Sedans

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
This past Thursday my architect buddy and I head off to the new Lexus dealership in Newport Beach to scope out their new Service Bay for "ideas" for my new shop....Long story made short, the GM is taking us on the tour and we start talking about the new LS460L....he tells us about the backlog...I let him know I'm interested in getting one....he ask's me my color preference...I tell him silver or titanium...he tells me a customer just "returned" his, silver, fully loaded with 128 miles on the odometer(he was a repeat customer who order his new Lexus but got the "L" version which is longer and when he got it home it didn't fit in his garage:frown ).... so he offered it to me AND now I own it.

This car's a trip. Goddamn thing can park itself. It got me thinking about resuming my drinking days:cheers !

Anyhow, the GM is telling me that they are converting over Mercedes guys daily. I've owned/driven 'em all, pretty much, and gotta say that this Japanese engineered/built car is very, very impressive. So impressive in fact that I went back to the dealership yesterday and put a deposit down on the '08 that's supposed to have 500+hp.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
This past Thursday my architect buddy and I head off to the new Lexus dealership in Newport Beach to scope out their new Service Bay for "ideas" for my new shop....Long story made short, the GM is taking us on the tour and we start talking about the new LS460L....he tells us about the backlog...I let him know I'm interested in getting one....he ask's me my color preference...I tell him silver or titanium...he tells me a customer just "returned" his, silver, fully loaded with 128 miles on the odometer(he was a repeat customer who order his new Lexus but got the "L" version which is longer and when he got it home it didn't fit in his garage:frown ).... so he offered it to me AND now I own it.

This car's a trip. Goddamn thing can park itself. It got me thinking about resuming my drinking days:cheers !

Anyhow, the GM is telling me that they are converting over Mercedes guys daily. I've owned/driven 'em all, pretty much, and gotta say that this Japanese engineered/built car is very, very impressive. So impressive in fact that I went back to the dealership yesterday and put a deposit down on the '08 that's supposed to have 500+hp.

I have to agree with you. I am sad to say it will take me many years of wound licking before I own another Mercedes. The LS460 is a killer looking machine, congrats.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I agree. The resale on especially any AMG is horrid. My wifes SLK55 has 4K miles on it. I paid $72K for it about 18 months ago. I asked about trading it in on the Viper, and they said they would give me $34K for it.:lol
I told them I would burn it to the ground before taking that deal.
I got rid of my CL55 when I bought my GT. I paid $138K for it 3.5 years ago, and only got $52K for it.
My SL55 is 1.5 years old and was over $125 new, and I would be lucky if I get 70K for it now.
My M5 was $93K 6 months ago. I would be lucky getting 70K for it now.
How do I know, I was going to trade in one of the cars for the LS460.
The Hybrid one coming out in a few months is supposed to be real cool. I can't wait to see the new LED headlights.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I owned one and only one Merc, a SL-500. Was looking at the SL65 when I found the GT. Merc summary: To heavy, to many problems and the depreciation - 1/2 value every 18 months....:frown

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Nevermind the depreciation, I am sick and tired of having a car spend more time in the shop than on the road. When I know every tech at the dealership something is wrong. :thumbsdow :bs :thumbsdow

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Nevermind the depreciation, I am sick and tired of having a car spend more time in the shop than on the road. When I know every tech at the dealership something is wrong. :thumbsdow :bs :thumbsdow

I wonder if CSX ever had a merc?:bored

getbit

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 15, 2006
Austin, Texas
I am thinking about getting rid of my E63 for the Lexus LS Hybrid hotrod, also.
There is a possibility of getting a deal on a 2007 S65 before the LS hits...good enough that I may not be able to pass on.
I have yet to drive the new LS460 but am impressed with what I've read so far as well as the looks of the car.
I've owned a couple of Lexus in the past and have been thoroughly pleased but they have been a bit boring.
I've been waiting on any excuse to try them again.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I wonder if CSX ever had a merc?:bored

Ok Mike, I got the hint... I am sorry Deiter I love my cars....

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA

Daniel, you know any car will have problems when you drive it like a little old lady.:wink If you want to make sure your GT doesn't have any problems, you can trailor it down to me, and I will take care of it for you.:biggrin

Actually, I have never had a problem with any of the 4 Mercs I have had in the last 4 years. I guess I was lucky.:biggrin I owned my CL for 3.5 years, and it was never in the shop, not once. My SL had to go in once because my battery died from sitting there, not being started for 6 months (my fault).
You can not beat Mercedes for luxury hot rods, but the Lexus looks like a great competitor, although will not match a 63 or 65 amg in performance.

But I must say, I will not buy another MB or BMW (I think).

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Daniel, you know any car will have problems when you drive it like a little old lady.:wink If you want to make sure your GT doesn't have any problems, you can trailor it down to me, and I will take care of it for you.:biggrin

Actually, I have never had a problem with any of the 4 Mercs I have had in the last 4 years. I guess I was lucky.:biggrin I owned my CL for 3.5 years, and it was never in the shop, not once. My SL had to go in once because my battery died from sitting there, not being started for 6 months (my fault).
You can not beat Mercedes for luxury hot rods, but the Lexus looks like a great competitor, although will not match a 63 or 65 amg in performance.

But I must say, I will not buy another MB or BMW (I think).

Mike just sent me a mental message that if I bitch anymore about my Merc's he will change my handle to CSX-BONY. :banana :eek :eek :banana That being said, I am done.
The Lexus is a great car, the dealership here in Fresno changed hands, has a new store, the GM is a great supporter of Boys & Girls Clubs and I just brought her into my Rotary Club. That being said, one of my best buddies owns the Ford Truck and Lincoln Mercury Volvo store and I guess I have to buy my street cars from him, just ordered a Volvo C70 for Mrs. Bony.

M

Mark O

In Europe, Mercedes are police cars & taxi cabs, however, here they are sold as high end luxury vehicles. Sipmly, an MB is just a Euro-Chevy. :biggrin

It's amazing what marketing can do.

201MPH

Apr 25, 2006
Toronto
Can't go wrong with a Lexus, phenominal cars, great dealers and they don't depreciate anywhere near as fast as a benz. Good choice, probably the best luxury car under 100K these days.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
just ordered a Volvo C70 for Mrs. Bony.

Hey, Bony, what's the deal with the C70 now? I was told by my local dealer he may not even HAVE one here in '07 ...'that we'd have to pbly order an '08. What's the ETA on YOURS??? Any idea?
(This "halo car" crap is getting to be a pain in the "sit down"...)
Were you aware that the 335i is now available in a "drop top" too? 400lbs heaver than a std coupe with the same 300/300 dual turbo "6", but, 'still quicker than the C70!

'Pockets

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Hey, Bony, what's the deal with the C70 now? I was told by my local dealer he may not even HAVE one here in '07 ...'that we'd have to pbly order an '08. What's the ETA on YOURS??? Any idea?
(This "halo car" crap is getting to be a pain in the "sit down"...)
Were you aware that the 335i is now available in a "drop top" too? 400lbs heaver than a std coupe with the same 300/300 dual turbo "6", but, 'still quicker than the C70!

'Pockets

Hey Larry,
I was told the car would be a 6 month wait, ordered it for an April 27th delivery. It is for Mrs. Bony so horsepower isn't an issue. I spec'd the car out for her. I drive a V70R, with a chip, pulley, exhaust that on the dyno spec'd at 400rwhp. Have to say it is the best car I have ever owned. Just turned 50k and it has never been back to the dealer for anything but scheduled maintenace. Car is tight as a drum, no rattles, great fit and finish. As I posted the dealer is a pal, and I would hurt his feeling if I wasn't driving one of his cars. Just gave him an order for forty three vans for the salesmen.
Happy New Year,
daniel

SoCal Rebell

Dec 24, 2006
I need an SUV because I have 2 large dogs, a Jeep SRT8 with a heads, exhaust and ignition mods has 500 bhp in a 4WD, very comfortable and rockets off the line :biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Hey Larry,
I was told the car would be a 6 month wait, ordered it for an April 27th delivery. It is for Mrs. Bony so horsepower isn't an issue.

That's what I figured! But, I was curious as to whether you'd considered the335 anyway. 'Obvious from your reply what's what in that department! 'Don't blame you!:thumbsup
'Sure odd that my LOCAL dealer would be saying "delivery in '08". 'Gotta be a sales volume thing...

E.P.

Rong

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2006
Agree to disagree

I agree about the depreciation on the Mercedes products but I have 36K miles on my SL65 and not one single problem. The car is as fast or faster than almost any exotic (GT included), seems to get faster with the miles, looks great and is as comfortable as most high end sedans. I have a Graphite Designo (maching wheel centers) and get tons of compliments on the car. Was especially fun driving home, top down, after the Charger's game today with yet another victory grin..

I miss my GT but my 430 Spider is helping me get over it. I may be back...

The Lexus brakes are very bad .....per road tests, and what about the soul?

I just took delivery of a Range Rover Sport for the wife yesterday...not a bad ride.

A happy and joyful New Year to all you gearheads!!

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
Don't get me wrong I love Lexus and think they build an amazing car. In fact, my wife has the SC430, great car and just stunning styling.

But what the heck happened to the new LS? Tech wise it is amazing ( I suck at parking). However, the styling just isn't there. I think Lexus was afraid of changing the styling too much. Looks like every other car from Japan.

I was waiting for the new LS and when I saw it at the auto show, I went right out and bought the new S550. Love it or hate it, at least Merc went out and designed a whole new look. I have owned MB's for years with no problems (maybe lucky). By the way the new S550 is an amazing car! I have to say that they did make it more like a Lexus compared to my older S500. So, I guess I now own a car that copied some Lexus engineering, but with cutting edge styling. Too bad Lexus didn't do the same!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Just gave him an order for forty three vans for the salesmen.
daniel

Bony, with 43 Vans and a GT you should invest in your own gas station!

BlackICE

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Volvo

Hey Larry,
I was told the car would be a 6 month wait, ordered it for an April 27th delivery. It is for Mrs. Bony so horsepower isn't an issue. I spec'd the car out for her. I drive a V70R, with a chip, pulley, exhaust that on the dyno spec'd at 400rwhp. Have to say it is the best car I have ever owned. Just turned 50k and it has never been back to the dealer for anything but scheduled maintenace. Car is tight as a drum, no rattles, great fit and finish. As I posted the dealer is a pal, and I would hurt his feeling if I wasn't driving one of his cars. Just gave him an order for forty three vans for the salesmen.
Happy New Year,
daniel

Daniel,

I took delivery of a new 2007 S60R at the Volvo factory in Sweden in November (Overseas Delivery Program -- a.k.a. OSD). As part of a Volvo package, we drove through Germany on the autobahn over to Nurburgring. Did a 2 day driver training program on the F1 track at Nurburgring. It is a five star experience, if you can manage it into your schedule you won't regret it. They are repeating this offer again in April '07. Any of the models qualify - including Ms. Bony's new C70!!

Rex