Los Angeles
:cheers to the cobraman !

So I think we have run this thread to death, everyone agree ? :willy

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
naw.... this could just be the start :cheers :thumbsup :cheers of the real (not clone or replica) fun :biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Oh by the way, the Superformance GT will now be called the GT40 and will continue with the production numbers that the originals left off with. Guess our Ford GT's will be called fakey do's :bs :bs :bs :slap :eek :eek

Cobraman

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
I like Bony's attitude. This reminds me of something on the funny side. My buddy is in a local club where members all have replica Cobras of different makes. My friend with the Superformance said they would consider me for membership, but since I have an original, they'll really have to give it some thought! Glad they're so accommodating! :banana

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Cobraman said:
I like Bony's attitude. This reminds me of something on the funny side. My buddy is in a local club where members all have replica Cobras of different makes. My friend with the Superformance said they would consider me for membership, but since I have an original, they'll really have to give it some thought! Glad they're so accommodating! :banana

:biggrin The funny thing in the Cobra world is the owners of real/original CSX 2000 and CSX 3000 (and not the five completion cars :wink ) are a mellow group. SAAC invites all Ford powered cars to our events (and even the Olds powered Series 1).

I have owned two replicas (Contemporary= best of show at Knotts and ERA 535) and several 'real' Cobras. The hurtfull remarks from the replica owners about the real CSX cars and other replicas is the main reason I sold my last replica. That and the California DMV making it impossible to register.

Most real CSX owners appreciate that the interest in replicas has pushed the value of the original cars up.

Can't figure it out, but accept it. :bs

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
bony

I had a replica, LA Exotics, made in La Habra, just west of Knott's Berry Farm, went out there every week to see it made, actually had two made exact same color, one for a pal and myself, dropped $35K into it. Made Kit Car Magazine. but the quality was not there, the car was a frame with a fiberglass shell, and that was it. Sold it in 2001 for $25K, bought an 01 Viper GTS. Still have the Viper but glad I am rid of the Cobra. Great looking car but no quality, but that was LA Exotics, not SF or ERA or Factory Five. Had the car in for some work one day, called by the local foreman and told to come get the car within the next 3 hours because the police were coming to lock the place up for bankruptcy. Owner was a guy from China named Chun Tam who had not paid a guy named Brian Anderson who previously owned the company rent for at least a year or two. So, I had had enough experience with kit cars, but was able to register the car as a 1965 Ford in California, there are ways to get the registration done. Apparently 500 registrations a year are available to custom built cars, smog free status from State of California.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
AtomicGT said:
bony

I had a replica, LA Exotics, made in La Habra, just west of Knott's Berry Farm, went out there every week to see it made, actually had two made exact same color, one for a pal and myself, dropped $35K into it. Made Kit Car Magazine. but the quality was not there, the car was a frame with a fiberglass shell, and that was it. Sold it in 2001 for $25K, bought an 01 Viper GTS. Still have the Viper but glad I am rid of the Cobra. Great looking car but no quality, but that was LA Exotics, not SF or ERA or Factory Five. Had the car in for some work one day, called by the local foreman and told to come get the car within the next 3 hours because the police were coming to lock the place up for bankruptcy. Owner was a guy from China named Chun Tam who had not paid a guy named Brian Anderson who previously owned the company rent for at least a year or two. So, I had had enough experience with kit cars, but was able to register the car as a 1965 Ford in California, there are ways to get the registration done. Apparently 500 registrations a year are available to custom built cars, smog free status from State of California.

Sb1578 - the 500 exempt cars from smog in California means that 500 cars are registered the first business day of the year by the DMV. 500 cars in a state where there are 30 million people is absurd. The other way to be exempt is to register by year of the block but all the smog equipment must be on the vehicle that was installed on the block when the engine was built.
No problem for a '65 or earlier block.

All kits are as good as their builders. I have seen ERA's and Factory Fives that are better than our Ford GT's and I have seen death traps. Obviously the kits and rollers (Superformance, - Backdraft) don't have modern safety equipment like out Ford Gt's.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
bony,

yer getting pretty cose to 1000 posts ! :cheers