Rotors and pads

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I think its much better with the inter cooler mod.B4 the mod it over heated at normal ambient temps.
Andy ,how hot was it when we went to N.H?? Not even close to the extreme heat at The Glen this past week. I shall try to get a hold of T.R. and see what he says on the subject.
I am going to try the front airfoils .D.Z. seems to feel adamantly that they work ,That's good enough for me.
Oh by the way did I tell you about the rotors ?? Its the the combo of rotors ,pads and fluid that make it work .

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
It was pretty hot at NH that day, and NH is tough becasue there is so little running room.

And Yes Ron's "intercooler mod" is the intercooler is cut and shrunk to allow more air past into the radiator.

Here is a pic of the modified intercooler that Rich sent to Ron that Ron forwarded to me during the processs, see how about 1/3 of the cooling fins are removed:

Attachments

• IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 227

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I would like to see some aero options, and I really appreciate all the input from you guys that spend way more time on the track. Kip had some info on this if I remember from our discussions, and other team members may have more data from their testing.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Kip,Tom ,Alex
can you help???

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California

Yep, read it again and as I remember it. The car simply overheats and Forum members claim that they were aware of it in testing, but not enough development time to really solve the problem. Nowadays there are lots of little fixes that really don't resolve the underlying problem.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Good news there is a fix in the works !! Stay tuned !The fix will happen over the winter
Don't tell anyone .Thats allI can say !!!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Good news there is a fix in the works !! Stay tuned !The fix will happen over the winter

roketboy - you Already talked to Santa?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I love that guy they call Santa!!!!

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Rocketman

I think you should gethold of a data logger.
And document this high temp problem. Before and after changes are made.
So you can put solid measurements on a system change.
And not have to relay on subjective gut feel.

I have recently been using a system from MSD.

http://www.racepak.com/Road_Racing/index.php

The G2X is low buck deal that is easy to install and use (if you like to study a bit).
(is harder than programming my DVR).

Any one else ever use a racing data collection system?

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Hi Ron - thanks for all the kind words but we’ll have to see who is faster on the track after I transition to the Pagid yellow pads :wink
Yes, while we were at the track it was hot, very hot!
Daytime temperatures were high 90s (above 95), track temperatures were well above 110 so this was some of the high extreme conditions needed to test out our changes.
My car stayed below 220 and only hit 225 on one occasion.
As I explained earlier Bob Ida and I went back to the full size intercooler radiator on my car along with several other changes and still my engine temperatures never exceeded 225.
So, it looks like we finally have the necessary solutions in hand that will cure the climbing engine temperatures.
Your car will have most of the latest things Bob has to offer by the time you make the trip to Texas. In Texas you are sure to see high ambient temperatures so it will be a good test for these changes.
After Texas your car will only differ from my car in two ways (the intercooler radiator and the exhaust).
As you know Bob Ida’s exhaust offers some heat reduction benefits but the other changes may be significant enough for you to fully enjoy the track time in Texas without the high coolant temperatures.
Bob Ida is working on several other ideas that may pan out to help cars with larger Whipple supercharges and should lower our car temperatures even more plus some of the next ideas may also be effective for every day driving (more on this later).
In closing I have to thank Bob Ida for his determination, continuous support and tremendous help finding long term solutions to the issues that afflict our cars on the street and on the track.
Looking forward to our next track event together (let’s shoot for 4 or more GT’s next time, perhaps we can convince Gino to drive his GT instead of the Mustang).

Last edited:

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
So, it looks like we finally have the necessary solutions in hand that will cure the climbing engine temperatures.

Hi, I am probably being stupid here and just missed it, but what were the solutions that worked? You said that you put back the full size intercooler, and I thought that is what you had done to solve the temp problems. Again, I apologize it's probably obvious to everyone else.
Thanks.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The smaller intercooler ,brake ducts , the tune that turns the fans on earlier,The wicker bill , removal of the front o5 grill and removal of the fan grill . There is more in the works as well.Stay tuned

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ

Any updated news on this project?

RE: High engine temperatures.