RM auctions review...GTs gathering dust...

Tomcat

GT Owner
I read in an RM auctions review that the GT is a good "investment" and they love the vehicle.
BUT, in the artical it says that although they usually demanded a premium $, late in its production run (2006 or 2007?) some NEW GTs were gathering dust on the Dealers floors.

It got me wondering, anyone here get one of those deals?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I did. I bought a very late 2006 blue/white car from a small dealer in Lincoln, Illinois. It was the only GT they got. The initial "run" on the GTs had ended and the dealer was glad to sell it under MSRP. I believe I paid about $2500 under sticker.

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
Later 2005 production that I bought in 2006 just as production stopped. Found it in upstate NY and paid 5K under sticker.

Stu

Tomcat

GT Owner
Great!

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Late 05 bought in Nov 06. 10k under, but the sticker already had the price increase. Car jumped from 3 dealers before I bought it.

RADGT. Stu, did you get your GT in Buffalo... There was a blue one there the same time I got mine in the DC area.

Bruce

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
Delacy Ford in Elma, NY is in Buffalo area. I never went there as I did the deal by phone.

Stu

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Please remember, there was a $10K increase that took effect in June 2005. Any cars ordered after June 30, 2005 had it. Mine was ordered earlier and built in May 2005, so no increase, but also at a time many were paying $75-100K over sticker.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Paid the msrp sticker price for mine when I bought it brand new with 0 miles in December 2006. $180,000 out the door with tax, title, tags, freight, prep and a borla muffler installed

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
When I started my search there was a brand new yellow car in a dealer showroom in Kansas or Oklahoma (Kansas City, I think). At that time he wanted something like $250K for it. Last I heard he still had it. He said he liked the car and it drew people, but that he didn't really want to sell it but in order to have it "on the floor plan" (I assume he meant insurance, since he'd probably cleared whatever loan) he had to have it for sale with a price. Doesn't mean the price would ever expect to sell. Now that low mileage cars are approaching that number my guess is he's now asking $300K.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I got mine for MSRP and I was thrilled! I had originally had the car for 2k under MSRP .Than the dealer said MSRP or forget it.At that point 2k didn't matter

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Got mine for MSRP - tax, title, license, dealer prep.....out the door for $176K November 2006. By the way, there are two other GTs available locally at dealerships - one red w/white and one blue w/white.

Last edited:

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
On March 13, 2006 I saw the Heritage model of the Ford GT for the first time in an advertisment. I immediately went to my favorite shopping store, EBAY, and found one for sale. I bid 177,002.00 and was awarded the bid at 176,595.00. I then called the Ford dealership, Sonny King Ford in Annistan, AL, who was selling the car and was told that it was not at the dealership but being made at the time. After some anxious moments and calls back and forth, was told the car would be delivered to them on June 6, 2006 by a Reliable Carrier truck from Ford. I contacted the Reliable company and arranged to have my own truck standing by and taking delivery of my car. I did not want the dealership to even touch the car before I did. A few days later the Reliable semi pulled up in front of my house and unloaded my Heritage, exactly as it came from Ford. The driver told me that he watched the car as it was unloaded from the Ford carrier, the dealership only verified the VIN number, and it was loaded into his carrier. After driving the car for three years I decided that if one Ford GT made me extremely happy, how would another make me feel. So in 2009, thanks to Shelby we put together a deal for a 2005, twin turbo, black stripe delete to come and join the Heritage. Sometimes I feel guilty for owning two of these works of art, knowing that someone is not experiencing the pleasure because of my greed. Sometimes I think about purchasing another. When will it ever stop.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Picked mine up August 23rd, 2005 from Santa Monica Ford for MSRP + tax, title and license (approx $164,000). Blue/white with every option EXCEPT Mac audio, just the way I ordered it. It had 7 miles on the odo. Now it has 25,700 miles. Best automotive deal I've ever made.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I got mine at sticker too. October 2005. Local dealer. I was in there to reaffirm my interest in the 07 gt500, wound up with the gt, after we got past their original asking adm.

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
I got mine at sticker too. October 2005. Local dealer. I was in there to reaffirm my interest in the 07 gt500, wound up with the gt, after we got past their original asking adm.

original asking adm on mine was $25K - still have that window attachment.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I would think the majority of cars sold in 06 traded at or below sticker. There were quite a few languishing around Detroit and when production ended the inventory list nationwide had quite a few cars on it. I used that list to direct quite a number of people to cars and they were all pretty much on the sticker or below plan. A member here snagged a Heritage and FMC let him come up to Detroit help deck the motor, and I believe the selling dealer split the difference between invoice and MSRP. The prices of Ford GTs have had a pretty wild ride. Way up, then way down, then way up in a very short period of time.

glord

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Los Gatos California
March of '06 purchased a 2005 from Swanson Ford of Los Gatos on their last day of operation. I had made offers at or near MSRP a number of times over the previous six months it had been sitting in their showroom but it was clear they really did not want to sell it. Walked in on a Sunday, their last day of business, the manager recognized me and simply said "it's yours, I don't want to take it to auction". We settled on $2k under MSRP plus tax and license. Kept the car for three years, sold it to Shelby, regretted selling for the next four years, and just bought a replacement from Shelby a couple months back.