Rocky Mountain High in 4 GTs – a post by Bob, Nick, Kev & Pro.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Road tripping in these cars is SO much fun!! I totally get why Camilo spends his days traversing the country in his GT. We had such a great time in California (http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14555) that we just HAD to do another Road Trip!! This one took us through the Rocky Mountains and into the British Columbia interior for a 3 (which turned into 4) day mountain run with FOUR GT’s and some accompanying Porsches. About 1550 miles (2500 kms) in total.

We started by stopping to check out a couple of dealers in Calgary and their automotive exotica. We saw an Enzo, TWO F40’s, a bunch of Lambo’s, a Carrera GT, a Maserati MC12 and a Saleen S7. There was also a gorgeous Midnight Blue GT with 19/20 Dymags on it, of course sporting the mandatory Exoticare Seat Bling. And another Heritage, this one with the new Girodisc Brake discs fitted that are a full FIVE pounds lighter PER DISC!!! Wow. Nice!! Can you imagine the unsprung weight advantage of those in conjunction with the Dymags?!!! Nice!!! Then, with our supercar juices flowing, it was off to the mountains.

FGT1987 (Bob) came out from Vancouver on the West Coast and met up with us at the idyllic Earl Grey Lodge mountain resort in Panorama and from there, our driving adventures began anew.

We had some fantastic scenery, terrific mountain pass roads, and GREAT company. We had hoped to also meet up with FlorIdahoChris and catch a glimpse of his Camilo/Heffner beast, but due to the fact that Chris was in Florida and not in Idaho, that didn’t work so well :frown. We did meet up with another friend (Ben with an 850whp 911 turbo) who has local knowledge of the roads and at the conclusion of our Needles Ferry ride we had a BLAST down the mountain toward Kelowna. Wowie, Ben can drive the wheels off his car!!! It’s a beast!!! Even in the rain with 1400 foot vertical drops calling out like a siren song!!! My bald tires didn’t hold me back THAT much (wheel spin from each corner was rather exhilarating :eek and my seat buttons may well be slightly ‘ovalized’ now :rofl), but Bob with his new Bridgestone’s was absolutely ecstatic!!! Bob and I each used up a half tank of gas in going a total of just 85 miles from Needles to Vernon and so I’ve got to assume the other guys did too! Bob even managed to sweet talk his way out of a ticket!!! Now THAT’S hospitality from the local constabulary!! :cheers

Anyway, I can now happily throw away my old tires knowing that they’re all used up!!! The Dymags with Bridgestone rubber are going back on my car this weekend and I’ll have my Hoosiers mounted up to my stock BBS rims. :thumbsup!

So, here’s a few pics from the trip. I'll post a few more once I get a better handle on how to work my new Mac. Thanks to our co-pilots for all the rolling shots which I will post (along with great Video clip) once Nick sends them to me. Hope you enjoy the pictures as much as we enjoyed the driving to get them.

Attachments

• 3945694306_39e30537e3.jpg
    3945694306_39e30537e3.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 534
  • 3944946801_73f691cfc5.jpg
    3944946801_73f691cfc5.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 543
  • 3945717626_82ab32136c.jpg
    3945717626_82ab32136c.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 534
  • 3944909521_d668346e0e.jpg
    3944909521_d668346e0e.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 541
  • 3944916941_65d4c64bdc.jpg
    3944916941_65d4c64bdc.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Beautiful pics! Next time you close to Floridaho Chris' swing buy, I'm only about 25 miles away.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Thanks Steve. Honestly, I didn't even look to see who else was close to where we were going. My fault, sorry. Next time for sure. And there WILL be a next time, and a time after that and more. When I got the car, I never imagined I'd put the sort of miles I am onto her. Driving it is just SO MUCH FUN!!!!

Phil

GT Owner
Sep 14, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Wow..that's awesome. Please count me in next time as well!!

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Great pics. Awesome scenery and the cars were not so bad either. :lol

There is not many driving things that are more fun than getting a few GT's together. :thumbsup :cheers

UFO74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 17, 2008
Ft. Myers, FL
Great story and pictures. Please keep them coming.

UFO/Al

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
WOW, beautiful photos. Thanks for posting!

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
All the woulda coulda shoulda's, it's a shame Gord (Yellow/black) [Gordo], Sandro (Tungsten/stripe), Don (Tungsten no stripe) [CanadaGT] and Rob (White/blue) [GTforme] couldn't join us. Plus Dominic whose Midnight Blue we saw in Calgary, we could've had the whole colour gamut on the run with us. C'est la vie. We'll live vicariously through you in Texas. :cheers

Here's a few more pics that Nick and his wife Tracey sent me. Hope they get the video link done up soon!!! :banana

Attachments

• Mountain corner.jpg
    Mountain corner.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 814
  • Mountains.jpg
    Mountains.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 357
  • Valley.jpg
    Valley.jpg
    471.3 KB · Views: 360
  • Streetside.jpg
    Streetside.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 349
  • Sunset.jpg
    Sunset.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 349

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Slow day at work, so I thought I'd add a few more pictures. :lol

Nick says he might have the video link done tonight! Hope so!!! :banana

Attachments

• Midnight Blue and Dymags.jpg
    Midnight Blue and Dymags.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 329
  • Red Black.jpg
    Red Black.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 333
  • 3 sisters.jpg
    3 sisters.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 329
  • 3944951729_2a8608f0c5.jpg
    3944951729_2a8608f0c5.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
very cool pictures, the one going over the pass, epic.

GTNick

GT Owner
Mar 14, 2009
Alright folks, here is a very short video clip of some of the footage from this journey. I have many more hours of footage to sort through and compile into a viewable video of some sort. Watching GTs dancing on the highway from the vantage point of another GT is a sight that is second to none...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8E0CT_MMqo

It was a fantastic trip... hopefully more of you can come out next year!

Nick

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Nice to see you double your post count Nick!! :lol :thumbsup

In case Pro did not tell you I thought your California DVD was top notch. Good to see you still have the touch. :cheers

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Alright folks, here is a very short video clip of some of the footage from this journey. I have many more hours of footage to sort through and compile into a viewable video of some sort. Watching GTs dancing on the highway from the vantage point of another GT is a sight that is second to none...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8E0CT_MMqo

It was a fantastic trip... hopefully more of you can come out next year!

Nick

Awesome!! Thanks Nick. Funny how it always looks like we're going about 10 MPH in videos!! :lol

Nice to see you double your post count Nick!! :lol :thumbsup

In case Pro did not tell you I thought your California DVD was top notch. Good to see you still have the touch. :cheers

Haha, up to 2 posts!!! Not often, but his quality to post ratio is outstanding!!! I did mention the Cali DVD praise. I can't wait for the new one. It'll make the coming winter go by a little faster! :thumbsup

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
That was some beautiful country, great pix's, and video. Thanks for posting guys!

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Haha, up to 2 posts!!! Not often, but his quality to post ratio is outstanding!!!

I agree. I would rather have the quality of Nick's posts than the volume of mine!! :wink

I like the white stuff on top of the mountains......as long as I see it from a distance. I hate it when you mention winter because I know it is time to tuck in your GT............but I am sooo ready for hockey season. :cheers

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Made me homesick....grew up in Calgary...had a '69 Z28 out of college and the roads west of Banff, South to Radium Hot Springs, and around the Okanagan valley were a lot of fun. Wish it were closer as the GT would be a blast. Looks like you all had a great time.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Pro and GTNick

The pix and video are very nice! The scenery is incredible. Thank you for sharing.

Ed

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I'm not missing the next trip! Give me a little warning and I'll block my calendar and make sure I am back northwest in God's Country.

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI
truly amazing! great photos!

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm not missing the next trip! Give me a little warning and I'll block my calendar and make sure I am back northwest in God's Country.

We'll make sure you've got LOTS of lead time for next year!!! :thumbsup

truly amazing! great photos!

Thanks Isaac. High praise indeed when it comes from the master! :bow