Shelby GT 500 Tires

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
My 2010 GT 500 was delivered to the dealership Monday...in a blizzard. Car is nice and warm in the dealership, but the snow and cold continue here so it is staying put. Signed all the paperwork yesterday to take delivery, and am reading the GT 500 Supplement and read "Ford does not recommend using the original equipment tires when temperatures are below 40F or in snow/ice conditions." Supplement goes on to say that in these conditions, need to use winter or all season tires and give the specs for the tires.

Even the GT manual does not recommend not driving the car below 40F. Forum members have been very specific about not doing that.

Does anyone out there have any experience with a GT 500 with the OEM tires in temps below 40F?

I was planning to sell the Lightning and use the GT 500 as a daily driver, so I am looking for practical advice on how to heed this warning. If I need to, I will have to get a second set of tires/wheels but would like some other input before I go to that expense.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
At the risk of sounding like I'm simply stating the obvious, that "warning" wouldn't be there if there were no sound reason behind it. I'm guessing, as with the FGT's tires being 'risky' below 60*, the 500's tires start losing their grip at the 40* point.

While you COULD "putt around" in those temps on those tires, the smart thing would pbly be to have that 2nd set of tires for use in those temps as you mentioned.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I have driven my GT500 in the 30's with no problems. This includes commuting to work. I also did a Track Day in the low 40's in the rain and had no trouble. However, I have to say I did not push it as much as I might otherwise.

Also, I live in Northern California where it does not get to those temperatures often, so I'd have to admit EP's advise is probably more appropriate for you.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The Goodyears on the GT500 are summer performance tires. I don't believe any manufacturer of summer performance tires recommends using them in cold temperatures because they are hard as a rock when cold. The GT500, like the GT, gets the double whammy-they produce significantly more power in the cold but get less traction, particularly from the stock Goodyears. The Goodyears on my 2008 GT500 have little grip when cold.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
... so I'd have to admit EP's advise is probably more appropriate for you.

:lol And 'twould appear that "pains" you a wee bit! :rofl:rofl:rofl :cheers

'Haven't had that good a laugh all darn day!!! :thumbsup:thumbsup

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Thanks to all..40F is not forecast here for a while, so from TriHeart's response, I should be OK to drive the car home when the snow is cleared off the roads....and look for a set of winter/all season tires and another set of wheels. Imagine another set of Shelby OEM wheels is going to be very pricey, even at dealer cost which I will make a serious pitch for.

If anyone has a good idea on an alernative, I'm all eyes.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Normal driving, you will be fine, all tires will "work" what you have to be most careful of in the GT is there is no traction control and that is how many have gotten in over their head. The 500 has traction control. Also as for a set of OEM wheels, you might be surprised, not hard to find them for less than $200 each (with out tires)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Jack, I've driven my GT a lot when it's cold (below 30), just carefully (no fancy stunts or hot rodding). It's fine, but any ice or snow and you're sunk. Ask Jeff in Seattle.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Jack, I've driven my GT a lot when it's cold (below 30), just carefully (no fancy stunts or hot rodding). It's fine, but any ice or snow and you're sunk. Ask Jeff in Seattle.

Drove mine today. FRREEEZING here. Mine has Hoosier slicks on the back. No problem.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington

Go ahead Ask.:rofl

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Go ahead Ask.:rofl

Tell him how well the GT works as a snow plow, Jeffey...and your recommendations for setting the height of the chin spoiler beforehand. I believe you have pics? :biggrin

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
:lol And 'twould appear that "pains" you a wee bit! :rofl:rofl:rofl :cheers

'Haven't had that good a laugh all darn day!!! :thumbsup:thumbsup

It was awfully painful. :rofl Hey EP, are you part Scottish? "wee bit", had me wondering!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Jack, hold off until April for buying wheels. In April they have "ShelbyFest" in Hermann, MO (on I-70, near Columbia) and you can get some great deals on Shelby stuff. Also, go to the Shelby website. They sometimes have good deals and discounts. Send me a regular e-mail address in a PM and I'll forward you the info when I get it. FJP