren driving Gulf colors bearing #1 ,second across the line awarded the 1966 win, Co-driver, Chris Amon.
Ken Miles driving black GT40 bearing #2 , given second place (although first across the line), co-driver Denis Hulme. team Shelby.
I've seen a number of sights which put Ken in the Heritage colors, but we know that the heritage won, and that the win team was McLaren/Amon.
Or does someone know something I don't? What a fascinating history this car has.

The teams did not take into consideration that it was the distance travelled (McLaren was further back in the staring grid) when they went for the 'photo op' of all three crossing together. Thus the black GT of McLaren's didn't have to cross the line first to have travelled farther. I believe you are just mis-understanding the explanation.

I believe the 'distance' theme was already in the 'rule book', though that shouldn't take away from the understanding that the French would make up rules as they went along. Colin Chapman refused to return after a particularly difficult scrutineering one year.

BTW - the 'Heritage or Gulf' colors refer to the final 2 wins of the Ford GT40 while under John Wyer Team management and Gulf Oil sponsorship. 'Heritage' does not refer to the Mark II's.

Last edited:

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
If you speak German utube has a video of the 66 race "Ford GT40 Le Mans 1966" poor video quality, poor sound, but still wow. Still looking for one in English

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
I stand corrected based on some info from wikipedia "1966 24 hours of Le Mans"
McLaren in black to win. An interesting read. and I hadn't known that the "heritage" colors were based on the later wins under the John Wyer team. Thank you. The history sure does add another dimension to the fun of owning this car! :cheers