Safelite experience.......

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
While I don't plan to track my low mileage FGT very much, my long racing career demanded I do at least a couple fun track days. In another post I showed a recent pic at AutoClub Speedway.....a very fun day driving the road course and high bank. I knew not to get too up close behind other vehicles, but somehow, two laps into the first session of the day I noticed a rock chip and crack on the windshield, maybe 3/8" long. Bummer, and we all know about the complexity of new glass.

I know Safelite doesn't seem to have such a good reputation around here, but I figured I'd give it a try. I thought it couldn't make things worse....right? And that was my first question. Well, I was told about 1 in a 1000 windshields just totally explode during their process, but, if that doesn't happen it's an excellent structural repair, and a decent cosmetic repair. So, the cost was $50 (plus tip if you're happy) and they come to your house. The repair took about 30 minutes, and the result is such that I can barely barely even see it anymore, and of course no one else would be able to find it at all.

So, I'm pretty satisfied.....just one data point.......

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Better than taking apart the front end of the car!

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Ross that's good to hear.
I wish my "crack" would have been that small to give it a try instead of having to replace my windshield.
BTW, if you ever need to get a new one, have it done at Galpin.

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Good stuff. You must be relieved that you didn't have to go through a complete change.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Yeah, I felt pretty good about that.

Kevin, they said they can do cracks that are many inches long, how long was yours? You were happy with the mechanics at Galpin?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I've had a few windshields repaired by Safelite when I lived in Arizona aka the land of a million highway pebbles. They usually say if the crack can be covered by a dollar bill, it can be repaired. I've had a repair that was 99% flawless and I've had ones that still look like crap but prevent crack propagation. I would certainly give it a try on the GT should it ever happen just because of the labor and cost involved to replace it, but I wouldn't be happy about it knowing it will more than likely still be visible.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Love to hear about your racing career!
Thats coming from a wanna be !

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Yeah, I felt pretty good about that.

Kevin, they said they can do cracks that are many inches long, how long was yours? You were happy with the mechanics at Galpin?

My chip happened when I drove to Rally IV in Austin. So a day on the track and the drive back created a long and winding crack.

Galpin has one particular GT certified mechanic that is very good. Ask Kendall. At the time he had done a number of GT windshields and takes an incredible amount of care in order to perform the switch per factory specs.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Kevin....that's good to know.

roketman....just a long long largely amateur career in SCCA. I always ran the class that was most populated at the time, never understood the bang in winning a race of 3 cars. Started in FV for a few years, up to 55 car fields, but outgrew it, 6'2" and 230lbs.....but did win two regional and a Pro championship. Then a bit of FF. Then a few years in SR, which is now SRF, a very cool class to this day, won a few races and set a forever track record at Riverside. Ran a couple pro races, one even had an ex-F1 driver entered cause he thought it was easy prize money, $5k for a win in the middle 80s, not bad. Then I got to do testing in an Indy-car developing a special helmet with a head-up display. Then recently just for kicks to see if I still had anything left I ran 6 races in a Pro 7 (all Gen 1 RX7s).... won 3 (AutoClub and Willow), two 3rds on a new track to me, and a DNF......and I went back into retirement.....thanks for asking!

Last edited:

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Nice racing creds! Congratulations.

Also, great car collection!

My Safelite experience - fortunately not on the GT - was not so good. Repair didn't work, and the "technician" elaborated by saying "see" and pressing on the crack, making it grow to about 3x what it was. Great! I'm supposed to get my $50 back on a future repair, but I'm not so sure I'll try Safelite again.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Thanks. Yeah, my guy kind of said on very rare occasion it doesn't "take", but still $50 compared to ???? for FGT glass? And having your car pulled apart? Well, I just wanted to give one story where I think it worked pretty well....but I hear ya....

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I'm just had my windshield replaced & I'm not happy. It is now positioned too far out. The fenders & front lid almost touch it.

Ed

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
How is that even possible? I just measured 1/4" clearance.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
It's being redone. I hope it will be better.

Ed

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Kevin....that's good to know.

roketman....just a long long largely amateur career in SCCA. I always ran the class that was most populated at the time, never understood the bang in winning a race of 3 cars. Started in FV for a few years, up to 55 car fields, but outgrew it, 6'2" and 230lbs.....but did win two regional and a Pro championship. Then a bit of FF. Then a few years in SR, which is now SRF, a very cool class to this day, won a few races and set a forever track record at Riverside. Ran a couple pro races, one even had an ex-F1 driver entered cause he thought it was easy prize money, $5k for a win in the middle 80s, not bad. Then I got to do testing in an Indy-car developing a special helmet with a head-up display. Then recently just for kicks to see if I still had anything left I ran 6 races in a Pro 7 (all Gen 1 RX7s).... won 3 (AutoClub and Willow), two 3rds on a new track to me, and a DNF......and I went back into retirement.....thanks for asking!

Sounds like you were able to keep the fun in it too. Well done.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Wow someone else here that has driven an SR and SRF..... If you are not aware, the Gen 3 motor is just coming out, I have not driven it yet, but should be a HUGE upgrade to the now very old chassis. Loss of weight, and increased power. I have owned mine since 93...

Great to know, on the repair.

On the windshield front, I have for 3 years now been trying to get Clearplex on the GT. 1st 2 years NO ONE in our area did it. Now there is a rep, but really still no one likes to install it. Too labor intensive. In MA we have comprehensive glass coverage, so everyone has the mentality of, meh, its covered who cares.....

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Yeah SCCA is doing a pretty good job with this class. The new motor will really keep it interesting as the cars will be faster, and lots of new track records. An upgraded car from the eighties is still competitive today, so your purchase investment is fairly safe....very cost-effective class. And with big fields you'll always have someone to race, cause without that you'll never learn to go really fast. Never understood the guys that always take home a trophy in a class with 3 or 4 cars.

Wwabbit, thanks, it was fun. I didn't mention that I built a brand new SRF last year, number 871....for my son. Building the car was a blast. But weird thing is the head guy, Erik, is trying to steer the class away from home-builders. He told me he didn't think I could do it, even though I had already built one in the 80s? Duh. Mike Davies, the head tech guy, is a friend of mine, and I guess we talked him into it. It was nothing but fun. Mike Miserendino, the 4x National Champion, is now driving that car, including the runoffs, and has already won numerous races.....so there Erik!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Yeah nothing like starting in the Florida nationals at Sebring with 90+. Maybe Erik doesn't like the phone calls for tech support to assemble the car, by under qualified people. I built mine as well, and have also done all prep and transport.

Sorry for the thread deviation.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Once it's in your blood ,tough to give up!
Don't know if I could ever stop

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Specracer.....they wouldn't get as many calls if they still had an accurate assembly manual. They lost it a long time ago in a fire. I even offered to re-create it for them during my most recent build but Erik seemed uninterested. The old xerox one is full of mistakes and inaccuracies. I don't understand that at all....building and maintaining your own car is in the DNA of this class.....from long before Erik was even involved.....whatever....just hope he doesn't mess up a good thing.