Safety harness

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I would like to install a 5/6 pt harness but would it even be effective without going 'through' the seat bottom? If it goes 'over' the front of the bottom it's a long ways from the General. I think damage from 'submarining' would be done by the time I hit the harness. Or is it primarily intended to keep the lap belt down?
And, where can I get the install kit?
Thanks,
Rob

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Wally Rust made some very nice harness bars for the firewall. They were under the GT 40 name, the same as the engine caps someone was looking for a while back. Wally is an executive with AutoZone. He was in California for a long time and moved, I think, to Tennessee. He has not participated here for Many years and j don't know if he still has his GT. Many of us got them. Presuming you want removable lap/crotch belts, many of us bought Brey-Krause mounting brackets used for Porsches. The seats need to come out and a slightly longer bolt sourced. The crotch strap goes from the brackets on the side to under your rump and then. Under your legs to in between your legs and into the harness clip. Nothing has to come from under your seat. Numerous companies make belts of various configurations. Mine are Safecraft (the same guys that make the fire suppression system for the GT). I don't think they make belts anymore. If you will be running sanctioned events, the belts will only be good for three years whether you use them or not. The 2 inch belts are better for using a HANS device.

Reactions: ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
0D93A598-F6C5-4E72-AEEE-94BF1CF9B0C8.jpeg7CB0CA51-54CE-4503-8786-E5EE3EA6050A.jpeg

Here’s what you need. Unfortunately my stuff is now well over 10 years old. Not tracking my 2005 anymore. Removed when car was refurbed by Rich.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
They can be recertified with new belt material and stitching, right?

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
You use six-point, and tie the crotch straps back to same anchor as the lap belts. The crotch belts then go under your thighs and up to the camlock. There’s been many posts about this and several companies offer the parts, although the billet bulkhead piece is the hard part - I got mine from Stormcat a long time ago

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
OK, now it makes sense, thanks. Now to find the install parts.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Back in lets say around 2006 when prepping the 05 GT for some track use, I called HMS motorsports, they are the US importer of Scroth. They told me, unless the sub belts are down through the seat and anchored as intended, you are better off with simply 4 point. I can't remember all the details.

And nope, you get new ones. No one that I know of re webs and certifies belts.

They can be recertified with new belt material and stitching, right?

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
These guys made the belts with the GT40 camlocks that some of us bought back in the day.
Got some for my GT500 last year.
Heard he was going to be retiring soon.
They will certify their belts

Reactions: 2112

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Mine are Crow 11142-6PR, with the mounting brackets from LPI Racing. You need to use BKR-9001, BKR-9003, and BKR- 9004 mounting kits for a Porsche. Then you will have to ever-so-slightly relieve the brackets to allow both lap belt and crotch belt clips to fit at the same time time

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
pics of both the long and short B-K brackets to which the lap and crotch belts attach.

6E8B64EB-959A-4DC6-9BD8-DDADAF17C3CC.jpeg061CBF6D-1E01-4A73-9B09-FADAD9BE4B91.jpeg

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I'm confused. One statement, "through the seat bottom", the other, "under thigh and back to hip mount". Is it the difference between 5 and 6pt? 5 would have to go through the seat bottom. 6 could go either way.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
It depends on your cam lock buckle. The bottom spaces are either for one belt or two belts., two spaces for a six point, one space for a five point. I don't know anyone that uses a 5 point. The six point belts sit between the top of the bottom seat cushion and your rump and back of thigh. It then comes up between your legs and hooks into the cam lock. You literally sit on the belt. It is true that a six point should run under the seat and through a hole in the bottom of the seat, but I doubt you want to cut your bottom seat cushion for it to exit. The new GT does have the proper hole in the bottom seat cushion and mounting brackets for the crotch belts. This is an extra cost option that cannot be added at a later date because it is molded into the tub.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
It depends on your cam lock buckle. The bottom spaces are either for one belt or two belts., two spaces for a six point, one space for a five point. I don't know anyone that uses a 5 point. The six point belts sit between the top of the bottom seat cushion and your rump and back of thigh. It then comes up between your legs and hooks into the cam lock. You literally sit on the belt. It is true that a six point should run under the seat and through a hole in the bottom of the seat, but I doubt you want to cut your bottom seat cushion for it to exit. The new GT does have the proper hole in the bottom seat cushion and mounting brackets for the crotch belts. This is an extra cost option that cannot be added at a later date because it is molded into the tub.
Thanks for clarification. I have a Sawsall!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Wally is still in SoCal and working for Autozone. Don Wagner has always been a close friend to him and still sells the harness bar and belts. His website is www.fordgtparts.com

As others have pointed out, you can still have a crotch belt (safer but sometimes uncomfortable) with a V-shaped configuration. The legs of the V are attached to the brackets just outside the hips and then the center part comes between your legs and goes into the camlock. You basically lay this configuration out before sitting down into the seat.

With only a 4-pt, it is possible, it is possible for the body to slip down through the lap belt... which is not a good thing. With the 5/6 point, this cannot happen. The boys may not be happy, but you have a lesser chance of major injury!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
The www.fordgtparts.com website went offline about 3 weeks ago.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Au contraire on the six-points, Frank. They were developed for seats that don’t have the slot for a five-point crotch strap. They’re meant to go under your manly thighs

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The www.fordgtparts.com website went offline about 3 weeks ago.

Let me find our what's happening. Just spoke to Don a few days ago....

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Don is working on the website problem now. If you need harness bars and/or belts, send him an email at dwagner302@yahoo.com

Despite the Crow moved out of California, Don has maintained a good relationship with them and still gets belts/harness with the very latest timestamps.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
If you’re thinking that you need a 5 or 6 point harness, you won’t be using the OE GT seat. And you should buy a real race car to go with it.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If you Google Wally you will see he is in Memphis. The website shows stuff for Miatas and Porsches.