Shadowman Needs Some Assistance w/the Clamshell Vent Project

Aug 25, 2006
I just finished chatting with Petunia and I was informed that a box load of clamshell vents are heading my way as such the machine is still moving forward.

On this end I am prepared to tend to them once they arrive however there are a couple items that need to be made clear; I shared early on that that the vents can be painted as OEM, powder coated either clear to retain a natural machined finish or with an OEM color, and also polished depending on the desired look however I also shared that the powder will have be a special formula for at least a few of the colors as such I need some help;

I need a solo vent of each of the following colors

White
Black
Silver
Blue

The vent will be used to create the powder color match

Now I also shared that for custom powder a fee will be associated with the process for them to do this and I will simply spread this cost over the number of clamshell vents using it. If the associated fee is IMO greater than I feel reasonable for a color with only a few requests then my intention was to paint them however I need to make sure that all parties involved with this process are aware of this and comfortable because my goal was to present back wonderful pieces whether powder coated or painted with the primary objective being a wonderful looking piece.

It is at this time that I should also share that IMO whether powder coated or painted the clamshell vents will weather the test of time because it is not an area subject to impact abuse. Both finishes can and should be waxed however the painted finish will likely produce a higher luster.

Thank you for your assistance and I welcome any questions

Takes care

Shadowman

Last edited:

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
vents

Hello bill. Im not sure where i am on the list but if you can't find a white vent to borrow in your area i can send you one of mine.
I don't even need these i just jumped on the band wagon for the heck of it and am also undecieded as to what finish to put on them.
When they show up if mine are in the pile let me know, also if someone is really desperate to get their's pronto, you can give them mine i can wait till the smoke clears. Thanks for helping BTW :cheers

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Hello bill. Im not sure where i am on the list but if you can't find a white vent to borrow in your area i can send you one of mine.
I don't even need these i just jumped on the band wagon for the heck of it and am also undecieded as to what finish to put on them.
When they show up if mine are in the pile let me know, also if someone is really desperate to get their's pronto, you can give them mine i can wait till the smoke clears. Thanks for helping BTW :cheers

Yes Lorenzo your vents will go out to Shadowman in the morning.:thumbsup

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Side vent powdercoating.

Now I also shared that for custom powder a fee will be associated with the process for them to do this and I will simply spread this cost over the number of clamshell vents using it......I welcome any questions.

Bill,

First, if there is no Black or Black stripe car that is local to your shop that volunteers within 24 hours, I will pull a black vent off of my yellow/black car and send it to you. If you don't have one in hand by tomorrow please PM me your shipping address and I'll FedEx my vent.

Second, in addition to these black vents, you will soon be getting a bunch of the side rear clamshell vents and they will all (or almost all) need to be powdercoated black as the OEM plastic side vents are black regardless of the car color. This might impact (increase) the amount of Black powdercoat you get formulated when you order it.

Thanks again.

Chip

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Bill,
I will likely have my black vents replaced with OEM later this week, off my black no stripe car. If so, I can mail it to you Friday.

Aug 25, 2006
Bill,
I will likely have my black vents replaced with OEM later this week, off my black no stripe car. If so, I can mail it to you Friday.

Perfect and thank you

One down

All the best

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006
Bill,

First, if there is no Black or Black stripe car that is local to your shop that volunteers within 24 hours, I will pull a black vent off of my yellow/black car and send it to you. If you don't have one in hand by tomorrow please PM me your shipping address and I'll FedEx my vent.

Second, in addition to these black vents, you will soon be getting a bunch of the side rear clamshell vents and they will all (or almost all) need to be powdercoated black as the OEM plastic side vents are black regardless of the car color. This might impact (increase) the amount of Black powdercoat you get formulated when you order it.

Thanks again.

Chip

Thank you Chip; we now have black in the proverbial bag; or I will after Friday

Now as for the side vents; Petunia and I have been discussing this as well.

All the best

Shadowman

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Shadowman,

My original black vents are sitting in a box in my garage. They were replaced under warranty last year. I'm not part of the clamshell vent group purchase but would be happy to assist if needed.

Best Regards,
Waldo

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
You can use the vent off of the Rabbit if needed.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Thanks Shadowman! I cant wait to get my black vents! I know you do the best work! One of my vents are cracked.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Shadow, please expand on this question. I'm not quite sure what the difference is between OEM painting and OEM powdercoat. I assume that OEM painting is just that-painted then clearcoated. Powdercoating would entail an electric charge applied to the metal while being OEM color sprayed and then cooked at some high temp followed by clearcoat.

It seems to me that those of us who want OEM color will be better off with powdercoating. Am I correct in my thinking? Thanks for the info

Frank the non-metallurgist

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I just finished chatting with Petunia and I was informed that a box load of clamshell vents are heading my way as such the machine is still moving forward.

On this end I am prepared to tend to them once they arrive however there are a couple items that need to be made clear; I shared early on that that the vents can be painted as OEM, powder coated either clear to retain a natural machined finish or with an OEM color, and also polished depending on the desired look however I also shared that the powder will have be a special formula for at least a few of the colors as such I need some help;

I need a solo vent of each of the following colors

White
Black
Silver
Blue

The vent will be used to create the powder color match

Now I also shared that for custom powder a fee will be associated with the process for them to do this and I will simply spread this cost over the number of clamshell vents using it. If the associated fee is IMO greater than I feel reasonable for a color with only a few requests then my intention was to paint them however I need to make sure that all parties involved with this process are aware of this and comfortable because my goal was to present back wonderful pieces whether powder coated or painted with the primary objective being a wonderful looking piece.

It is at this time that I should also share that IMO whether powder coated or painted the clamshell vents will weather the test of time because it is not an area subject to impact abuse. Both finishes can and should be waxed however the painted finish will likely produce a higher luster.

Thank you for your assistance and I welcome any questions

Takes care

Shadowman

Hey Shadowman will you be able to do midnight blue metallic?

John

TifosiTed

GT Owner
Jul 30, 2007
Chicago Burbs
Is Epic Orange under consideration for Heritage cars? Or would I be the only one:frown

Aug 25, 2006
I do not have the answer on the colors and the associated powder yet and will not until I have each color in hand

When I refer to OEM I am simply sharing a factory color regardless of the process used to achieve it.

Now as for orange; maybe however as with all of the colors if the powder is too expensive for a limited run or does not present an exact match then they would have to be painted unless clear coated natural finish or polished.

I will remain the Puppet Master during this phase of the project however to a person you folks are pulling the strings; I am and will contiue to do my best based on the direction as shared.

Takes care

Shadowman

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Hey Shadowman I will have a silver one coming your way:thumbsup

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Do I hear anyone out there with a WHITE one that Shadowman can borrow???????????????:cheers

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Maybe I could take one off of Bony's car?

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Maybe I could take one off of Bony's car?

It would definitely be in good hands with Bill

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
If he does not have a white one yet I will ask if I can remove it. How do you remove them? By the way, how do I order a set and how much are they?

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
If he does not have a white one yet I will ask if I can remove it. How do you remove them? By the way, how do I order a set and how much are they?

It's very easy: start by raising the clam shell, each vent will have six nuts (remove them), gently push the vent out by the six studs and wallah you have a vent off (some vents have two sided tape on them). Two things to consider when removing the vents: 1. put a drop cloth down just in case you drop one of the nuts and 2. the vents are somewhat fragile so take your time.

Order here:thumbsup
http://www.fordgtforum.com/vents.html