Shelby GT 500

oceanside gt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Oceanside, CA
Hey guys. The dealer I purchased my GT from called me a couple of days ago to let me know they just received a Red GT 500 hardtop. Only item it seems to be missing is the navigation system. I had advised them when I picked up my GT last year that I was very interested in the GT 500. They let me know when their first GT 500 came in and informed me they wanted no less than $30K over the sticker! I declined their generous offer.
Their latest offer is just under $55K out the door, or $5K over the sticker. I checked the dealers in my area, San Diego, and there are three in the on various lots ranging from $20 to $40K over the sticker.
I'm debating what to do. I get the feeling the price is going to drop later this year or next.
Anyone have an opinion?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
sticker and not a penny more.

scylla6

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2006
I agree, sticker and thats it.
Tom

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
For folks expect appreciation (capital that is) don't buy anything which is produced in the thousands, including our FGT's. Now, if you like the car, buy it.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Several Ford employees at Indy told me this is a 5 year program. 200,000 cars, The price will continue dropping.

oceanside gt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Oceanside, CA
Guys as usual, your on it. Thanks for the advice, it is appreciated!!

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
If your waiting for sticker on the GT500, you may be in for a long wait as used ones are currently selling for over MSRP. A few folks have bought this car for MSRP but dam few! I got my GT for sticker but paid way over to get the GT500 and still had to wait 7 months to take delivery.

scylla6

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2006
I have a gt500 ordered at sticker. Also bought my GT for under sticker. They are out there. Don't believe the shyster dealers.

dgussin1

Jul 6, 2006
Chicago, Il
the going rate for a gt500 right now is 5-10K over sticker...not 20-30K. There are used ones to be had for sticker +~5K.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I had to pay over sticker for mine, but I am not trying to save a couple grand and wait for months to find a sticker deal. You can always make more money, but you can not make time. You could die tomorrow. I'm not saying to throw money away, but if it is reasonable, and you can live with it, then take it. $5K over in So Cal is a great deal. Most dealers in So Cal are asking 15-45K over.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
wait grasshoper, be patient, they will be at sticker shortly.... mark my words

oceanside gt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Oceanside, CA
I called the dealer yesterday. They sold the car for $15K over the sticker. The GM told me they will let me have the next one in at $5K over, if I would like it. For anyone interested, on 6-20-07 DBK posted that three GT500's are available on the east coast at sticker with the dealers name and cell number!!!

DALLAS

GT Owner
Jan 28, 2006
Keep looking..Sticker is Possible

I waited on the GT...Had to wait till the 06 came out, but got a NEW 05 at sticker.....Kept looking and turned down 3-4 offers on a GT500 at 8-10 over MSRP...but with waiting "sometimes" you can be rewarded:thumbsup ..Bought at sticker, but dealer did try for more, the market is full of GT500s for sale right now and the 08, KR, and Super Snake will bring the 07s to MSRP....truth is i should hav offered less than sticker...

DALLAS:thumbsup
PS "bony" where did you get the picture of my girlfriend to use in your post?

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I waited on the GT...Had to wait till the 06 came out, but got a NEW 05 at sticker.....Kept looking and turned down 3-4 offers on a GT500 at 8-10 over MSRP...but with waiting "sometimes" you can be rewarded:thumbsup ..Bought at sticker, but dealer did try for more, the market is full of GT500s for sale right now and the 08, KR, and Super Snake will bring the 07s to MSRP....truth is i should hav offered less than sticker...

DALLAS:thumbsup
PS "bony" where did you get the picture of my girlfriend to use in your post?

Good job,... you did the right thing,... there are way to many cars being built to pay over the window,... of course if you want instant gratification, paying over is one way to get a car today. I paid $15k over sticker for FGT #1153 but did the deal in 2002.

Regarding bouncy, I trained her, hope your enjoying her...:lol

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
There are at least 10 in the SoCal area...the price is dropping with the KR and the 08's on the horizon..wait them out...25k over is preposderous!

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I had to pay over sticker for mine, but I am not trying to save a couple grand and wait for months to find a sticker deal. You can always make more money, but you can not make time. You could die tomorrow. I'm not saying to throw money away, but if it is reasonable, and you can live with it, then take it. $5K over in So Cal is a great deal. Most dealers in So Cal are asking 15-45K over.

I can wait. I'll drive my old 06 Tungston GT while I wait. As a matter of fact as every day goes by I wonder why I need to buy another Mustang when I have the GT.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
The free market keeps us in control.

I have a gt500 ordered at sticker. Also bought my GT for under sticker. They are out there. Don't believe the shyster dealers.

scylla6,

I wouldn't be too hard on Ford dealers, especially not today when half of them are losing money. There are currently 4000 Ford dealers and only 10,000 GT500's produced per year, or 2.5 cars per dealership per year. Every Ford dealership probably has 10 to 100 times more people come in and ask about a GT500 and they have GT500's to sell. I agree with Bony, and I am myself waiting to purchase a GT500 at sticker. I just need to get in line behind those people who were willing to pay more than I am. :biggrin Below is a post that I put up on this forum nearly a year ago. I believe it is relevant again here in this thread.: Cheers. :cheers

Chip

The following is written by ex-auto dealer Chip Beck.

Gentlemen,
I am no longer an auto dealer and don't have any dog in this fight but after reading many complaints about "gouging" dealers selling their GT500's for $20,000 over MSRP I feel compelled to point a couple of things out. I too wanted a GT500 at MSRP and I have many friends who are Ford dealers. Every one of them was sold out this year and well into 2008 at 20K over MSRP. Here's a few facts (not opinions) to keep in mind.

1. There are only two ways to allocate any scarce commodity, with a price or with a line. In a free market everything is available at all times if the price can seek it's own level. If a lower price is imposed the product sells out, a line forms and unavailability and long wait times result.

2. MSRP stands for Manufacturers "Suggested" Retail Price, not the Dealers Maximum Allowable Price. When you pay less than MSRP you are not "gouging" the dealer. If you choose to pay more than the MSRP because a model is scarce the dealer is not "gouging" you. Far more cars are sold below MSRP than above MSRP.

3. The dealers do not set prices above or below MSRP, WE DO!! Only buyers and the marketplace can set prices. Your local Ford Dealer is free to mark up his Explorers $20,000 over MSRP but none will sell at that price. Indeed right now none will sell at $1000 below MSRP. Buyers demand and get $2000+ less than MSRP. Dealers are free to sell GT500's at MSRP and they will sell the 1 to 8 a year they are allocated in one hour. Then the product is completely unavailable from that source. This would be as stupid as selling your home for 1.5 million dollars when several buyers are ready to pay you 2 million dollars.

4. Ford Motor Company want's to build and sell as many cars as it can. The 6 speed transmisson in the GT500 and to a lesser extent the hand built engine are the choke points limiting production right now. Until availability of these items eases the demand for these cars will outstrip supply and that brings us back to the ONLY TWO WAYS TO ALLOCATE A SCARCE PRODUCT. We can get in line and the first 10% of the line gets a GT500 at MSRP and the back 90% of the line NEVER gets one (but hey, at least you never get one at a great deal!!) OR, we the buyers decide who wants one the most by bidding the price to the market level. The car is always available at a price that THE BUYERS SET BY PAYING IT!!! Nobody is ever forced to pay over MSRP for a car. The laws of economics are as certain as the law of gravity. Freedom is a powerful thing, God bless America.

Chip

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
again, well said by Chip, car dealers are not shysters. Nobody bitches when they sell at their cost to move dogs and cats of their lots. Let the market decide. I paid well over window for the joy of owning an early production FGT. I could have waited to buy one below window. My choice, no tears in my beer.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
Great post...but I still say..."wait em out"...I had a black/black no stripes offerd to me today from a SD dealer at 5k over...not budging... can't feel sorry for dealers...they had a field day (and so did the other USA manufactueres) years back when their profits were in the billions...whose fault is it that the other car companies snuck up on them and built cars that americans wanted to buy...survival of the fittest...c'mon Ford get it togther!

08GT500

Jul 21, 2007
Peoria,Arizona
Just my 2 cents. I have ordered a 08' at 5k over after more than two months of talking to 50 dealers in a dozen states. Many hopefull buyers are still trying to find a dealer willing to sell for 5k. Here in Phoenix, dealers range from 20k over to 10k over. In 2002 I was able to purchase a Lightning at D plan which was 5k off sticker when no dealer would sell for that. I guess that makes me about even. I have heard of some dealers selling for msrp but not in Phoenix. I would not have ordered the car at all if I could afford a GT. Don't think that will ever happen. I guess the bottom line is there are way more buyers willing to pay over for a Shelby than could afford a GT.