Rumormill: Dodge Challenger SS drag car weeks away

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"Just like in the '60s, some people will take their new 2008 Dodge Challengers to the drags. Chrysler is reportedly ready to make this very easy for new Challenger owners. Allpar is reporting that within a few weeks, there will issue forth from Chrysler a Super Stock special version of the Challenger. The intended application is Stock Eliminator drag racing, and the cars get their own VINs and lots of lightening. Powering drivers down the strip will be versions of the Hemi and 5.9 liter Magnum V8s, twisting through manual or automatic boxes.

Jettisoning things like wipers, HVAC, sound deadening and seats make for a Challenger that's definitely not road-ready, but much lighter for track applications. 800 pounds have reportedly been trimmed out of the car through the omission of equipment and special composite body parts. Mechanicals have been modified to better suit the use, too. The main body unit gets tweaks, and the front crossmember is modified to a drop-out unit. Front brakes are largely unnecessary when the nose is in the air for part of the run, so lightweight units have been fitted. The fascia support and cooling system also get the slim-fast treatment. More information will supposedly arrive soon, but a 1,320-pounding neo-E body pony car appears close at hand."

[Source: Allpar]

Hmmmmmmm. Now, 'don't' this jus' make yur barn dance...

Further rumor is the car will be offered with a 500hp, 6.4 litre (392 cu in )Hemi 'stedda the 6.1 /425 currently offered.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Pockets you are on the west coast so it is still April 1st. If you were on EST the post would be in error!

Thursday

May 31, 2006
The HIVE
I think it could be a good untapped market, just like the Raptor if they do it right.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Pockets you are on the west coast so it is still April 1st. If you were on EST the post would be in error!

Actually, 'ICE, I first heard about the SS from our local dealer about a month ago. From what he said (and it was all just inter-dealer rumor at that time), the car would be kinda like the old "radio/heater delete" cars we bought in the 60's, remember? No "air", no "nav", no "sun roof", etc., etc. BUT! The impression I got was it WOULD BE streetable right out of the factory.

Well, reading the above article, it appears "streetable" might be a bit of a stretch ...w/o a large infusion of additional cash to make it happen.

So, I'm just gunna sit back in the weeds and see how all this shakes out.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
FYI, I have also heard from a very very reliable source that there is a AAR version also in the works.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
I'd be more interested the AAR version...same lightening, but with huge brakes, room for 11" wide wheels all around, coilovers, oil/trans/diff/ps coolers, and it's own SCCA racing series.

The "SS" moniker on a Mopar is just wrong, though.