Serious peace of mind with upgraded halfshaft bolts...

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I have to agree with black ice. It is a cost vs risk ratio. The original arms were made in a new casting process (vs forged) that was proposed to be as strong as forged but cheaper and lighter, However there were found to be imperfections in the arms; one cracked and therefore replaced. Arm failure at high speed could be lethal. I quess lost power to the wheels due to a-bolt failure is not thought as being as dangerous (less likely to initiate some costly and high profile law suits).. I e-mailed ricardo about the problem but they are deferring to Ford.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I e-mailed ricardo about the problem but they are deferring to Ford.

I'm STILL emailing back & forth to Ford about covering the "preemptive" replacement of these bolts ...and they're still duckin' & dodgin'.

If I get anything "positive" (or otherwise!) from them, I'll post it.

Everything said on this subject by everybody on the Forum acknowledged (cost/risk/etc.), I can't really understand Ford "ducking" this pblm just from a "P.R." standpoint. Here they have a car for which people have paid $ 167K to $??? that has a KNOWN powertrain pblm ... and they're virtually ignoring it? In effect, they're simply palming it off on those who bought the car & saying, "Aaaah, we know there was a design flaw here, but YOU take care of it."

'Not the best example of corporate attitude & responsibility.

As an aside, I called my dealer LAST FRIDAY (12/8) and spoke to the GT service manager's answering machine about the 'bolt pblm & asked him to call me back so we could discuss "options". Tomorrow will mark a week since I called. Ain't heard a word. 'Swell. (They have my $$$ ... 'end of interest.)

'Looks like a company wide virus...

E.P.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I have to agree with black ice. It is a cost vs risk ratio. The original arms were made in a new casting process (vs forged) that was proposed to be as strong as forged but cheaper and lighter, However there were found to be imperfections in the arms; one cracked and therefore replaced. Arm failure at high speed could be lethal. I quess lost power to the wheels due to a-bolt failure is not thought as being as dangerous (less likely to initiate some costly and high profile law suits).. I e-mailed ricardo about the problem but they are deferring to Ford.

Well Gene, I can design several scenarios where a loss of power could result in a serious and most dangerous condition.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I'm STILL emailing back & forth to Ford about covering the "preemptive" replacement of these bolts ...and they're still duckin' & dodgin'.

If I get anything "positive" (or otherwise!) from them, I'll post it.

Everything said on this subject by everybody on the Forum acknowledged (cost/risk/etc.), I can't really understand Ford "ducking" this pblm just from a "P.R." standpoint. Here they have a car for which people have paid $ 167K to $??? that has a KNOWN powertrain pblm ... and they're virtually ignoring it? In effect, they're simply palming it off on those who bought the car & saying, "Aaaah, we know there was a design flaw here, but YOU take care of it."

'Not the best example of corporate attitude & responsibility.

As an aside, I called my dealer LAST FRIDAY (12/8) and spoke to the GT service manager's answering machine about the 'bolt pblm & asked him to call me back so we could discuss "options". Tomorrow will mark a week since I called. Ain't heard a word. 'Swell. (They have my $$$ ... 'end of interest.)

'Looks like a company wide virus...

E.P.

Please, could someone advise if the Ford replacement set of bolts and washers is designed to be safety wired? Yes or No

At this point in the game I would not be comfortable without safety wired bolts such as what The GT GUYS are doing,

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'wired bolts

Please, could someone advise if the Ford replacement set of bolts and washers is designed to be safety wired? Yes or No

At this point in the game I would not be comfortable without safety wired bolts such as what The GT GUYS are doing,

Hey, Bony, how does one contact "The GT Guys"?
I'd like to get their 'wired' 'bolt kit. 'Don't see a lotta promise in waiting for Ford ... and I'll betcha all you might wanna loose that FORD's bolts arn't set up for safety wiring anyway ("COST", you know...).

Thanks ~~~~

E.P.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Hey, Bony, how does one contact "The GT Guys"?
I'd like to get their 'wired' 'bolt kit. 'Don't see a lotta promise in waiting for Ford ... and I'll betcha all you might wanna loose that FORD's bolts arn't set up for safety wiring anyway ("COST", you know...).

Thanks ~~~~

E.P.

Smart move EP!
www.thegtguy.com
734 658 9498
Rich Brooks and Dennis Breitenback
tell em Bony sent you, that adds 25% to the quote:banana :willy :banana

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
gT GUYS

Smart move EP!
www.thegtguy.com
734 658 9498
Rich Brooks and Dennis Breitenback
tell em Bony sent you, that adds 25% to the quote:banana :willy :banana

:bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang

Thanks, Bony.
Yur a good guy. I don't CARE what everybody else sez!:rofl

E.P.

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
Sorry you guys are having this much trouble with your dealers. I am lucky I guess. I mentioned the potentional problem, and they said they had information on it, and would cover it under warranty - a preventative repair. They ordered the bolts, drilled them, replaced and safety wired them. One day in the shop. Didn't seem like a big deal to them. The dealer? Greenwood Ford, Bowling Green, KY, where I bought the car.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA

They are not specifically designed to be wired. A small hole is drilled through the head of the fastener, and wired up. Common practice in race applications, rare on any "stock" applications.

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
Personally, the stock replacement bolts from Ford will wok fine IF installed properly. I do not think you need to safety wire the bolts. This is overkill if the bolts are installed properly in the first place. The main problem with the stock bolts is a combination of not using Locktite at the factory, over or under torquing the bolts and not using hardened washers. With hardened washers, locktite, and the right torquing procedure, these bolts should never back out. There is not much force being applied to the two inner bolts.

gtracer

GT Owner
Oct 13, 2006
Homer Glen, IL.
I've been waiting about 3 weeks for replacement bolts, the dealer is being pro-active in my case. Are the bolts still on back order around the country?

Last edited:

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Spirited Driver ?

Personally, the stock replacement bolts from Ford will wok fine IF installed properly. I do not think you need to safety wire the bolts. This is overkill if the bolts are installed properly in the first place. The main problem with the stock bolts is a combination of not using Locktite at the factory, over or under torquing the bolts and not using hardened washers. With hardened washers, locktite, and the right torquing procedure, these bolts should never back out. There is not much force being applied to the two inner bolts.

lthlvpr,

You are correct, however, the saftey wire sure isn't going to hurt anything.

Had mine done by The GT Guys [upgraded bolts & washers] with saftey wired bolts.

Just an added measure of saftey & insurance, especially if you are a "SPIRITED" driver:biggrin .

Fred

:cheers

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.

I respectfully disagree about safety wire being overkill. From some forum members posts I see that some dealers are drilling the heads and safety wiring them. But, it's your car and you can do what you think is sufficient.

XR750

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2006
My dealer found out

after reading about all these issues I asked my dealer to find out if I needed the updated hardware, interestingly the dealer directed me to the service manager who contacted ford on my inquiery,
he definitevily said not needed and this is the guy who would stand to make a buck or two by performing the repair, he had it on his premisis for 70 days while I was out of the country too, so no b.s. about not being able to get it done in time, also thy sold 6 cars , mine being the 6th,

so...Watson, I deduce
1. there is a way to have your dealer find out,
2. VIN number is relevant

my car 2006 #1428

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Here is a picture of the new bolts that the GT guys installed on my GT. These are Ford parts that the GT guys drill and safety wire. Some argue that safety wiring is not needed. I don't know, but it cannot hurt and may help. There is a reason that most fasteners on aircraft are safety wired!

BlackICE

Attachments

• Transaxle Bolts New.jpg
    Transaxle Bolts New.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 143

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Here is a picture of the new bolts that the GT guys installed on my GT. These are Ford parts that the GT guys drill and safety wire. Some argue that safety wiring is not needed. I don't know, but it cannot hurt and may help. There is a reason that most fasteners on aircraft are safety wired!

BlackICE

What did they cost yuh?

E.P.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Better Safe Than Sorry

.......There is a reason that most fasteners on aircraft are safety wired!

BlackICE

ICE,

As well as Racing Cars and Motorcycles.

Fred

:thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
after reading about all these issues I asked my dealer to find out if I needed the updated hardware, interestingly the dealer directed me to the service manager who contacted ford on my inquiery,
he definitevily said not needed and this is the guy who would stand to make a buck or two by performing the repair, he had it on his premisis for 70 days while I was out of the country too, so no b.s. about not being able to get it done in time, also thy sold 6 cars , mine being the 6th,

so...Watson, I deduce
1. there is a way to have your dealer find out,
2. VIN number is relevant

my car 2006 #1428

The folks on the Ford 800 number told me I didn't need to be concerned.
I wasn't, but then I read about other's having an issue. So I said, what the hell, might as well do it. Learned that I had loose bolts and concaved washers. My choice, I paid for it, not asking anyone to reimburse me.
And oh by the way, these transaxles were assembled by Ricardo and nobody knows in which cars they were installed. So Watson, I wish you the best of luck.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Symptoms

Okaaaaay ... I know this "'bolt" topic has practically been beaten to death, but I don't remember anybody posting any "PRE FAILURE SYMPTOMS" that were evident B4 their car went "dead in the water" ...OR IS THAT WUNNA THE PROBLEMS?

Those of you who've actually HAD this happen ... did you "hear" or "FEEL" anything odd B4 the bolts failed? 'Some odd sound or vibration, or something else that just didn't seem right to you? That'd be a BIG help to the rest of us who may be prone to this virus. Maybe a FLUID LEAK due to things coming loose?

'Called this morning to SVO & the "Coldline" and 'STILL nothing new on Ford's "stand" on this issue. They're still maintaining the, "if it ain't broke, we won't fix it", posture. "A little birdie" told me how to play a little game with Ford to get the bolts done under warranty (thanks again, "Little Birdie"!), and I WILL DO THAT if it comes down to it, but, I'd rather not.

The SVT guys adamantly proclaim this to be a VERY RARE pblm ...and it pbly IS - unless you're wunna the people whom it's affected!

Thanks for any "words of wisdom" you may have about "symptoms".

E.P.

Last edited:

Hammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 10, 2006
San Diego, CA
Re: symptoms

E.P. -
There were no symptoms at all that I noticed before the bolts failed. No unusual sound, rattle, or vibration. Just a sudden loss of power to the rear wheels, although the engine continued to rev well in any gear. I didn't notice any fluid leak prior to the failure, either. By the way, the two replacement washers and four bolts that are the main problem came from the U.K. (which likely means from Ricardo). And, like Bony said, if the transaxles were assembled separately and shipped in batches from Ricardo, you may not be able to determine which cars were affected by following VIN numbers.