Sale of Aston Martin

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
Here is a project worthy of the talents of GTJoey: Ford is considering selling Aston Martin. Imagine if all of the GT Forum members got together and bought Aston Martin! Then once we have control of the factory we can stop racing Aston Martins at LeMans and switch over to GTs. In the meantime, the design team would be working on the next gen GT. :banana

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060831/bs_nm/autos_ford_astonmartin_dc_6

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
:biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
why not buy the Ford GT? :wink

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
aston

I just sold my DB9. It is a beautiful car, but not very well put together. When I complained about the rattles, they explained that it was hand built. It was an excellent opportunity to tell them that that is not it. I have another hand built "Ford" that has no rattles!! GT BABY!

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
DB9

I guess there may be some good reasons why Ford has been unable to turn Aston around. IMO the DB9 is one of the sexiest cars on the planet, right up there with the GT. The difference in attitude probably starts at the factory. Anyone who had the opportunity to visit Saleen and Wixom can attest to the quality of the workers. Is GTJoey missing his calling as a motivational speaker? Can he turn Aston Martin around and succeed where the Ford family is failing? Stay tuned... :cheers

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
ALL I NEED IS FOR ONE OF THEM , ANYONE OF THEM TO CALL, 1 516 334 4900 EXT 214 ......... :thumbsup IM SO PUMPED ON FORD THAT IF YOU LOOK AT THE REAL FUTURE , WITH ALL THEY OWN SINCE GRANDPA THAT YES IT Can and will happen. edsal/bill my cell is 1 516 524 3077 enjoy :thumbsup

kosupply

Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
They need a little GTJOEY fresh blood! Star Motorcars is the Aston dealer and the oldest Mercedes dealer in Houston. Their Aston Service Department is separate from the Mercedes Service Department. Aston Martin employs their service personnell and willl not pay them what the Mercedes techs are paid. No wonder they can not keep people. Joey....talk to them !!

Viper 1

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Aston Martin Sale

Just so everyone is clear Aston Martin is turned around. Thats why Ford is looking at selling it. Am actually makes money. AM sold 4500 cars last year which is the most in history. They are the only profitable part of the Ford Premier auto group. Jag et. al lost about 162 million last quarter. Aston is doing fine with their new products and and is attractive to buyers at this point. Thats why they are looking at selling it.
I have a Vantage V8 arriving next month so we'll see how well they are put together then. The demos I have driven have all been flawless. I'll hope for the best.

Ken

Lgaruti

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Seminole, Fl
I've got to agree with Ken. Our 06' DB9 feels tight, no rattles and handels great for a touring car. AM makes a good auto.
Having said that, the GT is better from the fun to drive aspect.

If I could only have one it would be the GT.

Larry

Viper 1

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Aston Martin Sale

And I agree with you Larry. I would never give up the GT for an Aston or anything else.
Ken

kosupply

Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
They gave me a AMV8 to drive when my DB9 was in for service....had the same creaks and rattles. Our roads are awful in Houston though

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Aston Martin is turned around, which is why they are selling it. As well as the fact that they have very little into it compared to the bloodsucking death machine that is Jaguar. Volvo is also very profitable, though they don't report P.A.G's individual unit results. Consider that AM sold 42 (no, I did not forget a digit) cars two years before Ford took control, and they sold the aforementioned 4500 units last year. They've never been in better shape, or built better cars.

I spent a day with a DB9. Absolutely stunningly beautiful car. Horrid paddle shift, but who cares? It's sex on wheels, has a wonderful sounding V12, and makes you feel like James Bond. It'll be sad to see A.M go, only because Ford did such a fantastic job bringing the magic back to that wonderful brand.

People want to read too much into Jag. It's problems are pretty transparent, and can't be fixed by enthusiasm alone. Way too much capacity, way too much investment in technology the base doesn't care about, and expansion into a market it could never compete have killed it.

Jag spent billions retooling to build aluminum bodied sedans that are brilliant to drive compared to the old cars, but people who buy Jag's said "so what"? Jag drivers don't care about weight, or how it goes 'round the bend. At least not like Audi A8 drivers do. The cars are quiet, serene, smooth and comfortable. But so were the old cars. And they look almost identical ( I say this having had an 05 XJ8 L). Whoops. If you're going to spend a 10 figure sum on a new car, you had better make people take notice of it.

They had 3 plants operating with practically triple the capacity they were utilizing, in a brutal currency market with tremendous raw material and labor costs. They closed (most of) Browns Lane, and had to retool and update at an untold cost to build the new product elsewhere.

And then there was the X-type, the silk purse from the nylon Mondeo wallet. Oh X-Type. Nice car, bad decision. Jaguar was never going to be BMW, selling 3 series to the masses. And now they are paying, in more ways than one, for that decision.

This stuff won't be fixed easily or quickly unless someone immediately finds a cure for 80 years of reputation for shoddy British reliability from a niche marque, ENORMOUS raw material costs (I can't adequately articulate how ****ED Jag and FoMoCo in general are by this currently. It's the single biggest challenge they face day-to-day right now, and it's a real bitch to fix, as anyone in mfg knows), and a way to absorb a gigantic amount of poorly placed but well intentioned capital expenditures. I.E No quick fix.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
YEAH, WHAT DBK SAID, DBK GIVE ME A BUZZ, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN.......GTJOEY 1314 :thumbsup

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I suspect Ford are testing the markets a little bit - however it would be a great shame if AML were sold as Ford has reinvigorated the marque.

From memory, in 1994 Aston sold just 42 cars - scary huh?!

I think the current engines come from Jaguar and/or other Ford divisions (cosworth etc), so that might be an interesting wrinkle.

flyingsniffer

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Hertfordshire, Essex
Neilda said:
I think the current engines come from Jaguar and/or other Ford divisions (cosworth etc), so that might be an interesting wrinkle.

No, the current DB9 engines are built in Cologne: early cars had Cosworth engines. Cosworth is now NOT part of Ford.

The engine source will be and 'overcomeable' part of the deal. The Range Rover 4.4 engine is still (IIUC) a BMW unit!

A friend of mine is an engineer at Aston, having been a Ford man all his life. I'll ask him for the inside track.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
They should sale it to BMW, who would probably make it profitable as they have done with Rolls Royce and Mini Cooper!

flyingsniffer

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Hertfordshire, Essex
AtomicGT said:
They should sale it to BMW, who would probably make it profitable as they have done with Rolls Royce and Mini Cooper!

Err, they didn't do so well with Rover over here in the UK.

In the end they "sold" MG and Rover to a bunch of crooks (who spent the moeny and went bust, as the whole industry said they would), Land Rover to Ford and kept Mini for themselves.

As many have said, AM is profitable already - hence why FoMoCo would contemplate selling it rather than the other basket cases they own. Sorry, I don't buy the "BMW could sprinkle magic pixie dust" line.

Here's one I could never figure out: it's common knowledge that the X-Type chassis is based on Mondeo's. Why the heck didn't they put out the line that Mondeo was based on the new Jaguar? If ever there was a PR-cockup, that's it for me!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I thought the engine for the new V8 was a Jaguar engine....

But you're right, it's a soluble issue. I'm a great fan of Astons (old and new) and admire what Ford have done - amazed actually.