RPM Limiter?

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
Does anyone know if the ECU limits the engine RPMs at any point to prevent an significant over rev event?

wonkawonka

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Lebanon
Yes, around 7000 rpm. It's actually very easy to hit the rev limiter on the track if you're not careful. The engine revvs up quickly!

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Interesting question, based on the tach on my car its 6,500 and it cuts off. Based on the Dyno run info its 6,600/6,700 and the fuel shuts off.

I believe its a fuel cut off not a rev limiter.

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
That is very interesting because on my qtr mile run, I went to about 6,600 to 6,650 before shifting to third (my error) (11.8 at 124mph). Any thoughts on how we could find out for sure?

AMER SPD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
I understand the GT's have a 4000 RPM limit for the first 3 miles. After that I'm not sure but I've sent some of my contact the question and should hear from them next week.

AMER SPD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
Rev Limiter

Saber,

This was was just shared with me. I hope it helps.

The engine rpm limiting is controlled by software contained within the Powertrain control module. The software program turns off the fuel injectors, thus limiting engine RPM. The strategy is programmed to shut off the fuel injectors at 6,600 RPM. The strategy also has the capability to limit RPM to 4000 - 4500 RPM if a fault is detected in the fuel system that would prevent safe operation to the normal redline.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Amer Spd

Thanks for the info

Dave

VIN1591

GT Owner
Oct 27, 2005
Easton, MA
When I first drove my car at the dealership it was cutting out just as I would start to shift into second gear. My initial though was, "damn problems right from the start -- typical exotic sports car". But, I was wrong.

Now, I believe what was happening was the revs were bumping up against the initial rev limiter setting (4000-4500 rpm range appears about right). The salesperson mentioned that the electronics are setup as described in the earlier post for let's say 3 miles. But, the 3 miles need to be continuous operation. So, even though my car was delivered with 10 miles on the odometer, it must not have been driven for 3 continuous miles (resets each time the car is shut off until the threshold is reached). Apparently once the 3 continuous mile threshold is reached the initial rev limiter disappears forever.

This all appears plausible since I hadn't bumped up against the any rev limited until last night which was right about red line.

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
AMER SPD said:
Saber,

This was was just shared with me. I hope it helps.

The engine rpm limiting is controlled by software contained within the Powertrain control module. The software program turns off the fuel injectors, thus limiting engine RPM. The strategy is programmed to shut off the fuel injectors at 6,600 RPM. The strategy also has the capability to limit RPM to 4000 - 4500 RPM if a fault is detected in the fuel system that would prevent safe operation to the normal redline.

AMER SPD,
Thanks for the information. This data should have been included in the operators manual!

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
saber said:
AMER SPD,
Thanks for the information. This data should have been included in the operators manual!

There is a whole lot more that should have been included in the owners manual... like the break in limitations and ecu performance on the first 150 miles, more technical info on the maxx recommended shifting revvs and so on... It looks like who ever wrote the manual, is somehow frigid about this beast turned reality.... Strange, if this is ' the one' they should find somehow more enthusiastic staffers in good ol (maybe somehow depressed) FoMoCo ! :rofl Any one in this forum would have done a much better job editor on that one, before finalized...

Last edited:

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
The purpose of the owners manual is to protect FoMoCo from law suits. Once you understand its purpose you then realize that it is not to inform an owner or anyone else of what they may feel is important. Thus fuel cut-off, and other items are not of importance in the owners manual.

But reminding people about seat belts and the dangers of driving in the rain are important from a legal point of view.

Dave

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
customer care and vehicle info

sorry, understood... I thought they would somehow share the many interesting secrets with the first hand owners at least..

But a legend like this deserves a bit more techy info to be shared with the proud owners. Shortly after I got my Challenge Stradale, I was sent a letter signed from Montezemolo, congratulating me on the choice and that only a few were to share this exceptional driver experience, and I was twice phoned up and asked in an interview questionaire type conversation if everything was to my satisfaction and how and what I enjoyed most.. Shouldn't FoMO or the SVT do something like this aswell ?

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Stefan

For early buyers, meaning those who had their car delayed by the suspension recall, Ford sent letters and a special print of a GT that is eminently suitable for framing.

I can only say they were quite nice and seemed to be genuinely concerned about the problems.

Dave

6,500RPM cut-off

Just to add more data to the pool. I have hit the rev-limit three times in first gear, while demonstrating the performance to friends. Obviously, I'm not a very talented driver:wink. Each time it happened, I looked at the tach and it was at 6,500rpm. Nice to have a supercar that is Idiot Proof!:banana