Shelby selling GT40 replicas now

bitzman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 7, 2005
Shelby is advertising replica GT40s now. You might ask why doesn't he sell Ford GTs but he is not a Ford dealer so isn't qualified. He one time tried to get a deal with a firm called CAV but these are made by Superformance in South Africa. Do not know engine, transaxle, brakes. Wonder what Ford thinks of him selling his own GT40 kit car when they are still marketing the last of the new Ford GTs. Maybe they figure the replica market is far from the same market. Shelby also sells Pete Brock's replica of the Cobra Daytona though the new one is bigger than the old one with a larger engine. Only it's not called the Brock coupe anymore. Over 100 were sold as the Brock coupe. Brock is now married to a Microsoft employee living up in Seattle, maybe he can get a MS executive to bankroll some future project...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
thats 100% correct, the Superformance Cobra, Daytona and GT40 all will be eligible for the SAAC registry.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Peter Brock

FYI to all - It's Peter Brock. No longer Pete.

He's a commercial photographer living in Redmond, Wa.

Not sure of his martial status. Bill has 23,000 employees at headquarters. He's building a new campus for an addtional 15,000. Lots of people are married to Softee's.

He attends some of the local vintage race events from time to time. One of his motto's is "510's Forever". Mine too. Really a nice fellow to talk with.

Doc

Huge ****ing Crybaby
May 15, 2006
Peter Brock is married to a wonderful lady. He helped Superformance design their Daytona Coupe.

Here is the Daytona Coupe:
PB

Mr. Brock and his car:
Peter.jpg

Last edited:

ART T

GT Owner
Nov 21, 2005
Healdsburg, CA,
I have been very impressed with the Superformance Daytona Coupe I have seen....If the GT40 is anywhere as well built, it will be a success.

Mistress.....May I have another?

Art T. :thumbsup

Vic

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2005
The OC
http://www.superformance.com/gt40.aspx

Maybe the FIA or Mk1 versions will look better.
This one is too "busy", with all those scoops, and that kit-car-looking rear end. (GT owners, don't forget to thank Camilo for his sense of aesthetics!)

Last edited:

TCT

Apr 24, 2006
ERA makes a better GT40 repica than superperformance imo.

http://www.erareplicas.com

top.jpg

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Vic said:
http://www.superformance.com/gt40.aspx

Maybe the FIA or Mk1 versions will look better.
This one is too "busy", with all those scoops, and that kit-car-looking rear end. (GT owners, don't forget to thank Camilo for his sense of aesthetics!)

The scoops are 100% correct, and may be removed. This is the closest example of a clone yet. My problem is I can't fit in an original.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Toby said:
ERA makes a better GT40 repica than superperformance imo.

http://www.erareplicas.com

top.jpg

Bob Putnam builds 2 GT's a year, the waiting list is 3 years out. The big block version can't accomodate a/c. Nice cars, but Superformance will dominate the market with their dealer set up, and California legal motors that Roush sources.

Superformance (correct spelling) sells rollers, just add the motor and transaxle and their dealers will do a sano install. ERA sells kits, some come out looking like the high school wood shop assembled them, and some look terrific.

Daniel S. Bonyhadi
former owner ERA535

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
bony said:
Bob Putnam builds 2 GT's a year, the waiting list is 3 years out. The big block version can't accomodate a/c. Nice cars, but Superformance will dominate the market with their dealer set up, and California legal motors that Roush sources.

Superformance (correct spelling) sells rollers, just add the motor and transaxle and their dealers will do a sano install. ERA sells kits, some come out looking like the high school wood shop assembled them, and some look terrific.

Daniel S. Bonyhadi
former owner ERA535

Very true Daniel. Don't need the BB with the Roush 351 bored and stroked to 427. I own a Superformance Cobra with the 427 Roush and a Tremac 3550 true 5-speed (no overdrive). Wouldn't trade it for the world. The only way I can see the sense in doing an ERA is if you have the time, space and knowledge to want to build it yourself.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Replicas are replicas, no matter how you shine it, they are not the real thing. Superformance is fine but it is a replica, period. I had a cobra replica, nice car, lots of fun to drive, I would give the impression it was a real cobra, but it wasn't a real cobra, same with all the others. You are either a replica person or you pay for the quality of an original.

Fortunately for Superformance, there are a lot of Americans who are replica people and will pay less to think they are driving the real thing!

You buy a cobra from Shelby,that is a Cobra, you buy a cobra replica from Superformance, it is a Superformance replica. No two ways about it, it is a replica.

Last edited:

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
AtomicGT said:
Replicas are replicas, no matter how you shine it, they are not the real thing. Superformance is fine but it is a replica, period. I had a cobra replica, nice car, lots of fun to drive, I would give the impression it was a real cobra, but it wasn't a real cobra, same with all the others. You are either a replica person or you pay for the quality of an original.

Fortunately for Superformance, there are a lot of Americans who are replica people and will pay less to think they are driving the real thing!

You buy a cobra from Shelby,that is a Cobra, you buy a cobra replica from Superformance, it is a Superformance replica. No two ways about it, it is a replica.

The only real Cobras out there are the ones from the 60's, and even if you could find one not many of us could afford it. Forget the 4000 CSX continuation series cars. Where are they being built now, Mexico, Poland,
Vegas somewhere! Have you seen the value of a CSX drop like rock the last year or two? I had a chance to buy a CSX car before I bought my SF car, no comparison. The quality of the SF car exceeds the CSX by far. I personally don't think "I'm driving the real thing" when I take out my Cobra. It's just alot of bang for the buck, especially when comparing to a CSX car. I'm not quite sure where you are going with this and I don't know what kind of replica you had, but aside from a Kirkham, SF is the only replica I would touch, period!!!

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
AtomicGT said:
...there are a lot of Americans who are replica people and will pay less to think they are driving the real thing!...

You are so far off on this thought that I don't know where to begin. EVERY replica owner I know thinks nothing of the kind. Most of the people that think this way are the ones that bought the new Shelby replicas (of the originals) and delude themselves that their cars are better because Shelby stamped his name on the car.

Doc

Huge ****ing Crybaby
May 15, 2006
Bart Carter said:
(off-topic, sorry)
Hey Bart,
I assume you are also looking for a Ford GT?
Doc
C-C.com member
(95CobraR)

Last edited:

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Bart Carter said:
You are so far off on this thought that I don't know where to begin. EVERY replica owner I know thinks nothing of the kind. Most of the people that think this way are the ones that bought the new Shelby replicas (of the originals) and delude themselves that their cars are better because Shelby stamped his name on the car.

Well said Bart. You got my point across better than I did!!!

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Well, I distinctly was not trying to rustle the hen house and insult replica owners, and some of your points may be correct. The bottom line is Shelby won the legal ownership rights to the name "Cobra", he made the original cobras at his factory at the south end of LAX, he makes his cobras today at Shelby American in Las Vegas. He was the final creator of the cobra from the 60s using Auto Couriers "AC" Ace bodies and Ford Engines. When Bristol ceased building their 6-cylinder engine in 1961 the owner, Charles Hurlock, was approached by Carroll Shelby to use a Ford V8 in the Ace chassis, producing the AC Cobra in 1962. Shelby American modified the Ace bodies to create the S/C 427 cobra. Shelby cobras are not made in Provo, Utah, an abandoned aircraft hangar in Poland, LA, South Africa, Conecticutt by ERA, Factory Five, or Superformance etc. they are made by Shelby American in Las Vegas. That is life. So if you buy a CSX 4000 series or CSX7000 series cobra from Shelby, made at Shelby American in Las Vegas, it is a cobra. You by from anywhere else, it is not a cobra, it is a kit car with you choice of engine. Make sure you check the latest adds by these replica companies, they do not use the name 'Cobra" in the adds, i.e Shelby's upholding of the "Cobra" name by US copyright laws!

So impassioned responses indicating the superior quality of your replicas are fine, they still are not cobras and every cobra replica owner I ever met, wanted to be an original cobra owner, but the price and availability were out of reach. So they settled for a replica. Same scenario exists for the GT. Shelby's GT40 is a Shelby GT40, not a Ford GT or a Ford GT40. I do not believe that any replica car company has the resources and manufacturing capabilities to rival the quality and technology found in the Ford GT. Same argument applies to any GT replica. Now if you want to settle for something similar to the original 66-69 GT40s, then you may get close with one of these replica car companies and it will probably handle like a 60s GT. Remember, Ford got the Lola GT body (designed by Edward Broadley) to make the GT40 in the first two years of production. But if you want an 05-06 Ford GT, it will be a big difference in $$$, which is the bottom line for this whole discussion anyway!

:cheers

Last edited:

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
Doc said:
(off-topic, sorry)
Hey Bart,
I assume you are also looking for a Ford GT?
Doc
C-C.com member
(95CobraR)

Doc,

Spec'd mine and should take delivery sometime in July. :biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
AtomicGT said:
Well, I distinctly was not trying to rustle the hen house and insult replica owners, and some of your points may be correct. The bottom line is Shelby won the legal ownership rights to the name "Cobra", he made the original cobras at his factory at the south end of LAX, he makes his cobras today at Shelby American in Las Vegas. He was the final creator of the cobra from the 60s using Auto Couriers "AC" Ace bodies and Ford Engines. When Bristol ceased building their 6-cylinder engine in 1961 the owner, Charles Hurlock, was approached by Carroll Shelby to use a Ford V8 in the Ace chassis, producing the AC Cobra in 1962. Shelby American modified the Ace bodies to create the S/C 427 cobra. Shelby cobras are not made in Provo, Utah, an abandoned aircraft hangar in Poland, LA, South Africa, Conecticutt by ERA, Factory Five, or Superformance etc. they are made by Shelby American in Las Vegas. That is life. So if you buy a CSX 4000 series or CSX7000 series cobra from Shelby, made at Shelby American in Las Vegas, it is a cobra. You by from anywhere else, it is not a cobra, it is a kit car with you choice of engine. Make sure you check the latest adds by these replica companies, they do not use the name 'Cobra" in the adds, i.e Shelby's upholding of the "Cobra" name by US copyright laws!

So impassioned responses indicating the superior quality of your replicas are fine, they still are not cobras and every cobra replica owner I ever met, wanted to be an original cobra owner, but the price and availability were out of reach. So they settled for a replica. Same scenario exists for the GT. Shelby's GT40 is a Shelby GT40, not a Ford GT or a Ford GT40. I do not believe that any replica car company has the resources and manufacturing capabilities to rival the quality and technology found in the Ford GT. Same argument applies to any GT replica. Now if you want to settle for something similar to the original 66-69 GT40s, then you may get close with one of these replica car companies and it will probably handle like a 60s GT. Remember, Ford got the Lola GT body (designed by Edward Broadley) to make the GT40 in the first two years of production. But if you want an 05-06 Ford GT, it will be a big difference in $$$, which is the bottom line for this whole discussion anyway!

:cheers

Your facts are off base. Shelby Automobiles does not build cars in Vegas. They have purchased aluminum bodies from Kimmens and Kirkham, they have had cars build in the Neveda prisons, in Mexico and were at one time assembling cars in Vegas. Now Vegas is doing Mustang conversions.

Newsflash, Shelby went to bed with SUPERFORMANCE and all Shelby and Superformance dealers are selling both brands. The Superfromance cars will appear is the SAAC registry. The CSX tuperware 4000 series cars will be now built in Jim Price's Superformance factory. The Hatfields and McCoys have made peace and now are making love. Carroll Shelby is the world's greatest promoter and my hero!

Superformance never sold kits, they sold rollers (no power train) all the other companies that sold Cobra knock offs sold kits. The quality of any kit is as good as the builder's workmanship.

Original Cobras are the CSX 2000 and CSX 3000 but not the continuation series of the CSX 3000 which were started by McKluskey.

Regarding who makes the best fakey-do - counterfits - replicas I have an idea but won't disclose. Duck and cover, incoming.... :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop I am pouring me a cold one, enjoying the popcorn while you guys decide. :lol :lol :lol

Last edited:

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
bony,

I guess what is apperance is not reality. I acknowledge your inner info line! Globalization of trade has come to the Cobra, would you have ever thought? One thing Shelby does is make deals, and you are right, Superformance now has "endorsed by Carroll Shelby" on their adds. They are rollers and not kits built from scratch or assembled in on'es garage. They are better than any 1960s cobra. But, my point was more towards the Shelby GT40, which may be a good auto, but it doesn't have a prayer against the technology of a Ford GT. So if you buy a Shelby GT40, that's what it is a Shelby GT40 and not anything like a 05-06 Ford GT.

I hear Shelby is building 200 GT500s for Hertz! Deja Vu all over again! Do you think they will be black and gold or green and gold? Only for Hertz, these are Mustang GTs that Shelby is converting to GT500s.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
AtomicGT said:
bony,

I guess what is apperance is not reality. I acknowledge your inner info line! Globalization of trade has come to the Cobra, would you have ever thought? One thing Shelby does is make deals, and you are right, Superformance now has "endorsed by Carroll Shelby" on their adds. They are rollers and not kits built from scratch or assembled in on'es garage. They are better than any 1960s cobra. But, my point was more towards the Shelby GT40, which may be a good auto, but it doesn't have a prayer against the technology of a Ford GT. So if you buy a Shelby GT40, that's what it is a Shelby GT40 and not anything like a 05-06 Ford GT.

I hear Shelby is building 200 GT500s for Hertz! Deja Vu all over again! Do you think they will be black and gold or green and gold? Only for Hertz, these are Mustang GTs that Shelby is converting to GT500s.

Greetings:

1. I posted a commercial Hertz is running showing Carroll in the new rent-a-racer.

2. No doubt a modern GT will eat the lunch of an original.

3. Personally I can't fit in an original or replica of an original. But I love the lines and look as much as my own new GT.

4. The topic whose Cobra replica is the best is a sure bar fight starter.

Cheers,
daniel