route 66 recomendations

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
Guys, I’m looking for some recommendations. My father is coming over to join me for the trip to the rally. We are going to try and do the route 66 thing from LA to Detroit. Any recommendations as to sites and stops we really shouldn‘t miss would be greatly appreciated. In typical last minute fashion this should make finding room at the inn quite an adventure to boot!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Can't answer your question, sorry. But,... sounds like a great trip, I lost my Dad ten years ago and never had the chance to make a run like you are about to embark on. Have a safe, great time, enjoy each other's company. :cheers

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Do it on the way back, not going. The St. Louis leg will tie you up in downtown due to construction. The St. Louis - Chicago portion is in fanatastic shape if you use portions of I-55.

H

HHGT

biffom said:
Guys, I’m looking for some recommendations. My father is coming over to join me for the trip to the rally. We are going to try and do the route 66 thing from LA to Detroit. Any recommendations as to sites and stops we really shouldn‘t miss would be greatly appreciated. In typical last minute fashion this should make finding room at the inn quite an adventure to boot!

The only brutal part is 66 through the Tri-state desert, especiall off the 40 Hwy. Make sure you drive it early in the a.m. - Perhaps as early as setting off at 3:00 a.m. and hitting one of the many dinners for breakfast. The heat has been unbearable. Curious if you are not trailering and there is 2 of you, what are you doing for an overnighter (clothes etc.)

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
I'm going to fedex some luggage to the hotel and we will then be traveling as light as possible.

I drove back from Tennessee (after picking the car up) and found that it was reasonably comfortable in the passenger seat having a small bag beneath one's legs. I did have to wear a sports jacket for the entire trip though, as there was simply nowhere to put it.

Thanks for the tips re the Tri-State desert and St Louis.

I now need to get my butt in gear and get the amp wired up. I've had it disconnected and languishing behind the passenger seat for the last few months.

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
If you go up to big bear, the north side coming down is a nice twisty and empty road. But not really sure where 66 is in relation to barstow.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Biffom, I bought a stick-on hook at Walgreens, pneumatic, for $3. The hook hangs a little low, but I hung three shirts on hangers on the back window without blocking any rearward view. My clothes are all mediums. I continue to search for something with a smaller hook.

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Biffom,
I just booked my rooms at the ritz last week. There are rooms available there. Just give 'em a call

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
MDT said:
If you go up to big bear, the north side coming down is a nice twisty and empty road. But not really sure where 66 is in relation to barstow.

I've done that Big Bear trip in a roadster and it is one of my favorite local roads - it used to remind me of the Alps (that was until I saw the awesome Alpine photos recent posted...).

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
Picked up a sat nav thang, got the amp reconnected (and stowed behind the passenger seat), fresh batteries in the radar/laser detector, just need to pick up the old man tomorrow, whittle his luggage down and we'll be off.

Thanks for all the tips and pm's.

See you in Detroit!