SCT Engine Management

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Having just purchased and installed Ford's Rear Exit Header exhaust system, I definitely needed some engine management changes since I am no longer running catalytic converters.

By far the most popular (for good reason) tuning software for the Ford environment is provided by SCT.

Briefly explained/summarized, they have several "tools" available to you, the consumer, based on your skills and what you are looking for.

1. You can go to a SCT Authorized Dealer and have them perform a tune for you. A tune might be as simple or complex as you need. A "tune" can be simply comprised of a few adjustments to idle rpm values or as complex as a whole tune across the rpm range using a dyno to run the car under load conditions. Once developed and downloaded, a tune fundamentally changes the internal programming of your on-board ECU.

2. You can purchase a physical programmer device called the Xcalibrator2. This Xcalibrator can hold three different "tunes". Only an authorized dealer (*) can load a tune into your Xcalibrator. With this method, you can change tunes on your own. In my example, my tuner provided two "tunes". The first tune is a completely stock tune except that it supresses the triggering of a Check Engine Light (CEL) based on poor catalytic efficiency. With this tune, I can run without catalytic converters and the car will run fine and I will have no CEL's. The second tune is a customization that my SCT dealer (Muscle Motors) developed on an identical GT with the Rear Exit Header system installed. Undoubtedly this tune took a few hours of dyno time to develop and it is the IP of the dealer, i.e., it has value and must be purchased.

3. Finally, in addition to the Xcalibrator2 programming device, you, as an individual can purchase the software to develpop your own tunes. You would develop them and then use the Xcalibrator2 device to load them to your ECU. There's some heavy caution here. With this software, you are more than cabable to easily blow your engine if you do not know what you are doing. Personally, I have quite a bit of engine management tuning experience (although relatively little on Fords), but I have a close friend with in-depth tuning knowledge and SCT experience. Although I haven't purchased this software yet, I plan to.

As far as I am aware, both Heffner and HP Performance (each having a GT twin turbo kit in development) are using the SCT tools. Frankly, this was one of the biggest deciding factors in me getting the GT over the Gallardo. My previous tuning experience was on an Acura NSX with a piggy-back ECU system. Having done that (and being one of the few that did it successfully), I can tell you that it is a real blessing to have direct ECU management capability as we all have with the GT. Very mod friendly!