Road Trip home…finally.

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
After buying my car in late October, it is finally coming home. My son and I flew to Jersey to visit Bob Ida, who has had the car since very early November. We left our house about 5am, got to Bob’s about 11am and hit the road at noon. Our first day ended as designed in Knoxville, TN. We arrived at Midnight, no bad weather, no mishaps with the car. Wow is it a beast. We headed south out of Jersey through Philly, Wilmington, Baltimore and DC before turning west on 66 and then SW on 81. Too much of the ride was in the dark but we avoided the weather and the car can always come back this way in the spring or summer.
I put about 655 miles on the car today, I don’t know if I can catch some of you who are at or above 40k, but I’m gonna try! It will turn over 16k miles by Sunday.
Thanks to all of you who helped me figure out parts sources and thanks most of all to those of you who drive your car regularly and encouraged me to do the same.
Submoose

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
That's awesome (y) When I was shopping for my first one it was looking like one in Texas, and I considered buying it and driving it home to FL. Deal didn't pan out, and I'm not sure I could've followed thru with that drive idea anyway, but good for you! 🍻

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There are a couple inches of snow from last night in St Louis. Not icey or super cold. Remember, do not punch it with the wheel turned. The car has prominent oversteer and the back end will come around; also, try not to use the headlights too much. The heat generated causes spider cracks on the inside of the lens and they get hazy.

Reactions: Mike Mosing

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Congrats on picking it up and drving it home.

I've driven across the continent a couple times in mine. Other than not have a cruise control, it's a pretty comfortable road car. At some point soon, go find a big empty parking lot and see what happens if you stomp on the throttle with the steering wheel turned.

Then don't do that.

Reactions: steved57

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
Congrats on picking it up and drving it home.

I've driven across the continent a couple times in mine. Other than not have a cruise control, it's a pretty comfortable road car. At some point soon, go find a big empty parking lot and see what happens if you stomp on the throttle with the steering wheel turned.

Then don't do that.
Thanks for that advice Pete. I broke it loose in 2nd going straight down a road about 5 miles after picking it up. It definitely has power at low rpm! Driving in the fog on top of the Smoky Mountains was a bit harrowing but there was no one around. This morning it started snowing at the top of Monteagle just past Chattanooga…on the way down and with little warning. That was a clincher. Otherwise no scares on this trip. We are about 50 min from home. Looks like it will be a 1300+ mile trip and my 16yr old is bringing it home with a smile on his face as big as the front grill!

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I was going to suggest you could've take. The Blue Ridge Parkway home .... Did you??!

Twturbo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 28, 2022
Upland SoCal
Congrats & how about some pics ,glad it all turned out well for you .

Reactions: Submoose

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
do I need a flicker account to do pics here?.…man I had the weirdest dream, thought it was 2020’s and i had a Ford GT…I‘m gonna go check my MySpace account and download some songs from Napster :unsure:
seriously, how do you post pics on this site?

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
I was going to suggest you could've take. The Blue Ridge Parkway home .... Did you??!
Well not exactly but yeah we drove all over western NC and TN. Once I figure out the picture thing I have a bunch loaded up that shows the route and the car along the way. Without a doubt the best part is the smile on my son’s face!

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Well not exactly but yeah we drove all over western NC and TN. Once I figure out the picture thing I have a bunch loaded up that shows the route and the car along the way. Without a doubt the best part is the smile on my son’s face!
Click this button and upload your pic:
1000008354.png

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
Yeah it just puts up a url:// link
i don’t have the “attach files”
Maybe that is because I still am not recognized as an Owner?

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Yeah it just puts up a url:// link
i don’t have the “attach files”
Maybe that is because I still am not recognized as an Owner?
I think you're on the "URL" tab and need to switch to the other one at Step 2:
1000008358.png

Attachments

• 1000008358.png
    1000008358.png
    217 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
I don’t have that option or drop down…only choice is url

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Sorry, I missed where you said you don't have the attach option. I'm not sure what's going on.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I don’t have that option or drop down…only choice is url
Just making sure you're choosing the right one ...
123.png

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
Unfortunately, yes. I found many posts by users who have this problem. Some are listed as “owners” so no idea why this option is not available To me.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Unfortunately, yes. I found many posts by users who have this problem. Some are listed as “owners” so no idea why this option is not available To me.
Oh OK, well most (or all?) members have to send a private message to forum owner / member dbk to notify him you've purchased a GT, to get full access, I think is the way to phrase it. I know I did, and remember reading several others too. Maybe that's the issue.

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
Kinda what i was thinking. I did that to him and Chip over 60 days ago..no response from either one. Another member sent a text to DBK privately, that appears not to have worked either.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Submoose: That's one of those great father/son memories he'll have long after you're gone! Congrats.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Posting for Submoose, until he has the function:
1.jpg