Road Racing a 2005 Ford GT aka Ford GTX

Jul 28, 2016
Hello All,

I wanted to introduce myself and share some videos/information about a 2005 Ford GT that was converted to a full blown race car aka GT Extreme (GTX). I am not the owner of the car but played a big role in it's development and crewed for most of the races. The team owner is busy making money to fund future ventures so I took it upon myself to join this forum and share the racing history as well as it current development. I've encouraged the team owner Steve Tarpley to join the Ford GT Forum and fill in the missing blanks when time allows.

I know this is not the "racing" portion of the forum but given the popularity of the general section I thought it's best shared here. Let me know if you guys want to hear more about the car.

25 Hours of Thundehill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN5G4FQechE

Pirelli Cup Challenge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWB7_LEJCPM

Testing out the new sequential trans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dibulevTmIg

We were not awarded a new Ford GT but were grateful for a reserve position. I hope it pans out and we get our hands on one to continue the legacy.

Last edited:

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Great videos!

Thanks for sharing.

Didn't know that car was out there. Quite an effort.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Jul 28, 2016
Great videos!

Thanks for sharing.

Didn't know that car was out there. Quite an effort.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Thanks!

It was quite thrilling to be part of. Around the west coast tracks the car is a legend. It seems widely unknown elsewhere. As we rebuild the car for future efforts I wanted to share it's past. We were able to secure some unique spare parts from Robertson and Matec to duplicate their pro efforts. The GTX v2.1 will be better than ever!

Last edited:

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Awesome. I will certainly keep and eye out for it moving forward. Best of luck in all your future racing endeavors.

Vince H

Jul 28, 2016
During the course of three racing seasons we lost 2 motors. Because of the nature of road racing the extended crank snout could not handle the repeated acceleration/deceleration of the mass of the supercharger. The crank broke at the nose and we lost boost and oil pressure (due to external pump). On the second motor we even tried a billet crank to no avail. After seeing what Matec and Robertson racing did we decided to follow a similar path.

Let me introduce you to the Ford-Roush/Yates Cammer motor. This very motor crossed the finish line at 24 hours of Daytona in a Daytona Prototype. The weight saving will be huge without the SC and big 5.4 motor. This NA motor will make 550hp all day long. When combined with the Emco sequential it's gonna be a potent combo.

Attachments

• IMG_8509.jpg
    IMG_8509.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_8507.jpg
    IMG_8507.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Epic! Please post an audio clip with the motor at full song.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Now that looks like fun!

Jul 28, 2016
Epic! Please post an audio clip with the motor at full song.

Trust me there will be audio and video of this motor at full song in anger on track!

Jul 28, 2016
Here is another view of the business end of things. Full carbon fiber dash, Motec display for data logging and custom shifter for the Emco sequential trans.

Attachments

• IMG_8513.jpg
    IMG_8513.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 191

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Wow - very cool. I am only 90 miles from T-hill & 70 miles from Sears Point. Let us know the next time you are racing.

Ed

Jul 28, 2016
Wow - very cool. I am only 90 miles from T-hill & 70 miles from Sears Point. Let us know the next time you are racing.

Ed

10-4 will do!