Shadowman "Rally IV and a Few Thoughts"

Aug 25, 2006
Now that I am back home from Rally IV the wonderful moments in time continue to run through my mind and flash in front of me; for many reasons (for me) this was the best Rally so far as I will share.

Without a doubt the Ford GT very quickly became the bases for a great number of people to be brought together as is typical of many different gals/marquees with folks initially sharing personal experiences, ideas, and certainly looking for assistance however what has become most apparent over the years is the fact that even though the gals brought us together in the end they are no longer IMO the basis of the relationships. I have experienced, seen, and heard from others that a great number of complex meaning multi faceted relationships have been developed as the result of the Ford GT being the first point of contact which is not typical of groups formed around a gal/marquee. IMO most of these relationships will weather the test of time independent of the Ford GT because they are in the truest sense, complex relationships that will continue to evolve over time.

Sadly, in most cases the forum based relationships are not only formed as the direct result of a specific gal/marquee but remain to say the least superficial whereas not only IMO is the Ford GT a very unique moment in time but even more so is the eclectic group of folks that have come together becoming IMO in the truest sense “friends”.

I saw and heard over and over throughout this Rally one’s most sincere desire to see and hear about another and or his or her gal when compared to them being most interested in sharing themselves and their gal; now do not get me wrong as there were many folks with extremely cool personal touch items being shared however in most cases they were asked to do so rather than it being who they are aka their proverbial lapel pin akin to them sayng “hey; look at me”.

Egos are not a component of this group but rather self confidence and respect for others are which I dare say are two character traits that are sadly not seen or experienced as much today as when I was much younger. Now certainly both of these words are used all the time however far too often as a substitute for the correct words such as “me” and “my” that resulti in what I refer to as shallow self serving lip service.

Now IMO the participation in the events was significant too and IMO to a person everyone was not only willing to but rather wanted to do whatever they could to insure that their friends had an equally great time which in most cases was a friend from afar and even more so a friendship that had been developed akin to a pen pal over time during which many had never met each other and then upon doing so the shared emotions were both significant and sincere; this IMO was a phenomenal sight to behold and moment to be experienced as well as a component of the Ford GT community that is more than simply unique; it is a true phenomenon.

This IMO is not longer a Ford GT gathering but rather a gathering of friends that own/have owned Ford GTs; we all know how it began with our friends DBK and Bony being pivotal and I dare say that they likely expected it to become and remain as IMO are “all” other on line gathering points, a rather typical on line car club that would unfold and then to some degree scatter or at the very least fracture over time; I dare say that no one could have anticipated the endless number of complex multi faceted relations that would and continue to be formulated as the “direct” result of the proverbial switch being flipped aka our forum being turned on several years ago.

Will this phenomenon ever be duplicated by another; IMO there is no chance of this however there may be other that attempt to do so but then the key word is “attempt” whereas in our case it simply happened.

All the best my friends; with “friends” being a term that I do not use casually as many have come to experience firsthand. For this and so much more I thank you all for the shared experiences and I look forward to seeing and enjoying my friends as well as materially participating with the forum for the foreseeable future.

Takes care

Shadowman

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
What a beautiful sentiment [sniff]. And oh so TRUE! The camaraderie we’ve experienced in the 3.5 years we’ve been on the Forum is unique, positive, and always so warm/sincere. Even when we were without a car, we felt as though we were still part of this Forum family (and heckled endlessly – just like real family). The Rallies just serve to reignite, rejuvenate, and reconnect all of us. We also have the pleasure of meeting new GT owners and getting to retell some of our fun stories, and getting to hear new stories – both remind us how special the car is and, more importantly (for me anyway), how special all the people are. DBK – you started all this. I hope you are proud of what it has become – I think I can safely say all of us certainly are!! We each contribute in our own ways to this great Forum (even if you’re in the background reading and not posting very much).
Thank you all for all you do!
Lady Moose

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Thanks Shadowman, we realized very quickly that there is something very rare and special that is difficult to explain. Thanks for putting it into words.
:cheers
Hi Mooses, Lady Moose, Monica said to watch that right foot ...:biggrin

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Bill you have a way with words that perfectly sizes up the situation, I couldnt agree with you more. Im especially glad I got to spend a bit more time with you on this rally. It was a wonderfull event spent with great people, which I cant wait to see on the next rally!:cheers

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
It's for this exact reason that I was disappointed in not being able to make it to the rally, even though it was so close. I looked forward in meeting the people I had conversed with here and on the phone. Since I'm thinking of retiring soon, that would allow me to make the next rally. Rally V come on.

John

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
It's for this exact reason that I was disappointed in not being able to make it to the rally, even though it was so close. I looked forward in meeting the people I had conversed with here and on the phone. Since I'm thinking of retiring soon, that would allow me to make the next rally. Rally V come on.

John

Just dont sell the car before then! :thumbsup

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Just dont sell the car before then! :thumbsup

Nope I won't. Of all the really great cars I've owned, this one seems to scratch my itch. It's well designed, made, and looks great. Wished I could have made just the TWS event, but noooooo. :frown

John

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Only The Shadow knows

Shadowman

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
As always Bill, you usually put into words the thoughts that I hope to express better than I can myself. I especially enjoyed having breakfast with you and sharing a cab at 4:00 AM Saturday morning after a long day. This was a very "different" rally than the rallies in the past as we all were acutely aware of the fact that one very special member was not present. Chip's words really got to me on Friday night. I had no idea that I would be so emotional mourning Bony'd death. I didn't even shed a tear at his funeral service. I sat next to my dear friend, Larry (AZGT) who is a clinical psychologist at dinner, and I really needed his comforting words. Having the chance to mourn, then going out with you, Kip, Jamal and all the others later than night really helped to restore my joy. I know Bony would have wanted it that way. Thanks for your words and for your support of this special "family". It means a lot to me and many, many others on this Forum.

AZSTAD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
I especially enjoyed having breakfast with you and sharing a cab at 4:00 AM Saturday morning after a long day.

Guys - it was truly a pleasure getting to meet several new folks for the first time and getting to know others better. It was an honor to hang with Shadowman, Kip, the Cantwell's and others until wee morning hours.

I hope wherever Rally V ends up, it has the same ability to have the personal touch that Rally IV did.

All the best guys. It was a blast!

RedGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 21, 2006
Foxfield, Colorado
Very well said, Bill.

I enjoyed meeting and talking with you while you were waiting for the group on Saturday night.

I, like a lot of other owners, have been to all four rallies, and each one seems to be better than the last. Can't wait for the next one.

Bill

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
As always Bill, you usually put into words the thoughts that I hope to express better than I can myself. I especially enjoyed having breakfast with you and sharing a cab at 4:00 AM Saturday morning after a long day. This was a very "different" rally than the rallies in the past as we all were acutely aware of the fact that one very special member was not present. Chip's words really got to me on Friday night. I had no idea that I would be so emotional mourning Bony'd death. I didn't even shed a tear at his funeral service. I sat next to my dear friend, Larry (AZGT) who is a clinical psychologist at dinner, and I really needed his comforting words. Having the chance to mourn, then going out with you, Kip, Jamal and all the others later than night really helped to restore my joy. I know Bony would have wanted it that way. Thanks for your words and for your support of this special "family". It means a lot to me and many, many others on this Forum.
Thank you Bill for expressing what so many of us feel so eloquently and Tim, I had the same experience Friday evening. Daniel's service came as a total surprise to me as I did not know it was planned. The wave of emotion hit me like a tsunami! I was honored to be there and I feel it brought us all closer together. This is truly a great group of people!
Many thanks for all of your collective friendship!
Dave

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
... rather than it being who they are aka their proverbial lapel pin akin to them sayng “hey; look at me”.

Uuuuuuuuuuh...duz that mean we ought not put our "Origional GT Owner" pins on our fleeces, then, Bill???:eek:willy:willy:willy:lol:thumbsup:cheers

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Guys - it was truly a pleasure getting to meet several new folks for the first time and getting to know others better. It was an honor to hang with Shadowman, Kip, the Cantwell's and others until wee morning hours.

I hope wherever Rally V ends up, it has the same ability to have the personal touch that Rally IV did.

All the best guys. It was a blast!

X2!

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Thank you Bill for expressing what so many of us feel so eloquently and Tim, I had the same experience Friday evening. Daniel's service came as a total surprise to me as I did not know it was planned. The wave of emotion hit me like a tsunami! I was honored to be there and I feel it brought us all closer together. This is truly a great group of people!
Many thanks for all of your collective friendship!
Dave

Agreed Dave! The "ceremony" that Chip officiated brought some real closure to something that has been difficult for me to fully grasp or understand during the past several months. I felt that the words and deeds expressed Friday night closed a very important chapter in my own life and opened new beginnings to the future. Bony would have wanted it that way. (In fact I am having a Maker's Mark Manhatan prepared just the way Bony liked it right now celebrating his life and the great time we all had together last week!!)

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Shadowman, those words are so on point for the way I left there also. :thumbsup
In addition, I brought along a friend of mine, Chris (aka "Wingman"). He very much wanted me to tell the group thank you for including him and making him truely feel as "one of the gang" on a once in a lifetime experience.
BTW, he is a BIG Porsche guy and cannot believe how the GT totally blows that marque away as the COMPLETE package: a long distance cruiser, track car and one mile performer.
RALLY V her we come! :banana

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
Thank you Bill for such a moving a great post... and again for all your help at the rally...

I couldn't speak during Chip's speech either as it was hard to control my emotions... I can only hope that when my day comes, I will be honored in such a way... perfect words spoke by a true friend.

Thank you guys for honoring our friend so well.

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Sorry I missed the rally. I would have loved meeting all the new faces and happy GT owners. The unexpected phone call from Tim and Ron was really great, but even made me miss all you guys even more. I'll make the next one for sure. I'll be at SEMA so hopefully I'll run into some of you there.

Rich:cheers

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Team Member MIA

Sorry I missed the rally. I would have loved meeting all the new faces and happy GT owners. The unexpected phone call from Tim and Ron was really great, but even made me miss all you guys even more. I'll make the next one for sure. I'll be at SEMA so hopefully I'll run into some of you there.

Rich,

I just assumed you would be there. We all missed you.

Chip

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Rich,

Quite a few people asked about you. You definitely were missed this year! Make sure to sign up for the SEMA dinner on Wed night!!! I'm looking forward to seeing you there and catching up! :thumbsup